Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5145 (Misses Coat)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

About cabinbabystarstarstarstar
AK USA
Member since: 4/8/07
Posted on:12/28/07 6:10 PM
Last Updated:12/30/07 1:38 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear

JoJoMac said... (10/28/10 7:46 AM) Reply
Adorable "muslin"! I always enjoy your reviews because they are entertaining and thorough. Keep up the great work! I will be making this jacket in a lighter, Florida-friendly version. :)
ladybirdlove said... (7/29/08 11:42 AM) Reply
Thanks for your update! I had decided to leave off the back detail on my version also, but yours looks so cute with it added that I changed my mind! And thanks for the links!
MichelleE said... (1/7/08 12:08 PM) Reply
I just read your review today, been working on this pattern. I have to laugh because I thought the same thing about the lining instructions for the sleeves. I don't hand sew if I can help it! Jacket looks great!
babsi1111 said... (1/2/08 12:14 PM) Reply
Hi cabinbaby, thank you very much for your answer about my lining question. You are right, it really sounds a bit weird what Butterick suggests about the lining and I'm still not sure how I want to solve that problem on my coat. Barbara
Sheila457 said... (12/30/07 4:46 PM) Reply
You did a fabulous job and actually like the poop brown..lol
loohoo44 said... (12/30/07 11:42 AM) Reply
cute! very helpful review, too.
Kellie R. said... (12/30/07 11:03 AM) Reply
Very nice and classic design! It turned out well!
cabinbaby said... (12/30/07 10:36 AM) Reply
babsi1111, The lining pleat is kind of strange. The lining and wool are both seperate with pleats in them and they are joined at the bottom. So the lining pleat part is not really inside the other pleat. YKWIM? It is kind of like having two seperate layers each with a pleat in in it. I'm not sure if it is something strange I did or some weird quirk with the pattern. I really had to press is well because the pleated lining almost acts as a little petticoat in the back. RuthieK, The pattern calls for shoulder pads which I omitted. I have not sewn up the side seam so I will get some and see how they look. Sewiong them in would be difficult at this point but I think I could do it if I liked them. I just hate the puffy-shouldered 80s look.
marjenann said... (12/30/07 9:45 AM) Reply
Very classy coat!!! You wear it extremely well!
RuthieSews said... (12/29/07 9:09 AM) Reply
Smart coat. Does it have shoulder pads? And if not would you consider adding them - I think it might help the whole coat hang better. It does bug me how poor instructions are for linings generally in sewing patterns. I bagged my first lining by machine last year and its soo o much better than the wretched hand sewn ones.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (12/29/07 9:02 AM) Reply
This coat looks great on you! I can't wait to see it with the buttons.
Kitty Couture said... (12/29/07 6:51 AM) Reply
That sure is a great coat! It looks professionally made. Great lines and details.
babsi1111 said... (12/29/07 4:38 AM) Reply
I really like your coat. It's a pattern with wonderful style lines and details. Congratulations to your new wardrobe piece! As I'm making a coat from Patrones at the moment, which has very similar style lines, I'm interested to know, how you lined your coat in the back. Did you cut the lining with or without the pleat and did you let the lining hang loosely or did you join it with the bottom hem. Thanks Barbara
MelissaB in WA said... (12/29/07 0:05 AM) Reply
Lovely coat - I have this pattern in my stack - hopefully I'll get to it sooner than later!
Lori V said... (12/28/07 11:23 PM) Reply
Great coat, I love the lines.
gaby said... (12/28/07 9:12 PM) Reply
Very nice job! I've been eyeing this pattern, now I'm convinced I must add to my stash!
michellep74 said... (12/28/07 8:20 PM) Reply
I really like your coat. I hadn't noticed this pattern before, but I may need to add it to my stash. ;)
suzanrossi said... (12/28/07 7:40 PM) Reply
I like thelines of this coat. Checked out your website, too. We used slings years ago with our daughters - they are wonderful.
AnneMarie60 said... (12/28/07 6:55 PM) Reply
I really like the design of this coat very much. I also love the pockets. Thanks for the great tutorial links and very informative review. You did a great job. What a cutie you have to hold his mommy's hand, too!

Ottobre Design lierihattu