Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2008-108 (w_i_r_e_d Blouse)

Reviewed by:SewFar

About SewFarstar
Canada
Member since: 4/19/06
Posted on:4/1/08 10:57 PM
Last Updated:4/1/08 10:59 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

jlucie said... (4/6/08 10:39 AM) Reply
The collar is fabulous and I love the way the sleeves and pockets reflect each other's puffy design. Thanks for the tip on using wire!
SewFar said... (4/3/08 9:04 AM) Reply
~Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful comments.~ As a developing sewist it's really encouraging to get positive feedback!
Puddin Pop - I stitched two lengths of 3/8" ribbon together -> a seam on each side. VtMartha - Plain old waxed paper used to trace this pattern (see Adjusted Pattern pic): see through, very inexpensive, easy to mark (no bleed-through), fold out, pin/staple/tape for adjustments. I also like soil separator fabric/cloth, used here for the fitting muslin.
nancy2001 said... (4/2/08 6:50 PM) Reply
Great looking blouse.
ChristineX said... (4/2/08 3:54 PM) Reply
Wow, that is gorgeous! The use of color is wonderful =)
VtMartha said... (4/2/08 12:27 PM) Reply
Gorgeous blouse and very interesting review! Can you tell me what you use to trace patterns and how it works for you? I've seen clear plastic suggested before but I'm not sure what weight.
patrica said... (4/2/08 11:36 AM) Reply
Lovely blouse , great review. I always wondered did Burda ever publish a book about thier construction methods. Got to get that book Thanks
Puddin Pop said... (4/2/08 10:07 AM) Reply
Did you sew the ribbon together to make a tube or did you fold it over lengthwise and make a tube? I have some of this ribbon and you have really outdone yourself using this. Awesome.
Modiste Madness said... (4/2/08 9:00 AM) Reply
Thanks for your detailed review. Those are always so helpful. Great job.
Athene said... (4/2/08 2:19 AM) Reply
Wonderful blouse - I especially love the collar.
ColorMeHome said... (4/2/08 0:36 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I think this would also make a cute jacket, especially with the collar. I love it!
Mary Stiefer said... (4/1/08 11:14 PM) Reply
Wow - unusual treatment for the collar but it looks great. I also like the treatment on the collar and pocket using a multi-colored fabric. Nice job.
kathleen1304 said... (4/1/08 11:08 PM) Reply
I also like your use of the word "sproing." I'm sure we all know exactly what you mean.
EveS said... (4/1/08 8:24 PM) Reply
Very pretty shirt! Your fabric was aged to perfection! :) Congrats on your first BWOF, and a fitted blouse, no less!
CatMukai said... (4/1/08 12:51 PM) Reply
Ooh, I like your version! If I had known you were planning this I would've held off on my review ;)
LindsayT said... (4/1/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Nice! Looking forward to seeing more photos of it.
SewFar said... (4/1/08 8:15 AM) Reply
Doubly chagrined.
SewFar said... (4/1/08 8:08 AM) Reply
Ohhhh -- I'm blushing with chagrin. I think I've commited the sewing equivalent of getting dressed in the dark. How did I manage to get crushproof fabric to look so dishevelled in the photos? Truly, the blouse looks a lot better in person! Will re-take pics.
Lori V said... (4/1/08 7:18 AM) Reply
Gorgeous blouse and wonderful color.
anetJay said... (4/1/08 6:13 AM) Reply
ooh LOVE IT !!! gorgeous colors !!!
yorkshire lass said... (4/1/08 3:21 AM) Reply
Stunning. Love the collar and the gorgeous trim just makes the style for me. Love the colour as well.
Em's Summer said... (3/31/08 11:57 PM) Reply
Great blouse!!! I love the wired collar!!!
lilyofthevalley said... (3/31/08 11:32 PM) Reply
Just a gorgeous blouse, SewFar. Wonderful color, and each change you made has enhanced the style. Exactly the right touch with your trim and buttons. Needless to say, your wired collar is positively inspired. Lovely, Lily
cabinbaby said... (3/31/08 11:19 PM) Reply
Wow! Thanks for the review!! I want to make this pattern too! There are so many that I want to make in BWOF!! I love your version too.
JMarie1962 said... (3/31/08 11:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse and I love the color (eye-catching). I had to chuckle when I read that it's been in your stash since 1987. That sounds like something I'd do! :) Great review and I'm glad you shared the tip about the BWOF book on techniques. I stay away from their patterns, as I've never had great luck. Congratulations on making your deadline :)

Lekala Patterns 4093