Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3833 (retro dress 1960's)

Reviewed by:Laura O

About Laura Ostar
PA USA
Member since: 6/4/07
Posted on:1/1/08 3:52 PM
Last Updated:1/1/08 4:02 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
LizzM26 said... (9/9/08 7:05 PM) Reply
Wow, it looks just like the envelope picture! I think that what happen to your sizing was that this pattern in particular is suppose to be loose, because I made a dress from this pattern and it is very loose at the waist.
goldesdottar said... (4/5/08 7:42 PM) Reply
I too was a teenager in the '60's; i grew up in the Bay Area then, so culturally i was into the more intellectual side of the counter-culture - but i loved the Carnaby Street Mod look! It's kinda funny - i can't think when i needed a girdle less than in high school, both because of physiology and the A-line style - yet the only time i've worn one was the beginning of high school. There were no pany-hose, and i hadn't quite worked up to the defiance of Beat-style dressing with tights that first year. So there i, and all those other slim girls, were, in our hideous girdles under our A-line dresses! Can you wonder at the burst of sartorial rebellion we went through... ;-} ... I've loved all these versions of this pattern, and also the Threads pattern in the Mod-Retro vein. I think i will try one, in a more subdued palette& at or just below knee length. Thanks to you all!
Hilary said... (1/2/08 1:29 PM) Reply
That looks so cute on you-I have this in my stash and would love to make it for this summer! Thanks for the review, good job on making it fit!
Jane S said... (1/2/08 11:54 AM) Reply
You look fab in this cool dress. I too bought the pattern but would have to bring that length down to my knees. But it has a timeless quality to it.
mommietothree0 said... (1/2/08 0:39 AM) Reply
I bought this one too. I'm over 50 and wondered how it would look just past knee length. It's not too fitted and that might be good.
CynthiaSue said... (1/1/08 9:36 PM) Reply
super cute and you have the cute figure for it! I have often wanted to sew it but I'm not teeny tiny!
MissCelie said... (1/1/08 5:40 PM) Reply
A lot of the big 4 patterns have more ease than most of us want. Way to make it work for your figure though!
Linda G said... (1/1/08 5:09 PM) Reply
Cute dress, I bought the pattern just because I remember when it came out when I was in high school, I have no intention of sewing it!!!!
ladybegood said... (1/1/08 4:20 PM) Reply
Too cute! Thanks for the sizing info... that is exactly why I love PR!

by: velosewer