Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7976 (Today's Fit Jacket)

Viewed 1925 times
Reviewed by:Karen6790

About Karen6790starstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 3/2/06
Posted on:1/8/08 9:41 AM
Last Updated:2/27/08 8:00 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 38 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Sweater knit fabrics

Joanne624 said... (1/6/10 6:40 PM) Reply
What an absolutely beautiful jacket! You do great work!!
LizzM26 said... (8/27/08 8:52 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket. I am impress.
AngieC said... (8/26/08 0:37 AM) Reply
WOW! What a beautiful jacket! Wonderful review and an inspirational project for sure! Thank you for sharing~
Mahogany Stylist said... (3/22/08 9:00 PM) Reply
Great jackets!
cecelia said... (3/1/08 2:41 PM) Reply
Both jackets are TDF--what a wonderful job you did--let's hear it for "slow sewing." You'll get lots of mileage out of these 2 winners.
Luckylibbet said... (2/28/08 7:48 PM) Reply
WOW. I'll say it again. WOW. You'll have to buy insurance on that jacket in case one of us steals it from you in a fit of leather envy. (kidding)
Erica B. said... (2/28/08 2:08 PM) Reply
This jacket is so fabulous! I love it.
Sherril Miller said... (2/28/08 12:41 PM) Reply
Went to your blog, but I couldn't find a pic of you wearing it. I'd love to see you with a great big smile wearing that wonderful jacket.
Sherril Miller said... (2/28/08 12:22 PM) Reply
Your leather jacket is fabulous. I have jacket envy now. Thanks for all the tips working with leather. Your review was very inspirational.
SexiSadi said... (2/28/08 12:10 PM) Reply
GREAT job on the jacket!
carolynw said... (2/28/08 9:20 AM) Reply
Karen I am speechless - what an absolutely fantastic job you have done with this leather - would swear you got it at some high end store!
cindyann said... (2/28/08 9:05 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for this review! I have some leather that wants to be a jacket too. Like you, I've never made a "garment" from leather. Glad to know that it's not a difficult as we believe. Your patience and care are well noted! Bookmarking your review for future reference. The jacket is AWESOME.
nancy2001 said... (2/28/08 8:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket.
Robbie Jo said... (2/28/08 7:57 AM) Reply
OMG!!! I am in awe of your skill and COURAGE!!!
Shrazzy said... (2/28/08 6:35 AM) Reply
Wonderful jacket. The darts in the leather are very striking .
Lori V said... (2/27/08 11:56 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, Karen. You did an incredible job.
Em's Summer said... (2/27/08 10:45 PM) Reply
WOW!!! That design is just simply TDF!!! I love the darts! It makes the jacket look so high end designer! And you did a great job putting it together. Your jacket is just beautiful!!! Waay better than anything in the stores! Great job and great review!!!
SansSouci572 said... (2/27/08 9:17 PM) Reply
What a great choice for your first leather pattern, I would have never thought of it! What a rush for you!!
Olivia Sews said... (2/27/08 9:16 PM) Reply
Wow! I can't believe I missed this review earlier. Did you sew this on a regular or industrial machine?
lilyofthevalley said... (2/27/08 8:50 PM) Reply
Just a kickin' leather jacket, Karen. Looks perfect from all angles, including your zipper installation. Leather is one of my favorite 'fabrics' and shortly, will be one of yours, following your great success. This one would be equally at home on a bike and at a Broadway show, with fancy dinner afterwards. Brava! -Lily
Athene said... (2/27/08 8:46 PM) Reply
Wow -what a gorgeous jacket. I had to add your review to my favorites - I have the pattern and after seeing this review I'm seriously thinking about cutting up a red suede swing coat I have that I never use.
MarilynB said... (2/27/08 8:31 PM) Reply
You are an inspiration to all of us, Karen. Your jacket is lovely. Next PR weekend, I'm sure more of us will be stocking up on large amounts of leather.
Karen6790 said... (2/27/08 8:04 PM) Reply
Ryansmum, I got the 40 sq. feet for approximately $110. So taking my time into account, I probably didn't save a lot by making this myself, but sometimes it's not about the money, right?
ryansmumAria said... (2/27/08 7:51 PM) Reply
unbelievable! Would you tell us approximately what the cost of the leather was...thanks
NEDayNow said... (1/12/08 9:54 AM) Reply
Karen, this is fabulous! Can you tell us more about how you dealt with the zipper? The instructions are a bit sparse.
ryan's mom said... (1/10/08 11:13 AM) Reply
Wow!! That jacket looks terrific, Karen. And I can't wait to see it in leather!!!
Kellie R. said... (1/9/08 2:49 PM) Reply
Holy Smokes Karen! Two things pop to mind: 1) a muslin?!?! 2) you make me feel better about being a slow sewist if this is the quality of work that it results in. This jacket is STUNNING in both workmanship and fabric selection.
Jane S said... (1/9/08 10:36 AM) Reply
Wow, wow , wow, what a stunning jacket. I've had a muslin of this one for 1 1/2 years and must do it in 2008! Thanks for your detailed and timely review, it's inspiring.
Marji said... (1/9/08 8:17 AM) Reply
Karen, this looks great! Love the thought you put into creating a fabric that has the right drape and hand to emulate the leather, and still you created a garment that is much more than a 'wearable muslin', you created a beautiful jacket that stands on it's own. Love it!
Karen8320 said... (1/9/08 7:51 AM) Reply
