Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2842 (Vogue Bridal Original)

Reviewed by:GwenC

About GwenCstar
FL USA
Member since: 4/22/07
Posted on:3/20/08 11:28 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Pattycakes60 said... (11/3/10 3:49 PM) Reply
Gwen, I am so inspired by your story of making your beautiful wedding gown for your friend. I am making this dress for my daughter's wedding on December 31st. She loves the pattern and asked me to do it. I've never made a wedding dress before, however I, too, took the online courses (Top 10 Couture Techniques and Underlining), and I purchased Susan Khalje's "Bridal Couture" book. I'm going to study your blog carefully. Thank you for going through the trouble. I'm sure it will be very rewarding in the long run, but right now I'm just a little scared. If I have any questions, may I ask you for help? I'm making View A, by the way, with the sleeves. Thanks, Pat
michele70 said... (9/13/10 1:14 PM) Reply
This review was very helpful, I'm trying to choose between two fabrics for this dress and now I know to go with the one that has more body.
Passion4Sewing said... (8/25/09 6:52 AM) Reply
I had never noticed this pattern til today (8-25-09). This would have been a good base dress for the dress I made my dd. You did an excellent job and I am sure your friend appreciated the present!
Tee Jones Actie said... (4/15/09 7:54 PM) Reply
Absolutely georgoeus, this pattern is in my stash. Hopefully I'll convince one of my clients to use it!
MizTeeJay said... (12/21/08 11:38 AM) Reply
I am also doing this dress for a September 2009 wedding as a gift to the bride... she is a fuller figured lady and your review was awesome. She and I both looked at your work and you did an amazing job....
pinkli said... (4/2/08 8:12 AM) Reply
What a delight it must be to have you as a friend. The bride looks lovely in a dress that looks stunning. Good for you!
BeckyC said... (3/25/08 8:48 AM) Reply
What a beautiful wedding dress! The bride looks gorgeous wearing it! What a wonderful gift you gave her.
Membear said... (3/24/08 8:17 PM) Reply
Gwen you did a brave and very good thing !! I think you can adavance a level at leat !! Its beautiful and I bet that you ae ready to take on the world now!!
wvsher said... (3/24/08 9:45 AM) Reply
As everyone has said, the gown is absolutely stunning, and what a wonderful gift. Excellent review, too!
GwenC said... (3/23/08 5:01 PM) Reply
Wow - your responses really mean a lot to me! Thank you so much, everyone! :)
Tee Jones Actie said... (3/23/08 12:03 PM) Reply
Absolutely georgeous. The lace is so beautiful!
Sheila457 said... (3/22/08 9:01 PM) Reply
Totally Stunning!
Modiste Madness said... (3/21/08 12:16 PM) Reply
What an ambitious undertaking, and you rose to the challenge! Your friend will always remember your role in making her wedding an even more special day. The design is unique and well executed.
Stitchcakes said... (3/21/08 11:34 AM) Reply
I would have happily worn this at my wedding, and I am super picky! Of course, who would turn down a custom silk wedding gown! I have done a couple of wedding cakes as gifts and I know people must have been all over you all night just gushing. Makes you feel quite accomplished, no? :-)
jhansby said... (3/21/08 9:32 AM) Reply
Well done, Gwen!! It was so much fun helping you with this and seeing the dress done in a different way (the contrast godet is my favorite part). You did a great job!! Thanks for letting me share in the process.
ChristineBR said... (3/21/08 9:02 AM) Reply
Everything that everyone said is true, of course, but I can tell you one other thing from having made my sister's dress (as an intermediate beginner, many years ago) that having been through the dress process together creates a bond between you that no one else shares. You will both cherish this forever.
ryan's mom said... (3/21/08 6:55 AM) Reply
Your dress is so beautiful, and the bride looks gorgeous!!! The project brings back fond memories of working on my own wedding dress once upon a time.
Danvillegirl said... (3/21/08 5:30 AM) Reply
Great job. Your friend looks happy and beautiful in the dress. You were a true friend to jump off the deep end and to make this for her. Thanks for sharing the adventure.
rosannec said... (3/21/08 1:26 AM) Reply
What an amazing story and gorgeous gown! I'm a little misty eyed myself after reading your review and your last entries on your blog. It's inspirational...Your fabrics are beautiful, the lines of the gown are beautiful, the bride is beautiful.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/20/08 11:59 PM) Reply
Well, the dress is both elegant and unique; you can be so proud of your accomplishment. I adore the contrast lace and godet which elevates this gown to truly memorable. Isn't it nice to know that you're more skilled than you realized? Lovely, lovely work. -Lily
EnglishDaffodil said... (3/20/08 10:44 PM) Reply
The wonderful story behind this lovely review is inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your success with us, and what a generous friend you are.
mastdenman said... (3/20/08 10:32 PM) Reply
It's a beautiful dress and the bride looks wonderful.
EveS said... (3/20/08 9:52 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful, and the ultimate in wedding gifts!
Peggy L said... (3/20/08 9:50 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Susan looks beautiful.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (3/20/08 8:06 PM) Reply
What an incredibly generous gift, the dress looks wonderful you should be extremely proud of yourself.
KathleenS said... (3/20/08 7:55 PM) Reply
I've just read your blog. Congratulations on your achievement. You did an amazing job and your friend looks lovely in it. I hope you know how much real silk wedding dresses cost in stores! - your average bridal store stocks polyester dresses. This dress would cost a fortune.
Lori V said... (3/20/08 7:42 PM) Reply
Stunning dress and our friend looks fabulous.
Nancy K said... (3/20/08 7:23 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress! What a wonderful gift.
Erica B. said... (3/20/08 7:09 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress.
Elemenopeo said... (3/20/08 7:07 PM) Reply
What a wonderful job you did. The dress is stunning.
jent said... (3/20/08 5:51 PM) Reply
Well this is just the loveliest wedding gift anybody could have. What a wonderful and beautiful dress!
cindyann said... (3/20/08 4:16 PM) Reply
Just beautiful! Lovely dress and your friend is glowing in it. {wild applause}
Kaitlinnegan said... (3/20/08 3:55 PM) Reply
Oh, this is wonderful! Susan is so lucky to have a friend like you - the results are truly professional. Fabulous!
nancy2001 said... (3/20/08 3:45 PM) Reply
duplicate post
nancy2001 said... (3/20/08 3:44 PM) Reply
What a beautiful bride. And the dress is absolutely perfect.
mewiththree said... (3/20/08 3:34 PM) Reply
The dress is beautiful, you did a wonderful job! And the wedding photos are beautiful, so sweet and romantic.
annie11 said... (3/20/08 2:41 PM) Reply
Wow! That is stunningly beautiful. I love the contrasting godet and lace. What a perfect fit you achieved. Congratulations to you and the lucky couple!
pakrk said... (3/20/08 2:20 PM) Reply
Absolutely first rate! What a dream dress! I agree, the dress looks like it came out of an expensive bridal shop.
SewLil said... (3/20/08 2:17 PM) Reply
The dress is BEAUTIFUL! It's elegant without being overdone. I just love it. My one regret is not having my mom make wedding dress. It must be so special to have someone you love and loves you to make such a memorable garment.
michellep74 said... (3/20/08 2:13 PM) Reply
You did an absolutely wonderful job with this dress. Your friend looks gorgeous in it! What a wonderful gift to give to a friend!
inkstain said... (3/20/08 12:12 PM) Reply
This is truly one of the most inspiring postings of late. The dress is unique, and I love the use of the lace in the top and godet. What a friendship.What a kiss! It looks like a wonderful gift not to be forgotten.
Puppy said... (3/20/08 12:11 PM) Reply
What a lovely wedding dress! I like the simple lines of the pattern, punctuated with the lace contrast lace stuff. You must have felt 10 feet tall on the wedding day, seeing the fruit of your labors and feeling so good about what you were able to give your friend, as well as enjoying your contribution to such a happy and important day. Yay!
mylittleelephant said... (3/20/08 11:50 AM) Reply
Fabulas job you have done for the dress and your friend, she looks stuning in the dress on her most memorable day! And you have done all works for your friend, not for yourself?! I will need a friend like you.......
yorkshire lass said... (3/20/08 11:42 AM) Reply
Oh Gwen, that dress is so beautiful and the bride, Susan, looks so pretty in it. I've got tears in my eyes. You must be so proud of yourself, you have done a wonderful job. It looks like it came from the MOST expensive couture bridal boutique. What a wonderful and generous bridal gift.

by: carrie1858...