Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 06-2007-127 (Princess seam blouse)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:1/10/08 11:49 AM
Last Updated:8/14/08 10:17 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
EveS said... (8/14/08 10:42 PM) Reply
What a fabulous idea!!! I'm so stealing it the first opportunity I get (that's a compliment, of course) :) Gorgeous!!
Mufffet said... (8/14/08 5:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt....what a great idea. So so pretty. Blouse story sad, but that skirt....a work of art.
MissCelie said... (8/14/08 12:37 PM) Reply
You know, six hours on a blouse is not *that* long!
Tiner W said... (8/14/08 10:31 AM) Reply
This is beautiful. If I turned a tablecloth into a skirt, it would look like a tablecloth. Yours looks ladylike and lovely. What a great souvenir! My best souvenir was the shiny red vinyl wallet with scenes from Wisconsin Dells! I wish I still had it!
MissCelie said... (1/11/08 11:09 PM) Reply
Having seen this is person, I can tell you it's incredibly adorable and very very cute. I am sorry abouy the Mood fabric. I can just *hear* you on the phone...
Birgitte said... (1/11/08 2:31 PM) Reply
Your blouse is gorgeous and, even though you didn't plan it that way, I think the wrinkled fabric looks young and 'fresh', adding a nice contrast to the vintage feel.
edupraz said... (1/11/08 11:41 AM) Reply
Love the blouse! The fabric LOOKS fantastic, even if it was a b*tch to work with!
Grammy Gin said... (1/11/08 10:17 AM) Reply
Beautiful blouse, Nicegirl...no one will know about the fabric unless you tell them. You look so demure! ;-)
DivaQ said... (1/11/08 9:39 AM) Reply
The blouse turned out really cute despite the fabric shortcomings.
Danvillegirl said... (1/11/08 6:49 AM) Reply
Left ocmment on your blog.
jillnjosh said... (1/11/08 2:47 AM) Reply
Re: blog entry & placket (blogger hates me): Have you thought about using silk organza for interfacing your placket? It will give body without having to use a hot iron. If you have any Sulky KK2000, it works really well for holding things in place while you try to sew them on. The shirt looks great, and the shoulders sit right where they should, which is always a pet peeve of mine.
slanden99 said... (1/11/08 0:17 AM) Reply
Nice blouse! Love all the details
Karen6790 said... (1/10/08 9:38 PM) Reply
Bet you're glad you don't live near Mood! I'd be in there throwing that tiny pile of scraps at them. Beautiful job, though, and you can't see any problems with the fabric in the photos. Love what you did with the cuffs.
CynthiaSue said... (1/10/08 8:47 PM) Reply
hardly ANYbody can pull of this grey and look so good! Great job.
Heatherrique said... (1/10/08 7:03 PM) Reply
NiceGirl, your blouse looks like a showstopper from my perspective! For what you paid for the fabric, you expect the fabric to at least stand up to normal ironing ! I admire your persistence on your project with this fabric or wanna-be fabric and still you created a couture looking piece! I enjoyed your review of this pattern, and I liked your modifications to make this pattern your own!
frame said... (1/10/08 5:29 PM) Reply
I'm sorry your experience was so frustrating, but your blouse looks terrific.
fuzzygalore said... (1/10/08 3:28 PM) Reply
Oh, this kind of thing would make me totally unhinged! It's very good of you to finish after you started melting it, but I think I'd have thrown it right out and cut it out in a good fabric again, so as not to waste time on something I'd hate forever. It looks great on you, do please make it again...
SansSouci572 said... (1/10/08 2:53 PM) Reply
Nicegirl, you have been making some very lovely items. You have a nice little boutique closet now!
CarolynGM said... (1/10/08 2:08 PM) Reply
That's such a shame about the crappy fabric, but the blouse sure is cute. I hope you'll make another one.
Lori V said... (1/10/08 1:52 PM) Reply
Sorry about your fabric being such a pain. I do like the design and the buttons are perfect.
rosannec said... (1/10/08 1:50 PM) Reply
Lovely shirt, Trena! What about trying to press with a pressing cloth as a barrier? That really sucks about paying so much for cheapo depot fabric, but it really is pretty. The color is fab on you, too. Also, your cuffs are fantastic - major improvement on the original design.
Jodi B. said... (1/10/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Sorry, Trena. That sounds so frustrating. Sorry to hear about the cheap fabric but the shirt looks great.
tentmaker said... (1/10/08 1:02 PM) Reply
When you get tired of fooling around with the cheapo fabric, this pattern would be beautiful in a georgeous silk or maybe a real soft rayon or maybe even cotton batiste. Choose something that looks good with your buttons. I like the stripes though. Anyway before you toss it, recycle the buttons.
jent said... (1/10/08 12:16 PM) Reply
I am so sorry about your fabric. I usually end up throwing projects like that out - just because it makes me so mad, I'd rather get rid of it than keep reliving the agony. I do think your blouse is lovely, though, and the sleeves are gorgeous.

HotPatterns 1121