Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2007-114 (Kimono Knit Top)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:1/17/08 10:17 AM

TanyaMT said... (1/18/08 9:52 PM) Reply
Nice review and nice save on the top. Looking at the model again, her large belt nearly reaches her armpits, so maybe the top is just as short on her! Your second version looks quite nice on you.
ChristineX said... (1/18/08 6:03 PM) Reply
Your physique is almost identical to mine (except I'm not as thin) so I really appreciate your review. You did a great job rescuing it from the first incarnation! LOVE the color!
fuzzygalore said... (1/18/08 3:17 PM) Reply
Love the concept of 'just bordello enough for work' :-). But back to technique, I think you should wear this a bit, and maybe you'll see also that this makes you look like 'a woman with a full bust and skinny waist'. You'd need a hell of a beer belly (same job perhaps..) to not look like you have a skinny waist, when contrasted to those sleeves. Really, I like it a lot..
Irene Q said... (1/18/08 10:15 AM) Reply
I think it looks good! FWIW, the pattern actually calls for a different (stretchier) fabric for the lower part, which scared me off from trying it. Nice to see that you can use the same fabric, with some work. Great job!
SarahSM said... (1/18/08 2:06 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review. I, too, am long-waisted for my height, but since I'm short, that usually isn't an issue for me. Good to know that it is a factor for this pattern...
MelissaB in WA said... (1/18/08 0:59 AM) Reply
Gosh I am so surprised you don't like the top - it looks fantastic on you! I can't believe how short it was to begin with - holy cow! The color is so pretty too - hope you decide you like it and wear it. I feel your pain of being small chested - I'm not just a member, I'm president! LOL
SusiM said... (1/18/08 0:26 AM) Reply
Thanks for sharing such valuable observations on this style. I really like your reviews. Y'know, it's really a pretty nice top -
Allie in Hong Kong said... (1/17/08 11:46 PM) Reply
i expect you hated it originally because of all the alterations you made, but it was worth it as it looks great now. Hopefully it will keep growing on you as the alteration process gets forgotten!
LoriB said... (1/17/08 3:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this - I considered this pattern, but I'm a pear too and with all the alterations you went through I think I'll pass. The top does look pretty good on you in the end and probably looks similar on the model, if she weren't in that strange pose. Maybe that's it...you need to pose like the model, complete with high ponytail, black gloves, and patent leather belt!
cindy-lou said... (1/17/08 2:10 PM) Reply
Trena, thanks for reviewing this one! I've wondered if it would look good on my full bust, or would end up like SuperJaneMansfield. I'll try it out! BTW... it looks REALLY GOOD on you You should wear it. A lot. :)
MarijaSLO said... (1/17/08 2:00 PM) Reply
Great! I love the photo "too short". :)
Birgitte said... (1/17/08 12:57 PM) Reply
I truly appreciate your thorough and frank review. My DD has a very similar figure to yours, and I used to pin-fit her swayback from a very early age. I personally adore swaybacks. Like sewbehind said, "It's not all about the bust..." My favorite era is the 20's... flowing, feminine and, very often, all about the back :-)
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (1/17/08 12:16 PM) Reply
I really like this top on you and plan to make it too in a rib knit. I have an AA bust w/o padding and find under the bodice gathered tops droop cos of lack of filling LOL !! Cant remember if this patern has gathers, I'll fold them away if so. It looks really cute on you and love the belt !
sewbehind said... (1/17/08 11:46 AM) Reply
I think it does suit you. The sleeves give you balance at the top. I noticed it right away when I saw the picture. It's not all about the bust, you know! :>)

Indygo Junction IJ866 Midtown Trench