Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5079 (Faux Twist Top Dress)

Reviewed by:twistedangel

About twistedangelstarstarstarstar
CA United States
Member since: 7/18/05
Posted on:2/19/08 4:36 PM
Last Updated:10/21/09 11:54 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 25 people

MarshaG. said... (10/23/09 4:04 PM) Reply
It's just an AMAZING dress, even if making it stretched your patience to the max! I like what you've done so much, that I am going to use your sleeve treatment and dress hem treatment. I'm not sure how that hem will look on me, so I plan to do a 1/4"-3/8" narrow hem with an opening on the underside and feed the elastic through it to "try" the style. I can always pull the elastic out! For others who like this style, but are frustrated with all of the extra layering, etc. you might want to take a look at New Look 6802 which has a similar drape, without so much bulk or trouble, plus there is no zip etc. This is the pattern I plan to use instead of the Butterick.
drsue said... (4/14/09 6:16 PM) Reply
Sooo, I just opened up this pattern, read the directions. Lining? Zipper? What???? Found your review very helpful as it confirmed my suspicions. I may make it anyway but will figure out a different way to finish the neckline if it do. Thanks for the heads up. BTW - - think you can fold out the back darts? don't see why they are there either.
Banja said... (2/21/08 8:34 AM) Reply
Well,I did make this dress a while ago. I just made it out of the envelope, because I needed for the evening, on the same day. It actually looks quite good, but there are definitly to many unnecesary seams. And the main Problem is: With all the layers in the front, it gets haevy. So, thanks for your tips. I like your version.
Julie G said... (2/20/08 9:22 PM) Reply
I love your version! It is really different and interesting. This pattern didn't really interest me because the bodice looked bulky and awkward on the envelope - there are more flattering twists out there, but you've made this one your own, and much better!
Markie1 said... (2/20/08 11:23 AM) Reply's so BEAUTIFUL! I agree about Butterick patterns, I generally find them boring, but you really wrestled this into submission and it is really something. I love the fabric. You made such great use if it. Thanks for the great review.
SusiM said... (2/20/08 11:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for the warning and the info on this one. I was just yesterday browsing fashion sites looking at new styles, and was attracted to a designer RTW very much like your dress. Your garment looks beautiful.
kim*brown said... (2/20/08 10:26 AM) Reply
I love the end result, sorry for the hassles, I've been there.
Modiste Madness said... (2/20/08 8:49 AM) Reply
This is a fantastic and original dress. Glad you were able to work through the nonsense to get to it.
cecelia said... (2/20/08 8:34 AM) Reply
I agree--this sounds like way too much work, and I can't imagine 4 layers. You did a nice adaptation.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/20/08 0:02 AM) Reply
Well, you have certainly "made a silk purse from a sow's ear!" Your dress is yummy, the fabric so dreamy, the draping divine, and I love, love, love your bell hem treatment with elastic Beautiful transformation. -Lily
MelissaB in WA said... (2/19/08 11:10 PM) Reply
Cute version, but I can totally feel your pain. I can easily be wooed by American patterns, but usually have much better (and more sensible) results with BWOF. Enjoy your new dress!
Stephenie said... (2/19/08 10:15 PM) Reply
Too bad this pattern was such a pain in the hiney.....think I'll skip this one. Thanks for the heads up, though. Enjoy the fruit of your labor. ;) It is very beautiful dress.
EveS said... (2/19/08 9:07 PM) Reply
So is it patience or determiniation that made you finish this?! I'd have been doing a tribal dance around my garbage can looong before this. Yiiiikes. Thanks for the heads up. And, really, it DID turn out beautifully, despite @#&% Butterick.
narcissaqtpie said... (2/19/08 9:03 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, but your results make me want to try it even more. I'll do my own thing with this pattern.
barb111 said... (2/19/08 7:29 PM) Reply
The dress is beautiful. You did a GREAT job. One of the reasons I started sewing again was because I wanted something that would fit and would be different. But I find the major pattern companies don't have anything original. Thanks for the heads up because I was going to buy the pattern
MissCelie said... (2/19/08 7:28 PM) Reply
Pooh. I am loooving this. But, there is no way I would go through all you went through to get here. It looks terrific!
carolynw said... (2/19/08 6:18 PM) Reply
Thanks for the "heads up" - your dress looks really nice so do hope you will wear it.
Beek said... (2/19/08 6:09 PM) Reply
What a shame! The dress looks so cute, but now I would never buy the pattern after reading your review. What a great website this is!
Vivienne said... (2/19/08 5:29 PM) Reply
I scooped this pattern up immediately- it was love at first site - read the instructions and fell right out of love. Your version is a beauty but the pattern is a beast.
Em's Summer said... (2/19/08 5:26 PM) Reply
I understand your frustration. BUT I have to say, your dress is beautiful! Just BEAUTIFUL! Because of the draping, it has a very vintage 40s look to it and I just love it! I will probably still try this pattern, but thank you for the heads up and all of the info!

MariaDenmark 101