Online Sewing Class: More Knits

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

JTink said... (5/22/08 11:27 AM) Reply
You ended up with a nice look. Yep the fabric is what caused your problems. I just finished this in a cotton. Because I wanted it longer and loose in the hips, I had to allow. I also had to make adjustments in the armhole and neck line(neck to big, arm too tight). I have to make a lot of adjustments to most of my patterns, so none of this was unusual for me. It turned out to be a good pattern to work with. One other thing, I didn't add the tie back strings(at age 53, I feel they are a bit young). I just made some small darts in the back of the pattern to take in the fullness.
Stacy Sews said... (4/11/08 9:15 PM) Reply
Great looking top - I love the printed fabric with this look.
Modiste Madness said... (4/2/08 8:44 AM) Reply
Like your top. It fits well and the fabric makes it unique.
EveS said... (4/1/08 4:29 PM) Reply
I love your top...a great summery look! Great save!
wvsher said... (4/1/08 4:23 PM) Reply
Yes, patterns for wovens are sized differently than patterns for knits, so the issue may not be the pattern, though I see the pattern did not work for a couple of other reviewers as well. I can see why you used a knit, as the style seems to cry out for one. In any case, you ended up with a smashing looking top despite the difficulties! Thanks for the review.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/1/08 3:19 PM) Reply
Adding the elastic to the front and gathering it a bit greatly improved the fit of the front and took nothing away from the style. With your adjustments, this top looks very cute on you. -Lily
JMarie1962 said... (4/1/08 2:28 PM) Reply
You ended up with a very cute top! I've had this pattern in my cupboard for ages, but have never made it. Good to know there's added ease for wovens (or in your case, too much for 2-way stretch). Thanks for your review on this top.
cabinbaby said... (4/1/08 1:18 PM) Reply
It looks like this pattern is for a woven. It sounds like you used a knit. When I use a knit for a woven pattern, I usually size down several sizes because the knit is so much stretchier. You may want to try it again with the smallest size in the envelope.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns