Pattern Reviews> Favorite Things> V028 (Prairie Girl)

Reviewed by:Sew Mother Like Daughter

About Sew Mother Like Daughter
WI USA
Member since: 4/1/08
Posted on:4/2/08 3:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Prudentilla said... (4/4/08 9:45 AM) Reply
I made this last year - I was so excited about the pattern based on the photos on the package, but I had exactly the same issues as you! It seemed to just fit.....funky. I won't make it again, as I think the same look could be had by altering a pattern that I know will fit better.
Winifred said... (4/3/08 6:12 PM) Reply
Hi, I know what I would do in this case - it may not appeal to you of course. I would cut down from the base of the neck (centre front ) to the hem therefore turning it into a little jacket. Face it all -straighten the side seams ( if wished ) You could leave the sleeves or take them out to make a vest - bind arnholes etc ? Striking lttle buttons down the front ? I just love altering things and I can see this ! All the best to you.
AuntieShel said... (4/3/08 9:19 AM) Reply
I've been thinking of possible solutions to your top and wonder if it might be possible to raise it by the shoulder seams. You would not be able to raise it too much or you'd throw the whole thing off, but try putting it on as you would wear it and just pinning a new shoulder seam to see if that helps. If it seems to, you would then have to remove the sleeves, but it might be worth it. Also, I wonder if you could make a casing in the seam allowance of the back bodice/back "skirt" and thread a narrow elastic through it. Again, I wouldn't pull too much of it in, just enough to take a small but consistent amount of fullness out of the back. Not sure if these will work for you, but may be worth a try. Let me know. Good luck.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/3/08 0:40 AM) Reply
Oh, I'm sorry that this pretty little top has proven to be such an expensive disappointment, but I thank you for reviewing it. Regrettably, I have no fix suggestions, either. -Lily
wvsher said... (4/2/08 9:56 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review/warning. It really does look adorable by itself, but that must be little comfort when the fit is all wrong compared to what is advertised on the package. :(
AuntieShel said... (4/2/08 4:49 PM) Reply
Hi, I guess I'm the first to comment on this review, which I was happy to see, as I made this top a few weeks ago, have wanted to review, but just not gotten to it. Anyway, I'm sorry you were disappointed, it is so cute in the photo on the pattern. I agree with the points you made, that it is very large (I made the 14 by mistake, I read the size chart wrong :( !!) and the bodice is quite low. I guess I knew going in that it would be large and that the ties are what pull it in to look like the photo. I also expected the gathers to be somewhat low, though they are not too bad on me--I'm not thin, so maybe my excess avoir dupois (did I get that right?) helps it fit better. I have to say that when I first tried it on, before I tied the ties, all I could think was it screamed "scrubs." The V neck does not want to lay flat on me, it tends to pooch out away from my body. I think I will wear it when the weather gets warm just to see how I feel wearing it. Your top looks adorable in the photo and I'm sorry you're disappointed with it--I know how it feels to be so excited about something in the beginning and then so disappointed in the result, and that you spent a lot of money on the beautiful fabric. Well, that's my experience and I wish I had suggestions, as I'm sure there are things you can revise and that some of the other reviewers who are more talented than I can help you out there.

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book