Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5173 (Maggy London knit dress)

Reviewed by:Sharon M

About Sharon Mstarstarstarstar
MN USA
Member since: 8/3/02
Posted on:3/1/08 4:20 PM
Last Updated:3/1/08 4:20 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
MasoumaRose said... (3/8/08 3:43 PM) Reply
NOTE--3/8/08 BUTTERICK put a note on their website that this pattern is being recalled because of "a major error." They aren't saying what the problem is, but on 3/10 they are going to re-publish the pattern (with corrections).
lilyofthevalley said... (3/4/08 0:10 AM) Reply
Wonderfully detailed review re: the pitfalls of this pattern. Though it produced a pretty dress, it's clear that this style is reserved for a limited number of body types. Good save on the FBA; I wouldn't have had a clue how to tackle this one. I'll bet your DD likes this pretty dress. After your review, no one can say she was not well informed. -Lily
coolobreeze said... (3/2/08 6:31 PM) Reply
Sharon, I ran this up last weekend. It fit me and my full bust the same way. :-(
Danvillegirl said... (3/2/08 10:07 AM) Reply
It is a cute dress. However, I agree that it is not that flattering on you nor would it be on me either. Love the Heidi Klum pose!
Sharon M said... (3/1/08 9:20 PM) Reply
Hello everyone - let me respond to the comments about this appearing to have an empire waist... It does not have an empire waist - what is happening is that the knit fabric is hugging my bust completely, including cupping underneath the bustline, and then flaring out. Now I have a small rib cage and upper bust in comparison to my full bust...so this may not happen to everyone with a large bust. I'll be curious to see how this looks on every one else!
cindy-lou said... (3/1/08 7:44 PM) Reply
Okay... You made a very pretty dress, just not what I would have expected from the pattern pic. It's just odd to me that the dress flares below the bust, as if there were an empire seam there. I *never* would have pictured that! - Anyway, *you* did a great job!
michellep74 said... (3/1/08 6:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the detailed review. I just picked this up on sale, but since I'm large-busted, I'm having second thoughts now--it looks so cute on the envelope! I don't think it's particularly unflattering on you--it does almost look like there's an empire waist type seam below the bust.
Beek said... (3/1/08 5:50 PM) Reply
I am so glad you reviewed this pattern. I, too, would've made the mistake of looking at the model and not taking into consideration how I would look in the dress. It is cute, though!

More Knits