Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7937 (Pannelled, straight skirt)

Reviewed by:Blooms

About Bloomsstarstarstar
Member since: 5/2/06
Posted on:4/7/08 11:48 PM
Last Updated:4/7/08 11:51 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
Modiste Madness said... (4/11/08 6:04 AM) Reply
I love the design detail and the outfit. It is just cute without looking prissy.
Blooms said... (4/9/08 6:06 PM) Reply
Hello Sewing Susan! The pockets are sort of egg shaped, only I squared the ends a little bit. The bottom width is 16.5 cm, the top width is about 11 cm, the height is about 18 cm...the unfolded pocket has left/right symmetry. The pockets have a front and back, so that the folded down bit also shows the right side of fabric. The inside egg is a single piece. The outside egg has a seam line on the fold line...this was so that I could turn the pocket through a gap in this seam after I had sewn the 2 eggs right sides can't see this seam once the pocket corner is turned down. So, construction order...first I sewed the construction seam on the outer egg, leaving a gap. Then I attached the ric-rac to one of the egg shapes, then I sewed the inside and outside egg shapes right sides together (with the seam width adjusted to sew down the middle of the ric-rac) and turned through the construction seam on the outer egg. I handstitched the gap closed. I then topstitched the pocket above the fold line, folded down a corner, sewed on a button, then sewed the pocket to the skirt below the fold line. Hope this is clear, if not, ask more questions!
SewingSusan said... (4/9/08 7:33 AM) Reply
Can you share any details on the pocket design? Looks like it's an egg shape with the corner folded, or is it an oval?
Heatherrique said... (4/8/08 1:07 PM) Reply
Very innovative and inspiring!
meli88a said... (4/8/08 11:42 AM) Reply
I like your version, and am relieved that I'm not the only one finding it "poochy"! I also was surprised by how much easing one has to do to fit the skirt to the facing, which makes me think that this makes it poochy. The pockets are fantastic. So cute!
lilyofthevalley said... (4/8/08 11:20 AM) Reply
I too am very pleased that you translated the images in your head to fabric, because this skirt - and those pockets - are the absolute limit! Charmingly vintage but still extremely modern. Love it, love it. -Lily
pterion said... (4/8/08 10:54 AM) Reply
Absolutely adorable!
Stitchcakes said... (4/8/08 10:39 AM) Reply
I'm totally gonna have to steal those pockets! They would also be great pockets for an apron.
SewingSusan said... (4/8/08 9:20 AM) Reply
These pockets make me smile too! Love that skirt.
carolynw said... (4/8/08 8:33 AM) Reply
How cute is that! Love your skirt and the pockets make it nicely different
Lori V said... (4/8/08 7:10 AM) Reply
yorkshire lass said... (4/8/08 3:08 AM) Reply
Wonderful pocket details. That really lifts the skirt onto the super fabulous level.
Athene said... (4/8/08 2:16 AM) Reply
Love the pocket detail - gives the skirt that special edge.
Kiwi Girl said... (4/8/08 1:15 AM) Reply
This is so cute. I love what you have done to the pockets. Great colour
ryansmumAria said... (4/8/08 0:14 AM) Reply