Pattern Reviews> Petite Plus Patterns> 101 (Short Sleeve Shell)

Reviewed by:Nancy in BC

About Nancy in BC
Member since: 9/1/02

Posted on:6/4/03 1:14 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Plus
Mini said... (9/17/03 3:48 PM) Reply
Nancy, I bought this pattern and am getting ready to try it out. I plan to use the upper back adjustment shown in the pattern's fitting guide. Lately I have noticed my pullover tops need to be adjusted for a slightly rounded upper back. Otherwise, they pull up in front and have a neckline that doesn't stay in place even when I have perfected the bust fit. Most plus-size women (and many thin ones too) need this adjustment but don't know it because it so hard to see how our backs really look. Sew Grand drafts patterns with this adjustment built in, but most companies do not. I e-mailed Kathleen to find out if Petites Plus drafts for a rounded back. She says they don't, but suggested making a muslin with the back adjustment to test the fit.
Sarah said... (7/4/03 6:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review Nancy. I made this up, but its a UFO at the moment because it just seems to have too much room in the front - but I think this is a problem with my alterations. I have also made the button front top 103, I found that it didn't ride up in front. I am a DD cup, and I followed the instructions in the Perfect Fit Guide to enlarge the top - they worked well. Overall, I think this is a great pattern range, she has really put a lot of work into each one.
AnneM said... (6/7/03 11:17 PM) Reply
That came out great; thanks for the review. I am thinking about making this for my mother, although she is smaller busted than the pattern line design. Their skirt pattern was also good.
Nancy in BC said... (6/6/03 9:34 PM) Reply
Hi Sherril, I wear a D cup bra. The top does tend to ride up in front. I think that is because of the way I put on the bias for the neckline. I am not real pleased with the neckline, but it's the way I sewed it, or maybe the fabric I used, not the pattern that has the problem. It pulls up on the hanger too. This pattern includes The Perfect Fit Guide, which explains how to adjust for a fuller or flatter bust. The button-down top, #103, probably has this too. Hope this helps.
Georgene said... (6/5/03 1:58 PM) Reply
Nancy, this looks great. I think the Petite Plus pattern line is wonderful.
http mom said... (6/5/03 4:48 AM) Reply
nancy, this looks really good on you. I really love petit plus patterns. You get a lot for your money with them.
Sherril Miller said... (6/5/03 2:08 AM) Reply
I'm a petite plus woman, but I'm not a D cup. I made her button down top and it fit really large in the bust on me--I'm a small sized C. Your top fits great. Does the hem rise in the front or is it the way you are standing? On Big4 patterns I have to do a full bust adjustment or the patterns pull up in front to go over my bust. Your review makes me want to try out this pattern line again. What, may I ask, is your cup size? (sorry for getting so personal, but it would help me decide if this pattern would work for me.) - Sherril
Nancy in BC said... (6/5/03 1:57 AM) Reply
Mary, the recommended fabric for the top is a soft, lightweight drapey fabric, woven or knit with 25% or less stretch in cotton, rayon, silk, microfibers and double knits. Click the link above to go to the website, she has some nice garments on her site.
Dale C said... (6/4/03 4:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. It's good to know that this line is properly made for the plus size woman. Your outfit looks great and that set would be wonderful to do some fancy schmancy embellishments... hmm... ideas ideas!
Mbarkle said... (6/4/03 4:14 PM) Reply
It looks great. Is the pattern intended for a knit only? thanks for reviewing this, I've been curious about this line and haven't ever seen it made up.
Alana Robson said... (6/4/03 2:55 PM) Reply
Nancy, thanks for the through review. Unfortunately, the picture link doesn't work for me.

Violette Field Threads Stella