Pattern Reviews> McCall's> M5433 (The Perfect Shirt)

Reviewed by:Rustybobn

About Rustybobnstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/5/02
Posted on:3/16/08 8:25 PM
Last Updated:3/16/08 8:33 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
Riv said... (1/11/10 9:28 PM) Reply
Thanks for great detail on changes...I can't wait to have a great fitting shirt and make many of them. Thanks again
OP Gal said... (9/10/09 5:38 PM) Reply
Great review. Very helpful, too. I'll be making it and your comments will be so helpful. Thanks.
Joanne624 said... (6/3/09 4:12 PM) Reply
Great blouses -- very professional looking!
nfield said... (4/9/08 5:01 PM) Reply
Thank you for the link. I wrote to McCalls and they actually wrote back ask if I did 2 rows of ease stitching. Only did 1. oops... Very good suggestion about putting in the sleeve and not being so strict about the notches. I follow the rules too much Ha-ha!!
Rustybobn said... (4/9/08 8:43 AM) Reply
One other thing about sleeves for me: I pay absolutely no attention to the notches other than to match the underarm seams and put the front in front and the back in back. I rotate the sleeve cap until it hangs straight down my arm. It may not be the way the "experts" do it, but it works for me...
Rustybobn said... (4/9/08 8:41 AM) Reply
I'm sorry I didn't mention it, and I really don't recall changing the ease on this sleeve. I watched a Kenneth King segment once where he said to always measure the sleeve cap and if it had more than 1.25" of ease, to remove some. Here's the tip on DIY.com: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_sewing/article/0,,DIY_14144_2276787,00.html
nfield said... (4/9/08 0:28 AM) Reply
The shirt looks great on you! I am working on this pattern and have run into difficulties with the amount of ease in the sleeve caps. way too much. You didn't mention that problem so I am wondering what I did. Did a broad back adjustment and a fba. Does that affect the sleeve? I am just frustrated that I can't seem to get patterns to fit!!! Thanks for any advise.
jlucie said... (4/6/08 11:15 AM) Reply
These shirts fit you perfectly! Its nice to be able to see them in different fabrics & colors. Thanks for the link on the collar tutorial.
Robin Denning said... (3/30/08 2:42 PM) Reply
Beautiful! I loved seeing your different versions. You do beautiful work and dress yourself so well.
bananaoil said... (3/29/08 8:54 PM) Reply
Thanks for the collar tip! There's nothing like a blouse that fits, yours looks great.
LauraLo said... (3/26/08 4:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful shirt and great colours! Thanks for the Nancy Zieman link.
gotpeace91 said... (3/21/08 1:12 PM) Reply
Wow! that rose one looks great on you! you should buy more fabric in that color! Great fit and thorough review!
Karla Kizer said... (3/18/08 11:10 PM) Reply
You're a one-woman shirt factory! Great results - and McCall's thanks you for selling another pattern for them.
Athene said... (3/18/08 11:00 PM) Reply
I love all your shirts and thanks for the tip #4 - collar. I have the pattern and I will be sure to refer to your review when I decide to sew it.
LindsayT said... (3/17/08 3:42 PM) Reply
Adding this to my "favorites" so I can rely on it for reference. Thanks!
Marji said... (3/17/08 2:50 PM) Reply
The last 3 fit you wonderfully. I'm anxious to see your comparison of the two patterns. Lovely blouses (shirts?).
lilyofthevalley said... (3/17/08 1:44 PM) Reply
Excellent review to show how you attained these marvelously well fitted blouses; I especially thank you for the collar tutorial. All of your blouses are lovely. Instantly, this pattern you recommend went on my wishlist. Lovely, Lily
Rustybobn said... (3/17/08 10:00 AM) Reply
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I may enter this one in the contest, but I think I'll wait a week or so. There's another blouse that I may make again before the end of the month.
Irene Q said... (3/17/08 9:34 AM) Reply
Wonderful shirts!!
Debbie Cook said... (3/17/08 7:41 AM) Reply
I've been following along on your blog too. Fun to see the fitting process and how your tweaks have turned this into a fantastic fitting shirt. Great print on the latest one!
Sew4Fun said... (3/17/08 1:24 AM) Reply
Beth, I love the printed silk shirt. Great job on getting the fit right. I've been following your blog. :) I also love the photos of you in your silk blouse.
Annette1 said... (3/17/08 1:06 AM) Reply
Beautifully fitted blouses, and such a helpful review, as well. I'm glad you included the link to Nancy Zieman's tutorial for the collar, as I had forgotten all about that method. Yours really turned out great! You REALLY look pretty in that PINK one. :0)
Heatherrique said... (3/16/08 11:02 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt!
JMarie1962 said... (3/16/08 10:13 PM) Reply
Very nice looking shirts! I agree with sewsewboy also. Those of us who are fortunate enough to have the skills can really benefit right now. These are incredibly good looking shirts and would be great additions to anyone's wardrobe. Nice job! Also - thanks for the tip on the Palmer Pletsch sizings. I did not know that and have a jacket pattern I plan on using some stash I have.
cabinbaby said... (3/16/08 9:13 PM) Reply
Very nice shirts! Are you entering them in the Fitted Blouse Contest that is going on right now?
BJ1400 said... (3/16/08 8:51 PM) Reply
Great fit, love your shirts. And a very through review too. Thanks for the link for the collar.
Leora said... (3/16/08 8:41 PM) Reply
Looks like you achieved a fantastic fit. I like that you made changes to suit your taste. Nice shirts!
CarolynGM said... (3/16/08 8:38 PM) Reply
What an impressive fit you've achieved with this shirt! It's the Perfect Shirt alright. I bought the M5630 last weekend and look forward to trying the collar change on it.
sewsewboy said... (3/16/08 8:37 PM) Reply
Great looking shirts. You did superb work. With the economy turning why pay $35 (GAP and MACY'S) to $70 dollars or more (Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's) for a nice looking shirt. I'm glad that more and more people are realizing that with a little work and effort, you can make your own impeccably fitting garments.

by: Nenewhis