Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8355 (Divine Details)

Reviewed by:Mahogany Stylist

About Mahogany Styliststarstarstarstar
IL USA
Member since: 6/26/07
Posted on:4/14/08 1:59 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
Olly173 said... (4/7/14 3:57 PM) Reply
Mahogany Stylist - this is a fabulous-looking suit. You've done a fantastic job. I actually saw it a couple of years ago at a wedding show, made in white like yours was. I've recently come across the pattern again and decided to make it for a wedding I'm attending. I've been going quite well, but I'm now stuck!! I've issues with the bands on the top (step 7). Either it's now clear how it should be neatened on the right side or I've done something wrong. Has anyone else completed this outfit? I'd be pleased for any help I can get. Many thanks.
Louweezy23 said... (4/3/12 10:16 AM) Reply
Just purchased this pattern, as I'm getting back into dressmaking. I'm going to make the jacket, next on my list. You've made a lovely job of it. Hope my turns out as good.
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/2/12 10:00 AM) Reply
Thanks and good luck with the fashion show.
dpepperann said... (4/1/12 4:17 PM) Reply
Absolutly gorgeous ! I will be making this outfit for myself. I am one of the designers in a fashion show .
Mahogany Stylist said... (11/8/11 10:10 AM) Reply
Thanks.
Veronimuse said... (11/6/11 11:30 AM) Reply
Wow, that's stunning! Brilliant!
chucklehead said... (8/8/11 3:46 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Just bought this pattern but can never hope to look as stunning as your friend! You did an awesome job.
Mahogany Stylist said... (8/4/09 5:53 PM) Reply
Hi Salsera7 - I charged PB $200.00 (she purchased the fabric, pattern and notions). She is a regular customer and friend. There is a fair amount of effort involved in making this outfit. So you may want to take that into consideration. After I counted up the hours spent (shopping, fittings, cutting and sewing), I made under $10.00 per hour.
Sweetiebop said... (8/1/09 3:45 PM) Reply
How did I miss this review. Your friend looks fabulous in this dress.
salsera7 said... (8/1/09 3:38 PM) Reply
You did a fabulous job. I'm about to make the same outfit for someone. Any suggestions on what to charge given the detail? Thanks.
Cheryl in Chicago said... (1/31/09 9:18 PM) Reply
I am having trouble fitting the pattern against Vogue's sloper and my personal sloper. I thought the patterns seemed to run small, so I think I will make a muslin. Great job on the finished garment.
tenaya said... (8/27/08 5:29 PM) Reply
Fascinating account of getting this pattern to work! And Ms. PB looks FABULOUS!
jjc said... (5/25/08 9:15 AM) Reply
beautiful job
Annette1 said... (4/23/08 8:28 PM) Reply
I had to track down this review, because I had seen it in the thumbnail view back when it was first published (knew instantly what pattern it was), but I didn't get a chance to comment, so today I thought, I've got to find Mahogany Stylist's Divine Details outfit! I'm glad I did, as I've very much enjoyed reading your review and your blog. Ms. PB is one fabulous-looking lady in her lovely suit that you've designed for her. Your workmanship is impeccable, too. I wouldn't rate this as being at the "average" skill level either, for all the reasons you've mentioned. (Sometimes I wonder how they come up with these ratings.) Finally, I might add I'm glad to hear the jacket runs big, OKAY? :o)) Beautiful outfit!
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/18/08 9:49 AM) Reply
Thanks again everyone. It's great sharing the sewing experience.
minggiddylooloo said... (4/17/08 7:57 PM) Reply
WOW!!! I was thinking about making this suit for a friend's wedding in September, and it looks absolutely fabulous!!! I've gotta definitely pick this one up when Vogue goes on sale in May at Hancock! Thanks for sharing!!!!
rosannec said... (4/15/08 10:23 PM) Reply
That suit is fierce!
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/15/08 6:26 PM) Reply
Well, you did just a fantastic job! I'm sure Ms. PB was the belle of the ball. :)
Mahler said... (4/15/08 6:23 PM) Reply
Elegant, stylich, sexy, superbe on you !
cmarie12 said... (4/15/08 3:27 PM) Reply
All of the superlatives that first slipped from my mouth are taken...so I will just have to repeat them...WOW! Amazing! Stunning! Beautiful! You did a great job of interpreting this pattern!
lilyofthevalley said... (4/15/08 1:26 PM) Reply
Cennetta, this is one smashing suit you've created for the stunning Ms. PB. It is PERFECT in every way, and from every angle. My oh my, I'll bet Ms. PB and your killer suit turned some heads on that occasion!!!!! Wow seems understated. Please thank Ms. PB for modeling this dream ensemble. -Lily
jewelsfashions said... (4/15/08 1:17 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job on this suit. I am working on this exact suit right now (in the muslin stage). So, I was glad to come across you review. Mine is a pique fabric hoping it doesn't look to fancy(or glam as you say) so I can wear it to Sunday church. I hope mine turns out as fantastic as yours. Alot of helpful info and I will be checking back as I sew mine along. Thanks!!
jhansby said... (4/15/08 11:40 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Dei said... (4/15/08 10:24 AM) Reply
It's wonderful to see a pattern come to life. You translated Vogue's idea into a stunning outfit. Such craftsmanship!
DivaQ said... (4/15/08 10:10 AM) Reply
This is beautiful!
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/15/08 9:40 AM) Reply
Everyone you are so generous in your compliments. I really appreciate them and value the support here at PR. Thank you. I was pleased that the suit turned so well. Ms. PB is aware of the effort involved in sewing a garment. At the same time she likes to wear unique styles.
ITAdmin said... (4/15/08 7:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I love the style of this suit, and you did a marvelous job.
Danvillegirl said... (4/15/08 5:17 AM) Reply
Fabulous suit!
nzkiwi said... (4/15/08 4:45 AM) Reply
Wonderful effort. This has certainly made me want to give it a go.
rosannec said... (4/15/08 3:07 AM) Reply
That suit is fierce!
CynthiaSue said... (4/15/08 0:44 AM) Reply
wow, really professional and chic. the white is so sharp!
Membear said... (4/14/08 9:21 PM) Reply
Well done . I hope your friend has a really good insight into how much work is involved with made to measure!!!!!
frame said... (4/14/08 8:47 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (4/14/08 8:19 PM) Reply
It's so great to see a review of this pattern, you did a fantastic job, it looks just like the pattern envelope. Extremely elegant no wonder your friend was delighted with it.
Karen6790 said... (4/14/08 8:15 PM) Reply
I can see why this is someone you would sew for - she picked a great pattern and she let you work your magic because she knew she'd look fabulous in it. Absolutely gorgeous.
Morisot said... (4/14/08 7:52 PM) Reply
Superb!
hongkongshopper said... (4/14/08 7:50 PM) Reply
Wow, excellent job, looks fantastic!
marycds said... (4/14/08 5:54 PM) Reply
Wow! How elegant. Great job.
Athene said... (4/14/08 5:45 PM) Reply
Gorgeous suit. Ms PB is very lucky to have you as a friend.
Lori V said... (4/14/08 4:41 PM) Reply
Wow, it is a stunning suit. Amazing work.
Ann Smith said... (4/14/08 4:25 PM) Reply
How gorgeous! I bought this pattern when it first appeared hoping to someday have the occasion to make it. Your review and post about the fitting muslin are so helpful.
umjudis said... (4/14/08 3:49 PM) Reply
Tres chic!!!! This absolutely stunning!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (4/14/08 3:33 PM) Reply
This is really a beautiful suit!
Sigrid. said... (4/14/08 3:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful! How wonderful to sew something like this for a friend. Great result.
sideseams said... (4/14/08 3:12 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh, what a beautiful suit !
kim*brown said... (4/14/08 2:58 PM) Reply
Work It!!!!
Trenessa said... (4/14/08 2:34 PM) Reply
This is smoking HOT!!
SueV said... (4/14/08 2:32 PM) Reply
BEAUTIFUL, you did a fantastic job! thanks for sharing! Your friend is one lucky lady to have that suit!
nancy2001 said... (4/14/08 2:13 PM) Reply
Gorgeous suit. It looks simply amazing on your friend.
Ellenatlga said... (4/14/08 2:02 PM) Reply
WOW!! That is absolutely beautiful!!

Other Bonnie Blue: Ayla Rose