Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4081 (Misses 1940's Retro Jacket)

Reviewed by:Nancy Anne

About Nancy Annestar
Member since: 11/26/04
Posted on:4/7/08 10:41 AM
Last Updated:8/5/08 8:17 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 20 people
Karendee said... (8/7/08 2:43 PM) Reply
No topstitching, please. With such an elegant look, the stitching would go off in a tailored, sport direction--IMHO. Beautiful jacket.
hongkongshopper said... (8/6/08 6:34 PM) Reply
born2bead said... (8/6/08 6:27 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket and it looks like you got a really nice fit too even with some of the issues that you had with the pattern.
chacha45 said... (8/6/08 10:00 AM) Reply
Love the gold buttons, just what it needed to be perfect! Unlike all the others, I would topstitch-I'm kind of a control freak! Sometimes those edges work their way out of place. If that's not happening, and you should know by now, let it go. The jacket is really lovely and looks great on you.
Sheila457 said... (8/6/08 9:49 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket.
nancy2001 said... (8/6/08 8:38 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, fabulous fit.
wreninrome said... (8/5/08 10:35 PM) Reply
wow! that is a beautiful jacket! what's the name of the store in Denton?
tweedcurtain said... (8/5/08 10:20 PM) Reply
I somehow missed this when it was first posted. It is a lovely jacket. I enjoyed your review and was dismayed when I saw the original buttons and your plan to probably just leave them. So I was ecstatic when I read further and saw you had swapped them out for gold buttons. Such a difference. They are buttons worthy of this gorgeous jacket. I have this pattern and have yet to open it, but nice to learn about the different cup sizes included. Thanks for reviewing this pattern. Enjoy wearing your jacket for years to come.
Athene said... (8/5/08 10:16 PM) Reply
I thought the original jacket was great, but I too like it even more with the new gold buttons.
Elona said... (8/5/08 9:03 PM) Reply
What a lovely jacket! All your hard work paid off. The lining pieces were larger because that's the way linings are supposed to be. They are both longer and wider than their outer garment so as to prevent pulling. You should have seen instructions for a center back pleat for ease, as well as what is called a "jump hem" for the extra lining length.
Karen8320 said... (8/5/08 8:52 PM) Reply
Nancy, please be assured that this jacket does indeed look elegant and classy. What a fabulous job you've done on this and it looks wonderful on you. The fabric is beautiful and the buttons set it off perfectly. I'm not a big top-stitching fan and I really don't think this jacket needs it. The fabric design has enough interest that I think top-stitching would just clutter it. I also don't have a problem with the collar. It looks fine. I'm sure you will receive heaps of compliments on this jacket and it will all have been worth the effort. Great work!
sewtime said... (8/5/08 8:26 PM) Reply
Your jacket is really beautiful, you will be wearing it for years to come. The gold buttons touched it off just right.
Sew Shy said... (4/9/08 4:09 PM) Reply
Great review. I previously overlooked this jacket, but your version - especially the fabric - looks amazing!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (4/9/08 2:13 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, much more inspiring thatn the pattern cover. You chose lovely fabric for this - well worth taking your time over. i agree with this fabric there is no need for topstitching as well.
hongkongshopper said... (4/8/08 8:46 PM) Reply
Lovely! I wouldn't topstitch as it looks perfect as it is.
Lori V said... (4/8/08 7:45 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. The fit is great.
Re Becca said... (4/8/08 5:47 PM) Reply
I am sorry that it made you stressed, but it looks fabulous! I think the collar looks great. Hhmm, no complicated collar peak to worry about. It lays flat and looks great. It does look elegant and very classy! The fabric told you what it wanted to be, and it looks quite happy, even if it made you pull your hair out.
Kiwi Girl said... (4/8/08 3:38 PM) Reply
Wow, what a lovely jacket - great style and awesome fabric. I love it. Very sassy!
cabinbaby said... (4/8/08 12:23 PM) Reply
Awww, I think you should keep the pattern! The other view has a different collar and you might like it more. The fit is great on you. I just reviewed this last week or the week before but it was a different view (with the collar).
lilyofthevalley said... (4/8/08 11:54 AM) Reply
Really lovely jacket, beautifully fitted to you. And the fabric is gorgeous, too. Yes, I believe it is everything you hoped it would be, and you look fabulous in it. Lovely, Lily
frogs2 said... (4/8/08 11:38 AM) Reply
Wow! You did a wonderful job on the fit and construction, and the fabric is stunning. The results are definitely elegant and classy, and suits you to a T! Nice job!
gotpeace91 said... (4/8/08 9:37 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! Fabric, jacket, and color on you!
Mary Stiefer said... (4/8/08 0:20 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket - I love the fabric and your review was extremely helpful.
Athene said... (4/7/08 9:23 PM) Reply
Thank you for the very informative review. The jacket is beautiful.
Diane E said... (4/7/08 9:17 PM) Reply
What a lovely jacket. I'm glad you think all the work was worth it, because from an outside point of view, it definitely was. It fits you beautifully.
Schnauzer said... (4/7/08 8:30 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous jacket! I know what you mean about not looking finished, I've often thought the same, but honestly, your fabric is so pretty I don't think you need to top stitch. The fabric and style are a lovely combination.
goldesdottar said... (4/7/08 5:24 PM) Reply
Nicely detailed review, and a great jacket. Since it has a real dressmaker style rather than a blazer look, i would think no topstitching. The collar is really a shawl collar, with a cut-in notch, and together with the fitted body look "lady-like". The suedecloth is a great counterpoint to that. But i think the gold cuttons would be great!
frame said... (4/7/08 1:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Thanks for the great review.
EleanorSews said... (4/7/08 1:27 PM) Reply
Very good looking jacket, helpful review and useful tips!! I hope you enjoy wearing your jacket because it is lovely and fits so nicely.
Luckylibbet said... (4/7/08 12:26 PM) Reply
OK, it looks elegant and classy! Maybe after the frustration has settled you'll like it better? It's been known to happen.
gatorgirl4325 said... (4/7/08 10:57 AM) Reply
Your jacket is lovely! The fit is very good-and the fabric adds just enough "bling". I could go either way with the topstitching.

Other #0001

by: Linda0902

McCall's M6102

by: greenballo...

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern