Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4399 (Men's Shirts)

Reviewed by:michellep74

Last Updated:4/22/08 4:41 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
billorama said... (7/17/08 7:19 PM) Reply
I've made this shirt a lot of times now, and like the pattern too, the pieces fit nicely, the instructions are easy to follow. Thanks for the alteration tips link, I have a similar fit problem. What I desperately need help is to figure out how to adjust the neck size because basically, I don't have one. My skull is 23 inches around, my neck is 21 inches around. If I have to wear a tie, I look like I"m wearing a circus tent for a shirt, because guys with 21" necks are apparently supposed to be 7 feet tall and about 60" around the waist and I'm a petite 5'8 and a mere 48. :-)
fuzzygalore said... (4/24/08 2:01 AM) Reply
Really fabulous shirt for a fabulous guy! And yes, men sometimes need their equivalent of fbas too, with the same happy results :-). I've found this method for jackets which is very good: http://www.desmerrionbespoketailor.com/folders/weblog/20060913-2/
Sherril Miller said... (4/23/08 10:02 PM) Reply
Congratulations on getting a TNT pattern for DBF. It looks wonderful on him. Lucky him to have such a talented lady.
Heatherrique said... (4/23/08 6:19 PM) Reply
Fab and groovy shirt! It's also fun to sew for the men in our lives! David is a cutie pie!
cindyann said... (4/23/08 8:39 AM) Reply
You achived such an excellent fit for your boyfriend! I'm sure he is very pleased.
Peggy L said... (4/23/08 0:35 AM) Reply
Very nice shirt - great fabric.
SewLil said... (4/23/08 0:24 AM) Reply
That's a great looking shirt!
HeyJane said... (4/22/08 11:36 PM) Reply
He looks 'in style'!...this sounds like an excellent pattern. Thanks for the alterations links. Wonderful job on the shirt.
chemmom said... (4/22/08 11:30 PM) Reply
Like the fabric and the pattern. Looks like a high quality RTW shirt and with a very stylish color and pattern. Definitely make more.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/22/08 10:56 PM) Reply
Michelle, this is a great looking shirt and you've gotten a very fine fit for David's tall and large frame. I too think this fabric is just perfect, stylish yet quite masculine. Tell David he has a great eye for fabric and that we appreciate his modeling the fit and style for us. Very handsome, Lily
unfinishedprojects said... (4/22/08 7:51 PM) Reply
Great shirt! If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was RTW.
michellep74 said... (4/22/08 7:32 PM) Reply
Leora, I just did the first adjustment shown (slash up and out) because that one was the easiest to wrap my head around (as far as adding length and width vs. the diagonal slash).
Leora said... (4/22/08 7:27 PM) Reply
Hey Michelle, this shirt looks great! I'm not so clear on the alteration. Do you pick one or the other, or do both? How I wish I could have some of that fabric!!! Awesome job.
Michelle T said... (4/22/08 7:09 PM) Reply
Thank you for a great review. Shirts for my dh are on my sewing list this spring. He loves Hawaiian shirts and this looks like it will fit the bill.
ChristineBR said... (4/22/08 6:48 PM) Reply
Looks great. If David is anything like my guy, he will be telling everyone that you made it. All for the glory!
Joey in Katy said... (4/22/08 6:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for the link on altering the pattern -- will have to give that a try!
Athene said... (4/22/08 5:35 PM) Reply
Really nice shirt. Looks very good on David. I like the fabric pattern and how you placed the vertical lines a lot. I usually use a TNT Burda for my DH but I might have to add this McCall's pattern to my list - I like it very much. Thank you for the good review.

Vogue Patterns 7696 OOP

by: redside

by: mysticotal...

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)