J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt
You'll learn :
  • 5 Different Bias Hemming Techniques
  • Working with a variety of fabrics
  • Matching stripes
  • Lining a bias skirt
  • Inserting a ripple free zipper
  • All with the help of HD video which you can play over and over again as many times as you want. Blog Announcements with more photos ">Put it on the Bias Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2859 (Vintage 1935 Blouse)

Viewed 1906 times
Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:4/28/08 11:46 AM
Last Updated:5/7/08 10:46 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
thegreatzaza said... (11/8/09 1:00 PM) Reply
Thanks for your thorough review (including the pix of wearing it backwards, and the bonus pin curl tips!) A really cute look on you. I think I like the way the floaty silk fabric looks with this top. I was also planning on extending the hemline, so your comments on two different lengths will really help also. Awesome job!
heapha said... (6/3/09 8:21 PM) Reply
thanks for the review/s. I absolutley adore your work, this is amazing and I am definatly going to give it a shot.
lilyofthevalley said... (5/8/08 1:14 PM) Reply
An absolutely charming component of your Wardrobe. The lines of the seersucker version are so crisp and the dolman sleeve/shoulder brace do make your waist look *miniscule.* You're a vintage Vision in this charming blouse. Lovely, Lily
carolynw said... (5/8/08 9:08 AM) Reply
Really beautiful - I love the silk fabric you used and as usual your great work shows through - you do manage to pull off the vintage look to the max!!
OP Gal said... (5/7/08 2:55 PM) Reply
Great looking blouse. I have the same seersucker from FM in pink. You've inspired me!
Em's Summer said... (5/7/08 12:53 PM) Reply
This is a VERY cute top and you look great in it! I think you're a throwback to the '30s! This style suits you perfectly!!!
Squeezylemon said... (5/7/08 11:00 AM) Reply
I think I like the seersucker version even better! (And as for it giving the illusion of a waist, sadly no pattern on this earth could do that for me!) But a wonderful blouse on you Nicegirl!
Karen6790 said... (5/7/08 10:58 AM) Reply
I love the difference fabric can make. You didn't make the same blouse again so soon, you made a completely different one. I like the silk best, but this is really cute.
shinta said... (5/5/08 4:54 AM) Reply
Very pretty blouse. Great fit too. I love how it can be reversible.
*Linda* said... (5/4/08 1:28 PM) Reply
What a beautiful blouse and a very flattering look!!
MissCelie said... (5/2/08 4:41 PM) Reply
You are so saucy and cute in this! You cannot wear this when we go out. All eyes would be on you!
pinkli said... (5/2/08 2:34 PM) Reply
That's a great version. I love this top. Thanks for the throwback too: I'm well chuffed now! (and dying to see if I can wear mine backwards...not sure!). Have fun wearing it : )
AquariJenn said... (5/2/08 2:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful top. Your hair is perfect! A very flattering style for you. Great job.
Christina Sonja said... (5/1/08 7:01 PM) Reply
Tres chic!
Christina Sonja said... (5/1/08 7:01 PM) Reply
Tres chic!
born2bead said... (4/29/08 5:09 PM) Reply
How much fun is this?! I've love vintage style clothing and I love the whole look you put together with the hair and everything. Fantastic!
Debbie Cook said... (4/29/08 4:37 PM) Reply
I always thought you had that Glam Girl thing going. Now I know it's true! Love the blouse, the backwards/forwards-ness, and the pincurls!
mylittleelephant said... (4/29/08 3:39 PM) Reply
Great fabric, amazing pattern, love it!
Sea-my said... (4/29/08 8:19 AM) Reply
So non-usual blouse. Lustre! And this is a great way you've done your hair.
Danvillegirl said... (4/29/08 6:49 AM) Reply
I love this blouse! Great job!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (4/29/08 2:01 AM) Reply
Love the styling in your photo. I have this pattern aging gracefully in my stash and must have another look at it. Your version is fabulous, I really love it worn back to front too.
Heatherrique said... (4/29/08 1:44 AM) Reply
Strikingly glamourous, NiceGirl! I am so glad you brought life to this Vogue pattern reissue....the illustrations do not do this top justice! You definitely captured the essence of 30's Hollywood chic a la the beautiful and talented Ann Sheridan
lilyofthevalley said... (4/29/08 1:18 AM) Reply
Your stunning photo is a Vision of vintage elegance, and you look positively gorgeous. Blouse, beautiful; fabric, beautiful; young woman, beautiful. Just perfect. -Lily
maiaj said... (4/28/08 11:14 PM) Reply
Wowie wow wow! Beautiful blouse and another great review!
Meggie LuLu said... (4/28/08 11:05 PM) Reply
That is SOOOOO COOL!!!!! Cool fabric!!!!! I love the way you did your hair to match the time period!!!
mrs quickly said... (4/28/08 10:38 PM) Reply
You look smashing! The blouse is beautiful. A perfect marriage of fabric and pattern and it looks great on you!. Love the pin curls!
Flying Seamstress said... (4/28/08 10:28 PM) Reply
FABULOUS! When I first looked at the pattern photo I thought about the blouse front & back being reversible, and you did it ~ bravo on a beautiful creation!
Mahler said... (4/28/08 9:43 PM) Reply
Oooooohhhhh ssssoooo beautiful, you look like a 1940 movie star ! You look so great wit h that blouse. Bravo !
cindy-lou said... (4/28/08 7:23 PM) Reply
Gowachuss! I lurve it too. You have an eye-- and great, great skill! It fits beautifully. And... I fondly remembered my mom rolling her hair in pin curls while reading your review. :)
Jacqui315 said... (4/28/08 7:13 PM) Reply
I'm in love with that blouse! I hadn't noticed it before. But I just checked my stash and I have that pattern. I guess I must've bought it just because it was from the 30's.
Marji said... (4/28/08 6:43 PM) Reply
That is a pattern that is perfect for you, and I *love the styling you did for the photo!
ladybegood said... (4/28/08 6:30 PM) Reply
Stunning! This top has been in my queue for a while, but I knew that it needed the right fabric. Your fabric is perfect for this pattern, and really complements the pattern's vintage details.
CarolynGM said... (4/28/08 5:49 PM) Reply
The colors in the print are absolutely perfect for you! That is one glamourous ensemble. Great photography too.
Squeezylemon said... (4/28/08 4:47 PM) Reply
Fabulous blouse, you look wonderful in it! I really enjoy your whole sewing lifestyle wardrobe, your creativity is inspiring Nicegirl!
narcissaqtpie said... (4/28/08 4:24 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! and your hair is soooooooooooo cute!
LindsayT said... (4/28/08 4:23 PM) Reply
You are really rockin' this vintage glam look. I love that you went all out with the hair and everything. You and this blouse are the cat's meow!
Athene said... (4/28/08 4:12 PM) Reply
Terrific vintage look. Also love the pin curls.
meli88a said... (4/28/08 3:57 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, thank you for this review - yours looks so wonderful I want to find where mine is right now.
AnneM said... (4/28/08 3:15 PM) Reply
That's useful. Getting dressed in the dark, half asleep, & it doesn't matter if it's frontwards or backwards. Great blouse, and you are adorabe with your pincurls. Make the jacket as well; I love that design. :)
Karen6790 said... (4/28/08 3:06 PM) Reply
Wow. Not sure what I like best - the blouse, the fabric or the pin curls! I love the two pieces together and completely understand why you couldn't wait for the next Vogue sale.
SueV said... (4/28/08 2:25 PM) Reply
very nice! I love your style and your creations!
frame said... (4/28/08 1:56 PM) Reply
Very pretty. Love the fabric on you.
PhyllisC said... (4/28/08 1:44 PM) Reply
I love seeing styled project photos! This is another pattern I've been orbiting for years. And you could also make the slip dress knee length instead of adding a peplum to the blouse; it would be really cute and comfortable with the blouse as daywear.
Barbara V said... (4/28/08 1:09 PM) Reply
Your blouse is so beautiful and looks terrific on you. Very flattering. What a nice opportunity to hear the Met's presentation on fabric folding techniques of the 20's. I loved your hair in bobby pins picture. My Mom used to do that to me - but in the 50's!!!!
ITAdmin said... (4/28/08 12:55 PM) Reply
Very pretty blouse. I love the fabric.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (4/28/08 12:34 PM) Reply
What acute blouse, great deal on the beautiful fabric. I have that pattern and am even more determined to sew it up now.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (4/28/08 12:22 PM) Reply
Terrific. I like how you styled your hair. I never really noticed this pattern. I might have to pick this one now.
maryfrana said... (4/28/08 11:59 AM) Reply
Never noticed this pattern before but now I have to have it and I want that silk too! Wow, this is spectacular and thanks for the detailed review.
squirrellypoo said... (4/28/08 11:54 AM) Reply
Simply stunning! This might be your most perfect blouse ever - the fit, the colour, the execution, everything! And that it works backwards AND forwards is just too good to be true!! I'm not sure which way I like it best...
Kellie R. said... (4/28/08 11:50 AM) Reply
What a pretty blouse! The history lesson on origami influences was very interesting too! Nice job!

by: Areeldoll