Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8601 (Bustier/corsage )

Reviewed by:Sylraiana

About Sylraianastar
Member since: 2/14/08
Posted on:4/18/08 7:16 PM
Last Updated:4/18/08 7:20 PM
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Formalwear
Sylraiana said... (8/19/08 9:37 AM) Reply
I agree with you, it's a good pattern to learn basics with and experiment with. If you'd put on straps and sew it in a stretch fabric, you'd have a lovely top. But you really do need creativity to make some thing out of this.
sara2so said... (5/1/08 4:34 AM) Reply
I have used this pattern with my classes as like you have said it is easy to make. But we have found that it is way too short and unless the body going inside it is under 5'4" it will generally need to be lengthened in the middle by around 1" and often lengthened at the bottom as well. The bust shaping is not very good if you are anything over a B/C cup as it tends to have a flattening effect on the bust but it has been successful for some of my students who where looking for a shortish bodice for dancewear.
Vintage Joan said... (4/18/08 9:44 PM) Reply
The pattern sounds like a beast, but I really like your creations from it!
WoodfordGormley said... (4/18/08 8:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for the warning. I like the colors and fabric you used, but I have no time to sew things that I'm not going to be able to wear, so I appreciate the warning about patterns not actually designed to fit a real human body.
Elona said... (4/18/08 8:20 PM) Reply
You know, they're all very pretty to look at, but Burda really steered customers wrong on the bust shaping of this corset. Running the boning right over the point of the breast, particularly with rigilene, just murders a potentially very pretty line. Have you looked at the Simplicity "historically correct" corsets? A very handsome one was featured in a recent review (although, as I recall, it also required quite a bit of alteration).