Karen, this is an amazing piece of work! Everything about it is impressive and it looks absolutely gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see it in leather.
Debbie Cook said... (1/9/08 6:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!! This pattern is on my short list too. I love your fabric choice, but muslin? Nah! It's too wonderful to call a muslin.
BillieJean said... (1/9/08 6:31 AM) Reply
I don't know how I've missed this pattern. I love the collar and the darts down the side just add so much. Beautiful jacket.
PegL said... (1/9/08 5:35 AM) Reply
Very pretty jacket! Nicest ''muslin'' I've seen!
CynthiaSue said... (1/8/08 11:33 PM) Reply
yes this IS fantastic. so professional and the weight with your flannel turned out perfectly.
Linda G said... (1/8/08 8:30 PM) Reply
You did a great job, good review and I enjoyed your blog. I can't wait to see your leather version.
Kay Y said... (1/8/08 8:19 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket, and your lining is truly special! A great example of slow sewing. I'm looking forward to reading about the leather one.
jlg said... (1/8/08 7:30 PM) Reply
Great job on this jacket. The fabric is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
nancy2001 said... (1/8/08 7:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket.
carolynw said... (1/8/08 6:13 PM) Reply
Well Karen thsi is absolutely beautiful - I looked at it and went OMG I want this - but of course with the fabric fast not possible and anyway not much chance of finding material as beautiful as yours. I just love the finished product and yes - there are really benefits to sewing slowly again after madly dashing about before Christmas and making all sorts of really, really silly mistakes.
Riordan said... (1/8/08 5:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket--the fabric is wonderful and it looks very professionally made!
JudiBee2 said... (1/8/08 5:43 PM) Reply
It's outstanding. I think you can use it for a long time and enjoy those great fabrics. Thanks for letting us know about removing the sleeve ease. You did a great job with the zipper. I would love to know how you got it so even.
bluenines said... (1/8/08 5:03 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket,, you have done a beautiful job!
Oziroo said... (1/8/08 4:42 PM) Reply
This jacket looks wonderful. Your very careful work really paid off.
ButtonFaith said... (1/8/08 3:39 PM) Reply
What a great jacket! I would have passed right over that pattern had I not seen your jacket! And that's a muslin??? Don't keep us waiting for the leather one too long!
sideseams said... (1/8/08 3:30 PM) Reply
karen, thank you for your detailed review. I learned a lot and want to try this pattern. Love your jacket.
rivergum said... (1/8/08 1:49 PM) Reply
Karen, what a great jacket! You did such a terrific job on that. I LOVE the lining especially.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/8/08 1:30 PM) Reply
Looks fantastic! I love the fabric, the style and even the great lining!
Irene Q said... (1/8/08 12:41 PM) Reply
Muslin??? Hah! That's one beautiful jacket! And this pattern is going to look really nice in the leather, too - looking forward to seeing that, whenever you get to it!
Ronda Rae said... (1/8/08 12:31 PM) Reply
Ditto, what Cindy-Lou said!
Annette1 said... (1/8/08 12:28 PM) Reply
Well, I must say this is the prettiest "muslin" I've ever seen! :o) I love looking at all of your pictures of this fantastic jacket! I've mulled over that pattern many a time, but until I saw your review here, it never really appealed to me -- ha! Your workmanship is impeccable, and your fabrics just divine! I like your resolution, too: ditto on that!
Sherril Miller said... (1/8/08 12:26 PM) Reply
That is a georgous jacket. I went shopping for a jacket yesterday and the only thing I found that beautiful was $200. Thank you for reminding me of this great pattern which happens to be in my stash.
nicegirl said... (1/8/08 12:01 PM) Reply
I am so inspired by all your hard and patient work! You put a lot of effort into this and it really shows. And good for you for cutting into the silk. I really need to learn to do that.
Peggy L said... (1/8/08 11:51 AM) Reply
Great jacket - lovely lining. Thanks for the heads up on the sleeve instructions. I find that mind boggling, too but I have this pattern in my stash and will check out SB's instructions.
Mary Stiefer said... (1/8/08 11:31 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. Love how you fused the fabrics together to get what you want. Fabulous
CarolynGM said... (1/8/08 11:16 AM) Reply
What a clever way to put fabrics together to simulate leather for your muslin. The sleeves look like they went in beautifully with the reduced ease. Truly a great jacket.
Jan B. said... (1/8/08 11:15 AM) Reply
Fantastic jacket! You really worked it, and the results show it. It's interesting how your fabric photographed. I've looked at this pattern many times with it's unusual front darts. I enjoyed looking around your blog too.
cindy-lou said... (1/8/08 10:34 AM) Reply
Mmmmmmm, Mmmmm, what a great jacket! Love the fabric, love the look. And thanks for re-affirming my 2008 idea that I can cut into some good stuff, even if I was kinda sorta thinking of a different project-- and re-affirming my desire to do it slow, but do it right. Thanks for the review. And I just ordered this pattern--I'm lovin' life now!
gatorgirl4325 said... (1/8/08 9:47 AM) Reply
Your jacket is absolutely fabulous! You did a great job putting it all together.

Victoria Jones Collection Pattern 205