Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5186 (Misses Lined Vest)

Reviewed by:Rosebeee

About Rosebeeestar
OR USA
Member since: 10/16/07
Posted on:3/8/08 9:23 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests
Rosebeee said... (5/17/08 10:35 AM) Reply
Hi Rhonda! For lining material I used cotton sateen. :) I don't like the feel of the polyester lining fabrics. The cotton sateen worked wonderfully, and I highly recommend it.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (5/16/08 5:21 PM) Reply
Hi! What did you use for lining material with your poly/cotton?? Thanks!!
halleyscomet said... (4/5/08 10:32 PM) Reply
I had the same wrinkling in the armhole location too. I think it's because it didn't call to clip the seam. Next time I'm going to do just that and hopefully that will cure the problem.
SewVeryTall said... (3/9/08 10:22 AM) Reply
Very nice! I just remembered vests myself, and made one [haven't reviewed it yet]. An ad on tv made me remember them...worn like yours, with an untucked blouse underneath...cool idea!
lilyofthevalley said... (3/9/08 3:17 AM) Reply
A very classic but very versatile vest; you can dress this up or down, as desired. I agree with Nancywin on clipping the princess seams before sewing. You'll get nice smooth lines, no matter how large your FBA is. Your second planned vest in black cotton w/ silver spirals will be equally wonderful. -Lily
mssewcrazy said... (3/8/08 11:02 PM) Reply
I hadn't thought about making a vest in a long while but I think I would like a combo like yours to wear. I like the look of the blouse or the tee untucked under it.
Nancywin said... (3/8/08 10:15 PM) Reply
Great vest, and even with the wrinkling, I think you will get a lot of wear out of it. I agree that the wrinkles are probably due to the way you sewed the seams. I always stay stitch both curves of the seams and do a LOT of clipping before sewing them. Also, make sure that you line up any notches or matching marks to avoid stretching the fabric. I really need to make a vest for myself. Good job

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns