Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Plaza Jacket (Plaza Jacket)

Reviewed by:Karen W.

About Karen W.star
Member since: 8/31/02
Posted on:5/2/03 0:42 AM
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Pants

Skymom said... (5/5/03 10:55 AM) Reply
I made this in a textural wool with a small plaid, with minimal drape, but otherwise soft. I think it's fine even so--the geometry of the pattern is more obvious since there's less free-form draping. I am small-busted and found that the jacket is still quite short in front and back (I'm 5'6" and it hits right about at my waist), so if you're full-busted, adding length might be wise to provide coverage and additional drape. Here's one thing I did discover when wearing this jacket during the late spring rains: the extreme width makes it hard to fit under a coat: the sides have to get bunched up under your arms. In my fabric, this was bulky and felt weird. If you use a fabric that wrinkles, you'll likely end up with some not-so-great crushed areas on the sides. Nonetheless, i think this would be terrific as a summer coverup to wear over dresses and little tops when the air conditioning is too strong. Also, the back neck construction is mighty nice.
Karen W. said... (5/2/03 5:18 PM) Reply
I am going to have to do some teenage bribing to get my son - the only one in the house who knows how to get a digital photo to the computer - to help me with photos! Then I've got to learn how to get them on to PR! I think a boucle would be fine... if it's a suiting style it may be a bit thick and not too drapey, a knit would probably be like wearing a blanket!
SandraC said... (5/2/03 3:14 PM) Reply
Great review Karen. I made this also and think it has endless possibilities. I did lengthen the front mainly do compensate for my "bust lift" I am a D cup so you can imagine why I did this. Since it is only rectangles this adjustment was very easy to do.
jlg said... (5/2/03 2:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. You make this very tempting. Any chance for a photo?
CatherineN said... (5/2/03 2:27 AM) Reply
Do you think it could be made longer in the front and back? I'm taller than average. Would a boucle work for this? Thanks for your comments.

by: elizaturn