Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5191 (MISSES' JACKET, TOP, SASH, SKI)

Reviewed by:2BSewing

About 2BSewingstarstarstar
VA USA
Member since: 3/7/05
Posted on:4/28/08 8:31 PM

See other patterns in this category: Tops    Coat/Jacket    Pants    Skirts
2BSewing said... (5/4/08 9:19 PM) Reply
Hi Kat...I believe in simplicity when tying a sash. I may do a "single tie" and let the ends drape over each other. Or I'll do a knot and re-arrange the knot so it looks square. Sometimes, I'll re-work the "knot" and loosen it to get the shape of the knot I like and then tighten slightly. I've been practicing on "Susie-Q"...thank goodness for dressforms. Sounds like a good tutorial for me to create on my blog. :)
ryan's mom said... (5/4/08 1:57 PM) Reply
I love your top! I've been meaning to make a Simplicity pattern similar to this but it's (literally) just hanging out on the side of my fridge with a metal clip. It's even already altered. Do you have a special way to tie the sash? I couldn't tie a nice bow or knot if my life depended on it.
Luckylibbet said... (4/29/08 11:32 AM) Reply
Really cute - love those polka dots, and I agree, not a muslin at all. The pleats really add an oomph to the design, a great detail.
JDpenelope said... (4/29/08 7:08 AM) Reply
Great top. I so envy your talent and your sewing productivity. You have an eye for picking patterns and fabric that compliment each other, as you did here.
lilyofthevalley said... (4/29/08 2:15 AM) Reply
Beautiful little top and like everyone else, I like the slightly larger size for fit. The style is most flattering on you, and hope you'll make many more. Lovely, Lily
Sew4Fun said... (4/29/08 0:03 AM) Reply
Lovely top and I agree the bigger size is more flattering. Great job! I hope some spectacular fabric jumps out at your soon.
Athene said... (4/28/08 10:37 PM) Reply
You look lovely. I love this pattern - I bought it unfortunately in the wrong size, and now have to wait till the next Butterick sale to get it in the larger size.
Peggy L said... (4/28/08 9:45 PM) Reply
I wouldn't call that a muslin either. It looks great. Its really a nice style for you.
Sherril Miller said... (4/28/08 9:39 PM) Reply
Larger size was definitely better. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a muslin. It looks great.

Understanding Knit Fabrics