Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Betsy Ross> 009 (Retro Coat)

Reviewed by:choochie

About choochie
TX USA
Member since: 10/19/06
Posted on:1/3/08 11:19 AM
Last Updated:1/3/08 11:21 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
the great mj said... (9/5/08 9:22 PM) Reply
Thanks for the info, i think i will give it a try.
woole bully said... (4/11/08 5:06 PM) Reply
i have just purchased her wide leg pants pattern. i had never heard of betsy ross company and the review helped me learn about their patterns.
CrescentaLuna said... (1/17/08 10:25 PM) Reply
Wonderful coat! I love the simple neckline, the big buttons, and the length. Thanks for the heads-up about Betsy Ross, I had forgotten about them - this one might be on my to-do list!
Grammy Gin said... (1/4/08 11:50 AM) Reply
You look glamorous in this coat! Great Job ! ;-)
carolynw said... (1/4/08 10:20 AM) Reply
This is one fantstic looking coat - and for your first time sewing outer wear you should be in 7th Heaven for turning out such a stunner!! I have never heard of this pattern company so must make a note of it - for what it's worth I truly think pockets on such an elegant design would be a"no no". I deliberately omit pockets in coats to avoid the temptation of stuffing things into them and ending up with the not so pretty bulging pockets I have seen - a small purse slung over the shoulder is so much better and would well suit such an elegant coat as this
Ronda Rae said... (1/4/08 8:08 AM) Reply
Wow! This coat is definitely sewn well and looks so awesome on you. I wish I were taller!! You did a wonderful job and put together a great review, too.
Lori V said... (1/4/08 0:53 AM) Reply
Fantastic coat.
mylittleelephant said... (1/3/08 7:47 PM) Reply
Great coat, looks lovely on you, with short hair and baggy trousers, so chic!!!
Annette1 said... (1/3/08 5:28 PM) Reply
So chic, I love it, and that goes for the entire outfit! I've never heard of this pattern company, so that's another plus. I think welt pockets would look really nice, or what about a zippered pocket, kind of like a welt pocket, but instead of the welt, put a zipper in there? That would be cute. You could either have the zipper blend in with the fabric or contrast. They have some REALLY cool zippers at thesewingplace.com (but they're expensive). I can remember a Claude Montana pattern from several years back that had zippered pockets, and the overall "feel" of that pattern and this one kind of remind me of each other. Yours is among my favorite coats I've seen this year. :o)
choochie said... (1/3/08 4:21 PM) Reply
Moss - thank you for the idea! I'll have to play around with that. Connie and Lindsay - my husband was so flattered that you thought his photos were great! He enjoys photography but he's hardly a professional, that had me lol-ing. Physics Girl- Arm mobility is fine as far as I've noticed... I'm pretty picky about stuff like that, too. I will have to double check now that you ask. I agree about the clean look of the coat and the pockets, I also thought about an inner breast pocket but I'm not sure I can do it - it seems challenging! I'm getting great ideas from the comments though.
edupraz said... (1/3/08 3:51 PM) Reply
I love the simplicity of your coat. Looks fantastic.
Physics Girl said... (1/3/08 3:01 PM) Reply
I love this coat design! How is arm mobility (esp. when you raise your arms)? I agree that patch pockets would well and would not too difficult to even install (albiet by hand) now. You could also add a botton or snap and flap for security. There are lots of nice retro designs for pocket-flaps. Personally, however, I like the staight clean look of the coat, and I would probably opt for interior beast-level pockets (like on men's-wear coats). It feels more secure to have a wallet or keys hidden there (I have an Air Force jacket with this feature that I wear as outerwear). you might be able to do this also... look at men's dress coats in the thrift or in other RTW. Besides, with a coat this cool, all you need are some distinctive mittens or gloves, and do you want to hide those in pockets?
leanmeansewingmachine said... (1/3/08 2:23 PM) Reply
Love this coat! I've never hear of this pattern company based on your garment I'll definitely check them out.
SansSouci572 said... (1/3/08 1:58 PM) Reply
The coat turned out much nicer than I would have visualized by the line drawing!
SansSouci572 said... (1/3/08 1:58 PM) Reply
LindsayT said... (1/3/08 1:29 PM) Reply
Tres chic coat. Ditto Connie's comment about the photography. Taken by a professional, right?
ConnieBJ said... (1/3/08 1:19 PM) Reply
Love the coat- the photography is wonderful too BTW
Twinset said... (1/3/08 12:55 PM) Reply
Looks very sharp! Great job!
Reiko said... (1/3/08 12:51 PM) Reply
It is so beautiful! I love it.
Irene Q said... (1/3/08 11:28 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat - so much nicer than the pattern picture! Great job!!
moss said... (1/3/08 11:26 AM) Reply
Fabulous! It looks fantastic on you and it looks very well done also. P.S. I think big rectangular patch pockets would work well.

Kwik Sew 2994