Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5235 (Empire Top)

Work in Progress Work in Progress
Reviewed by:cindy-lou

About cindy-loustarstarstar
NC USA
Member since: 7/21/06
Posted on:3/7/08 9:28 AM
Last Updated:3/7/08 9:28 AM
Birgitte said... (3/17/08 5:57 PM) Reply
I understand your utter frustration, we have all been there. Given your gorgeous figure, if it were me (in my dreams...), I would use a non-stretch velvet and fit it very well ( I know, I know- it will require some muslin fitting!). The velveteen I used for my coat could actually be perfect for this. It's soft and quite a lot easier to sew than velvet. I have plenty left over if you need some. Just don't give up, this could be a stunning top on you! HTH, Birgitte
epkiley said... (3/8/08 9:11 AM) Reply
Oh dear! Thanks for taking the time to write all that up!
ryan's mom said... (3/8/08 8:43 AM) Reply
Don't you just hate this? Just when I think I'm not going to make wadders anymore, a major one gives me a headache. It happens. Pick out a TNT and whip it up for instant gratification now.
Karen6790 said... (3/7/08 11:22 PM) Reply
Awwwww, don't you hate when that happens? I know out of every so many garments there are so many wadders, but it still hurts - especially when you tried so many different ways to make it work. Take a deep breath, find a project that isn't too challenging to make , and think of a way to salvage what's left of that beautiful silk. You're too good at what you do to be discouraged for long.
mssewcrazy said... (3/7/08 9:43 PM) Reply
We all try on clothes in rtw that are train wrecks and think nothing of it as it is normal when going to the mall soooo don't beat up on your self for a train wreck that you made. You don't have to sew perfect every time. I read somewhere that most fabric never gets sewn - at least it had its chance to be something wonderful but was a dressing room reject for you. Things like this keep our heads a normal size.
Nancywin said... (3/7/08 8:33 PM) Reply
I'm so sorry you had such a frustrating experience. I think stretch velvet is one of those fabrics that is best the least it is handled. I think your idea of no zipper seems to make sense, but probably won't work because of the stitching involved to attach a gathered skirt to it. Also, since the skirt is gathered, and therefore bulky (even though the fabric is fine) you may need to put some kind of stablilzer (fusible stay tape?) at the seamline of the bodice. Although this eliminates the stretch of the velvet, this also seems to be the problem - too much stretch. I think your idea of doubling the fabric for the skirt is good, but also another reason you need to stabilize the bodice. Of course, I'm talking from complete inexperience since I have never done this combination of fabrics together, so take it for what it is worth (maybe not much)!
layla said... (3/7/08 2:06 PM) Reply
We can all relate to this one ... gathered empire tops I think were made for twiggy bodies ..boobs need not apply .. I also have this pattern ...thank you for reminding me.
MelissaB in WA said... (3/7/08 10:34 AM) Reply
((((Cindy Lou)))) Sorry about all the disasters. Trust me, we've all been there and we just learn from our mistakes. Don't lose you're sewing mojo, just do some simpler projects to boost your ego. You're an excellent seamstress so don't let one bum project get you down!

by: melmel1265