Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2008-113 (Flouncy Wrap Tops)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

About cabinbabystarstarstarstar
AK USA
Member since: 4/8/07
Posted on:3/30/08 4:04 PM
Last Updated:4/5/08 6:51 PM

lilyofthevalley said... (4/7/08 8:01 PM) Reply
Dawn, I too am pleased that you reconsidered because this top looks like it was designed with you in mind. And this fabric is absolutely charming. You look beautiful. -Lily
Sherril Miller said... (4/6/08 10:31 AM) Reply
I'm so glad the Burda WOF is back in your favor. So many of their patterns would look great on you. I really like this top on you so much that now I'm wondering if I should attempt to grade it up for me. It was the only pattern in this issue I wanted to make.
Bonnie O said... (4/6/08 10:11 AM) Reply
Both versions of the top look cute on you.
ryan's mom said... (4/6/08 7:27 AM) Reply
This is definitely so pretty on you! The fit, the print--make it again.
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/6/08 1:25 AM) Reply
Your tops are cute. Love the fabric and style combination
Lori V said... (4/5/08 10:25 PM) Reply
Wonderful top. I just bought this issue and this top is on my list (very long list). Thanks for all the information
Peggy L said... (4/5/08 10:09 PM) Reply
Cute! Great style for teeny little you!
nellc said... (4/5/08 8:39 PM) Reply
So glad you made this one again, it's lovely.
EveS said... (4/5/08 8:25 PM) Reply
Oh, I like this one even better than the first...encouraging since I just traced this one last night! :) It's very flattering on you and I love the fabric.
mary in FL said... (4/5/08 7:24 PM) Reply
Ooh, la, la! Very nice!
Meggie LuLu said... (4/4/08 7:52 PM) Reply
That is SOOOO PRETTY!!!! I love your fabric choice!!! I want to make this REALLY bad!!!!
Linda G said... (3/31/08 5:59 PM) Reply
Very cute top. Thanks for the informative review.
jhansby said... (3/31/08 3:39 PM) Reply
I saw this pattern and so glad to read a review...want to try it myself. Thanks for the heads-up on what to look-out for. It's a cute top!
LindsayT said... (3/31/08 12:03 PM) Reply
Wow, look at you. Miss BWOF! I'm liking it...
MissCelie said... (3/31/08 7:11 AM) Reply
I too say Make It Again. Also, I usually measure a 12 in the Big 4 and cut a 38 top in BWOF and 38/40 in the pants. It looks terrific!
anetJay said... (3/31/08 6:01 AM) Reply
great review !! this is on my to sew list. with your cute shape, you would make anything look adorable !! ps, i enjoyed your website, and your little ones are so cute . you really must have your hands full !!!ps did i say that i really love that top :)
Maychi said... (3/31/08 0:43 AM) Reply
I also think you should make it again. WOF does have some challenging instructions; but the results are usually worth the trouble. This top is very flattering on you.
Debbie Cook said... (3/31/08 0:14 AM) Reply
Adding my vote to the Make It Again delegates. ;-) It's very flattering on you. WOF has given me big headaches at times, but it's also made me figure things out on my own. The process takes longer, but I usually learn a thing or two. I think you did too with this top, so that's one aspect that is NOT a wadder. :-)
akazukinchan said... (3/31/08 0:13 AM) Reply
Oh this is super cute. Great fabric choice. Maybe you just need to spend a few weeks away from it. Wait for your frustration w/ BWOF to dissipate.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/30/08 11:40 PM) Reply
Dawn, as everyone else notes, I beg to differ with you; this top is highly flattering on you, as is the fabric choice. The instructions sound awful, yet you produced a beautiful top. Please wear it. -Lily
cabinbaby said... (3/30/08 11:16 PM) Reply
mary in FL - This IS a wadder. My serger was skipping stitches because I probably need to change the needle and I got sloppy at the end and did not finish as nicely as I should have. I will make it again though because of all the flattering comments. Thank you all! You changed my mind on this one!
Lori V said... (3/30/08 10:49 PM) Reply
This is so cute on you.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (3/30/08 10:47 PM) Reply
Despite all the problems you had making this pattern it looks fantastic!
mary in FL said... (3/30/08 9:30 PM) Reply
Repeat after me: "This is Not a wadder."
MelissaB in WA said... (3/30/08 9:27 PM) Reply
The top looks super cute on you! I think you should wear it often and pus a cami under it if you think it's too revealing. Very cute!
Heatherrique said... (3/30/08 9:24 PM) Reply
Such a pretty top on your cute figure!
cindy-lou said... (3/30/08 9:06 PM) Reply
Oh, this top is SO on my to-make list! And I, for one, love yours. Thanks for reviewing it. It seems like I remember a line in the instructions about leaving a hole for the tie co come through o nthe *left*. I thought, 'huh? Shouldn't this be on the right?' And there it is in your review. Great top, and great deciphering of the instructions! :)
Vivienne said... (3/30/08 8:45 PM) Reply
You've just experienced the classic Burda WTF that comes free with every Burda WOF magazine. The top is very flattering on you and summer is coming!
Leslie in NZ said... (3/30/08 7:34 PM) Reply
I like your top. You could wear it over a cami or put in an insert to cover the parts you don't like. I also have a lot of trouble understanding BWOF instructions. BUT...I feel that struggling to understand and doing things on my own when I don't understand are making me a better sew..(ist?). I am pretty much exclusively using BWOF and I am determined to make it work. Hope your experience with this top has not put you off.
avancleve said... (3/30/08 7:26 PM) Reply
The top is cute, I want to give it a try. I am in the same boat as you when it comes to Burda sizing....don't know whether to do a 36 or a 38. I guess it just depends on the pattern. In the big 4 world I also measure a 12, and everything is just gaping on me. Nice to know I will need to choose the larger size with this one.
JMarie1962 said... (3/30/08 7:07 PM) Reply
This is a super cute top. I love the print and the entire combo is really flattering on you. I've only tried Burda a few times... after reading several Burda reviews, I didn't feel so bad that I couldn't make sens of their instructions! Your 'hobbling through' paid off :)
nellc said... (3/30/08 6:48 PM) Reply
I think this top is very flattering and the colours really suit you. Thanks for the review this one is on my to do list.
Athene said... (3/30/08 6:41 PM) Reply
This is a cute top. Too bad the BWOF instructions are not that great.
michellep74 said... (3/30/08 6:30 PM) Reply
Very cute top. This is on my "to sew" list, and I'll definitely be referring back to your review for your tips when I do make this.
So So said... (3/30/08 5:44 PM) Reply
Your blouse/top looks fantastic. Fits you perfectly.
mahalosu said... (3/30/08 4:42 PM) Reply
I made this top in a trial fabric. I ran into a lot of the same issues you had. But I never put a slit into the sleeves. My sleeves are one piece. I must have missed something. I finished the entire top before realizing it needs a slit in the side for the ties to go thru. I do like the top on you though. Looks really cute.
Em's Summer said... (3/30/08 4:06 PM) Reply
Cute! Cute! Cute! Can you tell I think that top is cute? :-)

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB300