Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8241 (Jacket and Dress)

Reviewed by:Annette1

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket    Plus

Mahogany Stylist said... (6/4/08 4:38 PM) Reply
Annette, What a lovely jacket for a lovely lady.
Sigrid. said... (5/21/08 5:31 AM) Reply
Annette, I didn't see your review till today, and enjoyed it! I had to read a bit further to understand the start of it, but it made me smile for the style of it, and for you because you did such a great job long distance! I'm very sure I couldn't make a fitting jacket with the adjustments you made for someone whose measurements I don't even know. The jacket is really wonderful, and your aunt will wear it with pride, I'm sure (telling everyone you made it). And I loved the last picture from your aunt all dressed up.
mssewcrazy said... (5/6/08 4:07 PM) Reply
I think the jacket is wonderful and even though I had decided on a pattern fast from buying patterns for a bit, I found this one oop and happily added it to the collection. Thank you for sharing the old photos as well- very touching.
lilyofthevalley said... (5/5/08 12:45 PM) Reply
Oh Annette, I'm so relieved that it fits her! I knew she'd love the style, fabric and buttons - they're so perfect - but the 'fit' thing was worrisome. This is a welcome relief and her note says it all - she loves it and sounds genuinely excited! (Hope you kept that list of pattern alterations you made). You're such a loving niece. Brava! -Lily
Luckylibbet said... (5/5/08 12:40 PM) Reply
What a sweetie-pie auntie! I am SO GLAD it fits and also SO GLAD that she loves it!
lynda828 said... (5/4/08 11:59 PM) Reply
How wonderful that it fits her good on you! See someone up there was watching all your measurements and made sure it would fit because it's definitely a 'love' job.
hongkongshopper said... (5/4/08 11:52 PM) Reply
How sweet! It must feel good that she is so happy with it.
Kay Y said... (5/4/08 10:18 PM) Reply
Wow - what a wonderful response from your aunt! I knew she would love it!
Peggy L said... (5/4/08 9:31 PM) Reply
Yeah!!! She sounds like a wonderful "auntie"!!!
lilyofthevalley said... (4/28/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Smart, classic and sophisticated, Annette, just like Aunt Ruth appears in her photos. And you, Miss Couture, are a GIFTED jacket designer; every tiny aspect of it is exquisite. If you ever teach a jacket making class, may I attend? Exquisite in every way, Annette. -Lily
Heatherrique said... (4/28/08 9:36 AM) Reply
Fantastic review! Aunt Ruth will adore this and I have this felling she'll want more of your cool creations! This jacket is darling!
annie11 said... (4/27/08 10:08 AM) Reply
The jacket is so lovely, and I know that your Aunt Ruth will be thrilled. The pictures of her and your family are heartwarming.
Danvillegirl said... (4/27/08 8:01 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. I love the color and the fabric is perfect for this jacket.
Karen8320 said... (4/27/08 5:51 AM) Reply
Annette, another fabulous garment! It has really turned out beautifully - what a superb red this is! I really do love all of the attention to detail that you give. I would never have thought of sew-in labels. They look great! I would never have thought of using a fancy stitch to sew things either. Now you've got me thinking about what I can do on my machine. You are a very generous niece and I'm sure that Aunt Anna Ruth will be thrilled!
Beve said... (4/26/08 10:52 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket! What a great job you did, VERY professional...
ryan's mom said... (4/26/08 8:43 PM) Reply
What a smart-looking, tailored jacket! She'll love it!
nancy2001 said... (4/26/08 7:25 PM) Reply
Annette, I love this jacket, and I'm sure your aunt will, too. Incidentally, the pin is a copy of a famous Tiffany design, I believe it's the Seagull pin.
goldenthreads said... (4/26/08 7:24 PM) Reply
Let us know how things turn out with Aunt Anna--- she sounds wonderful and you sound like a great neice. I love the outfit
cmarie12 said... (4/26/08 6:24 PM) Reply
It is a lovely jacket and sewn with a lot of love! I am sure that your aunt really will love it!
Debbie Cook said... (4/26/08 4:01 PM) Reply
Oops. I did something to make a duplicate comment. So I'll just take this opportunity to say again how pretty the jacket is. :-)
PegL said... (4/26/08 3:08 PM) Reply
The jacket is lovely but your review is priceless!
Debbie Cook said... (4/26/08 2:49 PM) Reply
Just FYI ... I'm 99.99% sure that Burda drafts for 5'6" not 5'8".
Annette1 said... (4/26/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Thanks for your comments everybody! Fuzzy Galore: Thanks for the info! I guess if I would READ THE DIRECTIONS I would have known they're made for somebody 5'8". :o) AND it just so happens I'm 5'8", so no wonder I like Burdas. The other pattern I am contemplating for Anna Ruth (if this one fits) IS a petite, actually, so that would be perfect. Then I probably wouldn't have to shorten anything. I ALMOST shortened the armholes on this one, but thought I'd better be safe than sorry.
Birgitte said... (4/26/08 1:14 PM) Reply
Annette, another gorgeous jacket. Loved your review, photos, stories. If this doesn't fit her, I think she won't hesitate to give you her size next time, seeing what impeccable and stylish things evolve from your artistic hands.
Kay Y said... (4/26/08 11:21 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous jacket - beautifully sewn. I would be astonished if your aunt doesn't love it!
Modiste Madness said... (4/26/08 10:39 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket. Isn't hard to sew for people that can't try it on during the process. Hope it works out well. Love the older pictures too!
ITAdmin said... (4/26/08 10:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful. I feel sure she'll like it, and my fingers are crossed that it fits.
carolynw said... (4/26/08 8:58 AM) Reply
This is a major beautiful jacket - just IF your aunt should say "no fit" you can have my mailing address. Seriously Annette you always do wonderful work but this is really over the top - it looks so professional - the color is beautiful - hope we can get a photo of your Aunt wearing it. Knowing how good you are with your sewing I would say the error is more than likely Burda's.
Peggy L said... (4/26/08 8:16 AM) Reply
Oh, I hope it fits. It looks like a great style for her and the pin is perfect. Red linen is a great fabric for Galveston in the summer!
hongkongshopper said... (4/26/08 5:28 AM) Reply
Wonderful photos! Your Aunt Ruth was (and still is) very pretty. She will love the jacket -how could she not!
lynda828 said... (4/26/08 4:37 AM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket and person you are to spend so much time creating something for your aunt. I hope it fits I'm sure it will. Thanks also for the review very informative I'm contemplating a jacket but am still devouring as much info as I can before I take the plunge.
fuzzygalore said... (4/26/08 4:10 AM) Reply
Just ignore Burda US sizes - their European ones are accurate, but they don't know what they're doing in US sizes, have always been 2 sizes too small compared to other patterns, and refuse to correct it. It does them a huge disservice, but that's their problem. They're made for a 5'8" height, but they tell you that in the size tables, for a 5'4" cutie you might want to try their petite pattern next time? Anyway, it's a really great jacket, and she'll probably look great in it. But I just wish present recipients would cooperate.. the teenage daughter who snarls at prom dress fittings, the auntie who doesn't want to give her size.. so trying :-).
xtreme1 said... (4/26/08 3:10 AM) Reply
Lovely jacket and the colour is wonderful. Beautifully sewn.
rivergum said... (4/26/08 2:14 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, very classy and so much nicer than the Burda photo. I love your buttons too. You must have a nice collection of broches as you always have such nice ones on your jackets.
Athene said... (4/26/08 2:09 AM) Reply
I think your aunt will really love this jacket so I really hope with you that it fits her. I love the pin and the buttons, your special label and the chain. All round its a beautiful jacket. I always enjoy your jacket reviews.
CynthiaSue said... (4/26/08 1:09 AM) Reply
very nice and professional looking. LOVE the buttons.
Debbie Cook said... (4/25/08 11:47 PM) Reply
I love this jacket, and your review! I hope your aunt (really) loves it too. When you get those new labels, send me some, OK? LOL!
christine A said... (4/25/08 11:04 PM) Reply