Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5590 (High Waisted Pencil Skirt)

Reviewed by:born2bead

About born2beadstarstar
ID United States
Member since: 8/1/06
Posted on:3/18/08 11:08 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
AuntieShel said... (3/23/08 10:39 AM) Reply
born2bead, thank you so much for your response, I may have to try this jacket and keep my fingers crossed that it will look like yours.
born2bead said... (3/20/08 2:35 PM) Reply
AuntieShel - you're right. I went back and looked @ the pattern vs my jacket and theirs does not look as open. I did not alter and usually a 12 fits me pretty well. lilyofthevalley - I think any body shape can pull off a pencil skirt. I think the length is the key. I wouldn't go as long unless you are thin and/or tall. Yes, I'm so glad belts especially wide belts are still in style. I love them.
Annette1 said... (3/19/08 6:33 PM) Reply
Oh, I agree, that belt just really puts it over the top. You look SO nice in this skirt. I know we're not supposed to be envious, but I'M IS. :o)
AuntieShel said... (3/19/08 11:40 AM) Reply
Hi born2bead, sorry for 2 comments, but I just advance searched all your beautiful clothes and wonder if you could answer a question about the unbelievable white pique jacket (McCalls 5329) you reviewed in February. I fell in love with your jacket, but when I saw the pattern cover, I don't think I would have looked twice at it. The neckline of your gorgeous jacket is so attractive, almost a portrait neckline, which I LOVE, but the pattern photo looks more of a "Vee." Yet you stated you didn't alter the pattern. I would sew this in a heartbeat if I knew it would come out like yours. Any thoughts about that? Thank you.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/19/08 11:34 AM) Reply
Now this is a completely different shape for you within your Wardrobe, and you wear it beautifully. I have a real yen for a fitted pencil skirt but the mental vision of how I'd look it in is ... well, definitely nothing in common with your photo. Killer Wardrobe you have cooking here. -Lily
AuntieShel said... (3/19/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Please let me join in with the others in complimenting your beautiful wardrobe. I absolutely love the peasant-look blouse with this skirt-perfect, perfect, perfect and you have inspired me to have my own. Have you reviewed the blouse? I've been away a few days and am trying to catch up on reviews, so I'll keep looking. Thank you, also, to BeeBeeSew for recommending the belt carriers and belt--my first inclination would have been to leave them off, at the same time wondering if the skirt would want to travel around. Thanks for answering my question.
ColorMeHome said... (3/19/08 0:28 AM) Reply
I love everything you have made! You are a fantastic sewer!!!
Lori V said... (3/18/08 10:41 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt, a great red color.
Athene said... (3/18/08 10:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful skirt. I checked your blog and think all the pieces are lovely and suit you so well. You are going to have an a great wardrobe.
MelissaB in WA said... (3/18/08 9:38 PM) Reply
Awesome skirt and gorgeous wardrobe you're creating! I am so far behind in reviews, but I looked at the pictures in your photogallery and everything is perfect! You're going to have a fabulous wardrobe!
Gelbean said... (3/18/08 7:19 PM) Reply
I love everything you have made. I am totally inspired. This skirt is beautiful.
Dmd4106 said... (3/18/08 5:45 PM) Reply
Great job! Fits very well with yr Spring Wardrobe! I'll have to add this skirt to my list.
BeeBeeSew said... (3/18/08 4:24 PM) Reply
Very Nice! I've made this pattern as well (yeah, I know, post a review) and really liked it. It was easy to put together (though my fabric choice was difficult), I even matched a plaid for it. I agree with your decision to add the carriers. I actually wore mine without them the first time and went back and put them on. Without the carriers, the skirt tends to slip around some and you loose the waist definition.
Ronda Rae said... (3/18/08 4:15 PM) Reply
Wow! Your plan is certainly coming together very nicely! Love the color theme and your overall style. Everything looks wonderful. Ronda
cabinbaby said... (3/18/08 3:47 PM) Reply
That looks great! Thank you for the review!
>Sarah< said... (3/18/08 1:38 PM) Reply
Love it! Beatiful wardrobe, too!
coolobreeze said... (3/18/08 11:23 AM) Reply
Great skirt!. Your wardrobe is coming along beautifully!

Contest Travel Wardrobe Contest