Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 7212 (The Fashion Historian)

Reviewed by:HistoryStudent

About HistoryStudentstar
Member since: 10/11/07
Posted on:3/24/08 9:43 PM
Last Updated:3/24/08 9:43 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

Cowcat said... (7/18/13 3:17 PM) Reply
The bustpads mystify me. I hate to make them out of polyester, suppose the C.W. women used cotton or wool stuffed pads. I'd love to avoid the whole problem, but LunaCat says Simplicity patterns require them to fit.
Cowcat said... (7/18/13 3:14 PM) Reply
What other sources would you recommend for Civil War patterns?
FreckleHead said... (6/16/09 5:16 PM) Reply
I want to make this pattern for Dickens as well, but I don't want the skirt to be as full as the pattern suggests. You said you made your own skirt; could I just use my favorite skirt pattern and stitch it to the bodice?
LunaCat said... (5/20/08 10:08 AM) Reply
You MUST use bust pads with any of Simplicity's patterns in order to get the proper look above the corset! Without them, the dress doesn't look right, even when made to the appropriate size! Look at the 'ease' that's given on the tissue! a size 12 has osmething like a 40" bust! HELLO, do you kow anyone who wears a 40" bust and is a size 12 (except maybe Dolly). This pattern makes up into a wonderful dress, and can be 'dressed up' or down depending on the fabrics used. I've made this one at least 8 times now, and each time it comes out slightly different. Course that may be due to modifications made to fit the wearer! hehe! I find that if you decrease the yardage in the skirt, this makes a great 'camp dress' as well. You can get by with a slightly smaller hoop for in camp!
HistoryStudent said... (4/2/08 3:06 PM) Reply
Hi Rozzybabe, The corsets that I wear under my costumes are from I've heard great things about various corset patterns at
rozzybabe said... (3/26/08 8:31 PM) Reply
You're obviously very intersted in historical costumes, particularily Victorian styles. Would you be able to e-mail me as to the style/type of corset you've made to wear under these snug bodices, as I'm also interested in giving this a go. Rozzybabe
wvsher said... (3/25/08 4:53 PM) Reply
Sounds like you did a great job on it. I'm impressed you can already sew such a detailed garment after only a few months sewing! Glad you had a good time wearing it, too.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/25/08 1:03 AM) Reply
HistoryStudent, your thumbnail photo does not enlarge and I'm unable to see your beautiful costume. If you're able to fix the photo link, I'd love to view it in detail. -Lily

by: Jstarr4250

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)