Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5079 (Faux Twist Top Dress)

Reviewed by:twistedangel

About twistedangelstarstarstarstar
CA United States
Member since: 7/18/05
Posted on:2/19/08 4:36 PM
Last Updated:10/21/09 11:54 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 25 people

MarshaG. said... (10/23/09 4:04 PM) Reply
It's just an AMAZING dress, even if making it stretched your patience to the max! I like what you've done so much, that I am going to use your sleeve treatment and dress hem treatment. I'm not sure how that hem will look on me, so I plan to do a 1/4"-3/8" narrow hem with an opening on the underside and feed the elastic through it to "try" the style. I can always pull the elastic out! For others who like this style, but are frustrated with all of the extra layering, etc. you might want to take a look at New Look 6802 which has a similar drape, without so much bulk or trouble, plus there is no zip etc. This is the pattern I plan to use instead of the Butterick.
drsue said... (4/14/09 6:16 PM) Reply
Sooo, I just opened up this pattern, read the directions. Lining? Zipper? What???? Found your review very helpful as it confirmed my suspicions. I may make it anyway but will figure out a different way to finish the neckline if it do. Thanks for the heads up. BTW - - think you can fold out the back darts? don't see why they are there either.
Banja said... (2/21/08 8:34 AM) Reply
Well,I did make this dress a while ago. I just made it out of the envelope, because I needed for the evening, on the same day. It actually looks quite good, but there are definitly to many unnecesary seams. And the main Problem is: With all the layers in the front, it gets haevy. So, thanks for your tips. I like your version.
Julie G said... (2/20/08 9:22 PM) Reply
I love your version! It is really different and interesting. This pattern didn't really interest me because the bodice looked bulky and awkward on the envelope - there are more flattering twists out there, but you've made this one your own, and much better!
Markie1 said... (2/20/08 11:23 AM) Reply
But...but..but..it's so BEAUTIFUL! I agree about Butterick patterns, I generally find them boring, but you really wrestled this into submission and it is really something. I love the fabric. You made such great use if it. Thanks for the great review.
SusiM said... (2/20/08 11:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for the warning and the info on this one. I was just yesterday browsing fashion sites looking at new styles, and was attracted to a designer RTW very much like your dress. Your garment looks beautiful.
kim*brown said... (2/20/08 10:26 AM) Reply
I love the end result, sorry for the hassles, I've been there.
Modiste Madness said... (2/20/08 8:49 AM) Reply
This is a fantastic and original dress. Glad you were able to work through the nonsense to get to it.
cecelia said... (2/20/08 8:34 AM) Reply
I agree--this sounds like way too much work, and I can't imagine 4 layers. You did a nice adaptation.
lilyofthevalley said... (2/20/08 0:02 AM) Reply
Well, you have certainly "made a silk purse from a sow's ear!" Your dress is yummy, the fabric so dreamy, the draping divine, and I love, love, love your bell hem treatment with elastic Beautiful transformation. -Lily
MelissaB in WA said... (2/19/08 11:10 PM) Reply
Cute version, but I can totally feel your pain. I can easily be wooed by American patterns, but usually have much better (and more sensible) results with BWOF. Enjoy your new dress!
Stephenie said... (2/19/08 10:15 PM) Reply
Too bad this pattern was such a pain in the hiney.....think I'll skip this one. Thanks for the heads up, though. Enjoy the fruit of your labor. ;) It is very beautiful dress.
EveS said... (2/19/08 9:07 PM) Reply
So is it patience or determiniation that made you finish this?! I'd have been doing a tribal dance around my garbage can looong before this. Yiiiikes. Thanks for the heads up. And, really, it DID turn out beautifully, despite @#&% Butterick.
narcissaqtpie said... (2/19/08 9:03 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, but your results make me want to try it even more. I'll do my own thing with this pattern.
barb111 said... (2/19/08 7:29 PM) Reply
The dress is beautiful. You did a GREAT job. One of the reasons I started sewing again was because I wanted something that would fit and would be different. But I find the major pattern companies don't have anything original. Thanks for the heads up because I was going to buy the pattern
MissCelie said... (2/19/08 7:28 PM) Reply
Pooh. I am loooving this. But, there is no way I would go through all you went through to get here. It looks terrific!
carolynw said... (2/19/08 6:18 PM) Reply
Thanks for the "heads up" - your dress looks really nice so do hope you will wear it.
Beek said... (2/19/08 6:09 PM) Reply
What a shame! The dress looks so cute, but now I would never buy the pattern after reading your review. What a great website this is!
Vivienne said... (2/19/08 5:29 PM) Reply
I scooped this pattern up immediately- it was love at first site - read the instructions and fell right out of love. Your version is a beauty but the pattern is a beast.
Em's Summer said... (2/19/08 5:26 PM) Reply
I understand your frustration. BUT I have to say, your dress is beautiful! Just BEAUTIFUL! Because of the draping, it has a very vintage 40s look to it and I just love it! I will probably still try this pattern, but thank you for the heads up and all of the info!

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern