Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4400 (Misses Civil War Costume by Ma)

Reviewed by:Yarndiva

About Yarndivastar
Member since: 3/28/06
Posted on:4/19/08 11:03 PM
Last Updated:4/19/08 11:03 PM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes
wvsher said... (4/24/08 10:24 AM) Reply
Very pretty Civil War dress; you did a great job on it. You look like you stepped right out of that era.
Yarndiva said... (4/23/08 0:01 AM) Reply
Thank you for the responses. The fabric as a drapery taffeta, black in color. A nice heavy taffeta would have been better- especially silk. Thank you both for the suggestion for the hook and eyes for the skirt. I will do that.
Cressie said... (4/20/08 2:00 AM) Reply
I just finished my costume and I had the same issues. I really debated about putting in the bust pads. I know they are historic but I didn't know how to work with them. Maybe on the next day dress. I also used the hook and eye tape to attach the bodice to the skirt and it worked nicely, but takes longer to get dressed.
Mary Reed said... (4/19/08 11:31 PM) Reply
Thank you for the excellent review. Martha McCain is suppose to be one of the best, however, I also have difficulty sometimes understanding her directions. The silhouette is perfect!! Lovely, truly. I have yet to understand how to correctly connect the bodice. Instead, I have taken to using hook and eyes to connect them. It seems sensible and I can do it pretty quickly. What type of taffeta did you use? And, what color is it?
gotpeace91 said... (4/19/08 11:16 PM) Reply
wow, that is great! Looks lovely on you!

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress