Pattern Reviews> Other> New York Pattern 546

Posted on:11/21/05 7:10 AM
Last Updated:5/25/03 2:28 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Ann C said... (5/27/03 7:57 PM) Reply
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Margaret said... (5/26/03 11:57 PM) Reply
I would recommend Patterns from the Past, www.oldpatterns.com; it is easy to order from them, the service is very good, and the prices are pretty good too. There is also www.thebluegardenia.com; their patterns are more expensive, but maybe more interesting (as in more designer patterns, more older patterns, etc.) and their service is good too (you can't order completely online though).
Ann C said... (5/26/03 12:56 PM) Reply
Thank you for your informative review. I have always wondered what it would be like to sew a vintage pattern. Would someone mind telling me about sources for these patterns? Thanks in advance.
Margaret said... (5/26/03 1:26 AM) Reply
Wow, thanks so much, everyone! Lisa, yes, the pattern paper was fragile, especially along its fold lines. It was definitely necessary to copy it onto other material -- and I would have felt very bad using the pattern directly even if it would have worked (and I usually don't bother to trace off modern patterns at all). I forgot to mention it in the review, but this pattern is not printed; instead all the pieces are cut to shape and the paper has perforations for the markings -- usual, I think, until the 1940s. This actually made it easier to trace because I could just (carefully) transfer markings through the holes. Georgene, good luck; I think you must have far more fitting expertise than I do, so hopefully it won't be too difficult whenever you want to make those patterns.
Jennie Pakula said... (5/25/03 8:43 PM) Reply
Congratulations on a brilliant job - what an unusual, lovely dress. It looks like it would be a very flattering fit too - I love those long, lean 30's dresses. I admire your intelligent use of resources to fill in the details - you are a truly accomplished dressmaker!
Julia Graham said... (5/25/03 4:55 PM) Reply
Margaret, I too own several vintage patterns with that sort of instructions -- in a couple cases, no instructions at all -- and pictures that I like enough to make it worth the effort... eventually. Congrats on finishing this! Sounds laborious but looks distinctive and pretty.
Barbara H said... (5/25/03 1:17 PM) Reply
Margaret - beautiful! This looks like it was a labor of love given the details involved. The wide belt looks great as do the details at the shoulder!
Lisa Laree said... (5/25/03 9:39 AM) Reply
Margaret, this is a gorgeous dress! Congratulations on figuring it all out! I haven't sewn with any true vintage patterns; was the pattern paper itself very fragile and hard to handle?
Georgene said... (5/25/03 3:21 AM) Reply
Thanks for the thorough review. I have several of these patterns and have not had the courage to attempt them as the alteration would be much more significant for me.

Other My Childhood Treasures