Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2973 (Montana Paris Original)

Reviewed by:Jolet

About Joletstar
Member since: 9/17/02
Sewing skills:Expert/Couture
Posted on:2/17/08 1:05 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Pants
Haute.Couturiere said... (2/16/09 7:49 AM) Reply
Wow! Lovely creation. If I stare at the picture long enough will the jacket materialise by my side :)
Marji said... (9/18/08 7:23 PM) Reply
Wow! this is just gorgeous... Love the color and choice of wool. It looks so rich.
hat-and-bag-lady said... (9/18/08 7:03 PM) Reply
I have this pattern and I have a lightweight denim to make it out of. I was glad to find a review on it. Thank you. It's awfully intimidating with 24 pieces. But the instructions look clear enough
Bonnie O said... (3/11/08 7:43 AM) Reply
WOW! You made a spectacular jacket. I have eyed this pattern for some time but it has scared me off. Finding the exact length zipper sounds like a great tip.
yorkshire lass said... (2/25/08 3:59 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous. I have been wanting this pattern for a while and really, really appreciate your review, it will be helpful if I ever get up the courage to get the pattern. The zipper freaks me out, I just know I won't be able to persuade it into the jacket neatly. Love the fabric and colour you chose, it really makes the jacket sing. Bet you get lots of people asking where you got it, its really stunning.
Diane E said... (2/24/08 12:05 PM) Reply
I love the contrast of the military style and the oh-so-not military fabric color and texture. Soft and cuddly and yet structured and formal. Yummy! And, goes without saying, your typically understated humor had me laughing. "Not very handy" lack of pockets, indeed!
JMarie1962 said... (2/23/08 1:40 AM) Reply
I love this jacket and the colour is fabulous! Yes - it takes a strong woman to wear red but a jacket like this deserves red :) Fantastic job! I'm glad you struggled through the zippers and shared your story. I am going to put this pattern on my Wish List. Thanks for a great review!
Hilary said... (2/20/08 7:07 AM) Reply
That is gorgeous!! Love the color, and it was worth it (I hate adjusting zips from the top, too! lol).
edupraz said... (2/19/08 2:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. I've been on the fence about buying this pattern for awhile, and I love it after seeing your gorgeous version.
Maggie Cat said... (2/18/08 7:13 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket. Sorry about the zipper issues.
sew42mom said... (2/18/08 2:03 PM) Reply
Umm, I forgot to mention that I think your jacket is extremely!!! cool.
sew42mom said... (2/18/08 1:58 PM) Reply
Next time you have to make a garment with separating zippers, please try zippersource.com. I've used them before when I needed an odd size zipper for a jacket for my 4 yo. It is a little expensive - I paid $15 for the zipper and $4 for the fabric but it just makes everything look so much better when you have the right notions!
Stitchcakes said... (2/18/08 10:30 AM) Reply
Love it! Pockets would ruin the line.
marjenann said... (2/18/08 7:56 AM) Reply
What a great jacket!! Absolutely gorgeous!!
Dmd4106 said... (2/18/08 4:00 AM) Reply
Luv the color, great jacket, thanks for reviewing....
SexiSadi said... (2/18/08 0:12 AM) Reply
Nice jacket. It turned out really well!
Erica B. said... (2/17/08 11:13 PM) Reply
Your jacket is gorgeous! I have this on my list to sew for spring in a white denim. I'm so glad you did this review.
Everyday Sewist said... (2/17/08 10:16 PM) Reply
I have been admiring this jacket in the Vogue catalogue for a while. I think your version is much nicer than the picture on the envelope! Thanks for the tips about the zipper.
N_Vogue said... (2/17/08 9:19 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!!! Thanks for the review. A must have pattern!!! Zipper info. is very helpful
Beek said... (2/17/08 7:31 PM) Reply
I have this pattern so your review is going to come in very helpful. I will try to locate a zipper that is the correct size prior to tackling this project though. I think there is a source for custom zippers somewhere out there?
Sew4Fun said... (2/17/08 7:14 PM) Reply
Awesome jacket!!!
lmg said... (2/17/08 6:43 PM) Reply
Totally gorgeous designer jacket. The newest Threads issue reviews this jacket and after seeing your version I can see why. Wow.
jlg said... (2/17/08 6:32 PM) Reply
Wow. This is very, very nice.
nancy2001 said... (2/17/08 6:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it.
CharityAK said... (2/17/08 5:33 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh! I am drooling all over the keyboard. This is totally yummy. LOVE it! I WANT this. :)
Sigrid. said... (2/17/08 5:32 PM) Reply
Geweldig! you made a perfect jacket. Great topstitching. I understand your feelings for missing pockets. And strange that the minimum length for these zippers is so long in the US!
hongkongshopper said... (2/17/08 5:09 PM) Reply
Wow, this is gorgeous. You have done a great job. More photos are always good...
lilyofthevalley said... (2/17/08 4:33 PM) Reply
Yes, 'zipper tab' is exactly the right word, and I HATE when that happens. Now if I say 'uber-cool' will that be the correct way to tell you how stunning your jacket looks? Modern, sleek but with a real presence of attitude! Love it. -Lily
Mahler said... (2/17/08 4:10 PM) Reply
the final result is a smashing hit ! Nice color.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (2/17/08 3:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! Thanks for the info about the zipper and the pockets.
KathleenS said... (2/17/08 3:44 PM) Reply
Great work. The topstitching is beautifully done, especially for a heavyweight fabric (as this looks to be).
Jan Flaherty said... (2/17/08 3:42 PM) Reply
Your jacket is fabulous! Buy a gorgeous pair of leather gloves and carry a killer bag - no pockets necessary. Beautiful jacket.
inkstain said... (2/17/08 3:38 PM) Reply
Kudos! I covet this jacket, which I find intimidating, but now that you've reviewed it, I'm adding it to my Vogue wishlist. And the colour is beautiful. Powerful style, and I bet it looks sharp when worn, too.
Kay Y said... (2/17/08 1:23 PM) Reply
I would love to see a bigger picture of your jacket as I was very interested in this jacket. From what I can see (your photo is pretty tiny) it looks marvellous!

SewBaby "I Can Do It" Cloth Activity Book Pattern