Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2787 (Womens Criss Cross Tops)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

trishapatk said... (8/3/08 12:32 PM) Reply
Very Nice! It makes me want to scout out Jalie patterns. I like the color blocking idea too. Great job! Keep up the good work!
Athene said... (5/9/08 3:46 AM) Reply
Once again, a great top.
EveS said... (5/6/08 4:21 PM) Reply
I love both versions of this top! (Somehow I missed the first one.) This looks like a fabulous pattern that I'm just going to have to cave in and get. As always, great fabric, too!
Twinset said... (5/4/08 7:44 PM) Reply
Cute, cute, cute! Very nice choice of color for you, too! Great idea to use piping to define the geometrical shape of this top!
lilyofthevalley said... (5/4/08 6:05 PM) Reply
Beautifully fitted top, Dawn, in a smashing fabric, and the white trim really pops the vibrancy of your chosen fabric. I agree that it will serve as the perfect cornerstone of your mini wardrobe. You look gorgeous in this! -Lily
DorothyK said... (5/4/08 3:59 PM) Reply
I love this. The tops look great on you. I've never tried Jalie, but this might be the pattern I start with.
lmg said... (2/16/08 10:36 PM) Reply
Lovely tops! I prefer piping myself..but the colour blocking might be neat. This is probably the ONLY Jalie I dont have (LOL). Looks like I will need to get this one too after seeing these lovely versions!
popoagiesmiles said... (2/15/08 6:59 PM) Reply
The versions you made look great. I see what you're going for with the black on the vine print, and it's edgy rather than classic. I say make it the way you really like it. If you want it to be edgy and unique, go for it. I think the print without piping looks very flattering, but it doesn't highlight the design. I agree with others that to highlight the wrap (in a classic way), use solids and piping. But, you definitely could go artsy with this and be very creative!
sewing for fun said... (2/15/08 10:37 AM) Reply
Great top on you - very flattering to your tiny slender frame. I like the black version with the white piping, rather than the colorblocks. Also the plain red with the print piping would look good. I thing the piping emphasizes the design very nicely and IMHO the colorblocking somewhat detracts from the great design overall.
Lori V said... (2/15/08 8:24 AM) Reply
Another winner, the piping just sets it off.
Peggy L said... (2/15/08 6:03 AM) Reply
Another great top!
Sigrid. said... (2/15/08 2:07 AM) Reply
Great top with the piping. Didn't see your mini-storyboard before, but what a great idea to explore the effects of what you have in mind. Excellent addition to your wardrobe too.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/15/08 0:49 AM) Reply
You've implemented your piping idea perfectly and produced a really exciting top. Love it! -Lily
Peggym said... (2/12/08 5:18 AM) Reply
I love your top. I have the pattern so I must set to. I like the red best followed by the wine and the brown. What great ideas you have.
Lucy in Virginia said... (2/11/08 12:53 PM) Reply
You didn't mention this, but last picture in red looks like it has sequins or glitzy trim. This is my favorite; although, I like the piping, too.
Maggie Cat said... (2/10/08 10:21 AM) Reply
Your top is really cute. I like the solid color on one side. Or how about a solid color for the top with striped piping? All options look good. I hope you are better with decisions than I am. lol!!
Rebecca D said... (2/10/08 9:49 AM) Reply
I'm another vote for piping in white. It looks fresh and bright.
slanden99 said... (2/10/08 9:37 AM) Reply
Nice top! How great that it fit you so well. I vote for piping/binding the edges. This is a good example of how prints can disguise pattern seams/designs. If you really want to show off the style, you'll need to use a solid or piping. Colorblocking worked too, but I didn't like it as much. On the other hand busy print fabric is great for simple styles.
j222b said... (2/10/08 7:28 AM) Reply
I like the "crazy print all over."
MelissaB in WA said... (2/10/08 0:16 AM) Reply
Adorable top - I *need* to pick up that pattern (and a few other Jalie too!).
mary in FL said... (2/9/08 10:17 PM) Reply
Your shirt is really nice, but I understand the frustration of the accidental alignments. Argh! I like your mini-storyboard, but what would it look like in all red except for the under-layer? or red with striped piping? or striped with red piping? Oh, the possibilities ... I love your reviews, so you will get all the blame for forcing me to try Jalie patterns ...
Lori V said... (2/9/08 9:00 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful top. I like the solid top on the storyboard.
Dee2 said... (2/9/08 8:17 PM) Reply
Love your top--you really look great! Nice idea to make the storyboard--I vote for white piping.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/9/08 7:42 PM) Reply
What a striking top; it looks great on your petite frame. Another vote for the piping, with a preference for white. Excellent review, too. -Lily
SewLil said... (2/9/08 7:04 PM) Reply
I vote for the piping too. Although it's probably disappointing that you can't see the cross element, I think it's kinda cool that you can't tell.
Kay Y said... (2/9/08 7:00 PM) Reply
This is funny - almost the first thought I had when I looked at your picture was "wow, what a terrific job she did matching that print!" I am not a fan of colour-blocking either so would vote for piping.
cabinbaby said... (2/9/08 6:19 PM) Reply
Okay, so I was hoping there would be a clear preference but you guys are split 2 color-blocking and 2 piping. And I'm not stuck on the white piping or red/brown colorblocking. Those are just what I though might work. A darker piping (wine or brown) might work too. Hmmmm. So many options.
kathleenb said... (2/9/08 6:03 PM) Reply
After your recent Jalie reviews, I'm inspired to try a couple new patterns. This top is a winner on you. My first impulse is a vote for the color blocking!
LindsayT said... (2/9/08 5:59 PM) Reply
Really nice job!
Kaitlinnegan said... (2/9/08 5:45 PM) Reply
Wow! The top looks great. Funny about the print lining up! It really is perfect! As far as your storyboard, it's a tough decision but I think I like the one with the white piping the best.
Jodi B. said... (2/9/08 5:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful top! I like the version with piping a lot better than with the colorblocking -- although I've never been much of a fan of colorblocking.
Linda G said... (2/9/08 5:14 PM) Reply
Wow, I like the ideas with the color blocking and the piping. Great top.
ocotillo said... (2/9/08 4:14 PM) Reply
I think the top you made looks fabulous. As far as making the criss-cross feature stand out, I prefer the solid color on one of the crosses, rather than the piping, although I think either looks great.
boppingbeth said... (2/9/08 3:59 PM) Reply
Beautiful--and wow--I am amazed at how those vines lined up!

Self Drafted Pattern 000