Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4400 (Misses' Civil War Costume)

Reviewed by:Cressie

About Cressiestar
TN USA
Member since: 10/4/06
Posted on:4/2/08 10:03 PM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes
sweetchilies said... (10/1/12 9:39 AM) Reply
There is a picture of a dress very similar to this one in Peterson's magazine. I believe it is the October 1861 edition. I found it in my copy of "Civil War Ladies: Fashions and Needle-arts of the Early 1860's".
FreckleHead said... (11/5/09 3:17 AM) Reply
The double puff is historically accurate, I have seen it in quite a few CDV's of the time. Try "The Graceful Lady" website under "Originals" for examples of what I mean. Lovely gown, and excellent review. :D
Cressie said... (4/2/09 2:10 AM) Reply
I have been unable to find hook and eye tape at major fabric stores like Joann's and Hobby Lobby, however Hancocks carries it occasionally but they are very slow to re-stock (it seems). Small independent fabric stores like Textile Fabrics in Nashville and Sewing Center in Murray, KY always have it. These stores are my only true bet for the tape, but it is so worth it! I use it everywhere I can.
MCBurbage said... (3/18/09 8:10 PM) Reply
Where did you find hook and eye tape? I've looked several times and never managed to find it.
LunaCat said... (5/20/08 10:01 AM) Reply
In order to get historically accurate, DO NOT make the double poof, just use the pattern piece and do a single poof on the sleeve. It turns out absolutely wonderful, and is period accurate. You CAN sew this sleeve poof to the sleeve WITHOUT hand sewing it. Gather the bottom of the sleeve, pin it right sides together on the sleeve matching the line, sew it, tur up the sleeve and continue with the instructions for placing it in the armseye. Looks wonderful. And the single pouf can be held out by putting a very little amount of tulle inside it before you sew it to the shoulder! Also, you should always use the facing on the bottom of the skirt. This allows you to replace it should the hem of your dress become soiled in such a way that it cannot be cleaned. False hems are a wonderful thing. Bias bind the hem of your dress, and even though it seams like a vast amount of work, you'll be so very happy you did when you walk through that puddle you didn't see because of your hoop!
Luckylibbet said... (4/3/08 11:12 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Since I'm no historical expert, it looks grand to me.
Cressie said... (4/2/08 10:21 PM) Reply
*Duplicate from above*
Cressie said... (4/2/08 10:21 PM) Reply
Thanks wvsher! I was very lucky to find such a good deal on the fabric. However, I did find very small inperfections every 3 yards or so, but it was random. I think it just adds to the "homespun" look. It was a very inexpensive dress. The brass buttons and the hook and eye tape were about $10. The crochet collar ribbon was $2 and the fabric was $14 bucks. I'm very happy with it.
wvsher said... (4/2/08 10:09 PM) Reply
And there it is! Very nice job. I would never have guessed that was inexpensive fabric.
wvsher said... (4/2/08 10:06 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review; your costume dress sounds very nice. I look forward to seeing a photo of it when it is finished. Great tip on the hook & eye tape!

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2012-117