Online Sewing Class: All About Linings

Pattern Reviews> Marfy> 1757 (Ring Collar Blouse)

Reviewed by:yorkshire lass

About yorkshire lassstarstar
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 3/23/06
Posted on:4/7/08 10:17 AM
Last Updated:4/7/08 10:17 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Winifred said... (4/12/08 4:04 PM) Reply
Please dont be discouraged by negative comments made earlier. I,m sure you can do something to redeem this and then you will feel so much better. Lily-of-the-valley had some good suggestions -go for it with determination , perhaps after you,ve made something else that is a success.
slanden99 said... (4/10/08 7:11 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I think I'll need to avoid tops with that collar style too. It would probably look great on someone larger
Em's Summer said... (4/8/08 11:34 PM) Reply
WOW! What an ordeal! But a great review came out of it!
LindsayT said... (4/8/08 9:44 AM) Reply
Oh well...
lilyofthevalley said... (4/8/08 9:25 AM) Reply
Yes, yorkshire lass, as you just said, I might get busy putting a nip, a tuck, a seam sliver here and there to put more of your shape into this top. You've nothing to lose and might end up with a surprisingly flattering (to your shape)blouse. Thanks for sharing your journey. -Lily
yorkshire lass said... (4/8/08 9:04 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for your support. I normally choose very fitted things, so this was a departure for me. Now I am thinking if I gave it more shape I might like it more.... hmmm.
mylittleelephant said... (4/8/08 8:13 AM) Reply
! Now I know that it is not only me who's going through this process of finishing the garment but not quite like it in the end.....though yours looks lovely in the photo to me. I am also thinking and looking for tops and jacket combinations and that makes the sewing list always endless, I am hoping that your next project will cheer you up! Thanks for the review!
fuzzygalore said... (4/8/08 1:37 AM) Reply
No doubt you were meant to put the zipper into the folded collar, it couldn't work any other way. But this isn't a bad pattern - it's an atrocious fabric choice. If you're going to have a loose style, you -must- have drapey fabric. And drapey-ness has nothing to do with surface smoothness. If you were using a silk satin, then yes you'd have a chance, although the swearing might go off the scale at the zipper ;-). But polyester satin doesn't do looseness too gracefully, draping is ankward. And flannel-backed is meant only for linings, because you only get a small flash of color in the wearing, it's totally unsuitable for blouses. That said, I really like the color of yours, and that pattern looks good to me... I'd go for a light silk myself, or a rayon knit (no zipper).
beginagain said... (4/7/08 4:04 PM) Reply
I do remember making a turtleneck style in the late 60s that had a zipper in back. It did go all the way up and folded over with the collar.
Birgitte said... (4/7/08 2:50 PM) Reply
Your review was fun to read, sorry you didn't end up with what you wanted. I think your observations about what suits your frame is right on the mark. Try something really fitted and I think you'll be a knockout!
So So said... (4/7/08 1:02 PM) Reply
Take a gold star for sticking with it ! There is an ideal top for you, just waiting around the corner. You know and we know it.
Re Becca said... (4/7/08 11:45 AM) Reply
Sorry that this didn't work out. Something more fitted would work well, esp. in that great red color. Thanks for sharing your experience.
maryfrana said... (4/7/08 11:28 AM) Reply
Sorry it didn't work out -- it's always frustrating to put in lots of time and have it not quite work. There is a pattern out there for you! Love the red color anyway.

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress