Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1405 (Basic Dress)

Viewed 1955 times

Sewing skills:Beginner
Posted on:4/28/03 1:14 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
Ginger said... (4/29/03 10:44 AM) Reply
Thank you all for the kind words. I have Fit for Real People...I think. I will definitely check it out. I hope it is illustrated well.
Everyday Sewist said... (4/29/03 0:12 AM) Reply
Oops, my comment should read, "often you can just taper out TO a larger pattern size at the bust. For example, if you wear a size XXL you could just widen the side seams about 1/4" or more starting at the lower armhole and ending below the bust area. (BTW, you would then need a corresponding adjustment at the sleeve side seams to make it fit the new armhole.) The Fitting Finesse book shows you how to do the same thing but not necessarily requiring an adjustment to the sleeve or armhole.
pamela thickens said... (4/28/03 11:55 PM) Reply
Hi Ginger! I also recommend Fitting Finesse by Nancy Zieman Do you have a fax #? I could fax you the directions. pamelat@electroniclaim.com I could do it 2=morrow...:]
Everyday Sewist said... (4/28/03 11:54 PM) Reply
I've been curious about this pattern. I'm looking forward to your picture. Bust alterations are not hard at all. I second the recommendation for Fitting Finesse. It's very easy, especially if you don't need a lot of other adjustments. Often you can just taper out a larger pattern size at the bust--but be sure to add a dart if you are larger than a B cup. It can make a dramatic difference in the fit. (Fitting Finesse also has the easiest instructions for adding the dart, IMO.)
Susan Parker said... (4/28/03 3:37 PM) Reply
Ginger, if you're going to pick up a book on alteration, I highly recommend Marta Alto and Pati Palmer's book "Fit For Real People". I have several alteration books and this one is the one that works for me. They also describe most alterations one can perform on a bodice or skirt or top--the book shows how to alter fashion patterns not just slopers. And on REAL people. Some slender, some not, and all with fit issues. I look forward to seeing your dress with a full-bust alteration. Keep hanging in there.
AnneM said... (4/28/03 3:33 PM) Reply
Three hours doesn't sound so slow to me. Your library should have some fitting books. You can also check out the book reviews on this website, or go over to the messasge board & do a search in Gigi's forum; there might be some tips there already.
Deepika said... (4/28/03 3:09 PM) Reply
Hi Ginger, I've made this dress three times now. Only recently I learnt how to do the Full Bust Adjustment from my friend Amanda. Just follow the directions in the Fitting Finesse book (by nancy zieman) and its very easy! I have narrow shoulders and that's why my neck was also gaping so I made that alteration as well and I cant tell you what a difference in fit that made. Here's a photo of my latest version in a knit.
Karen Bowers said... (4/28/03 1:41 PM) Reply
ginger, get thee to your library and check out a fitting book, so you can learn to make that oh so necessary bust adjustment.

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest