Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2008-104 (dress)

Reviewed by:mahalosu

About mahalosustar
Member since: 9/8/03
Posted on:5/6/08 4:34 PM
Last Updated:5/6/08 4:34 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 7 people    Needs More Info by 2 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
Athene said... (5/21/08 9:19 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress - just got my BWOF yesterday and think I will try to make this one very soon.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/14/08 1:32 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, what a winner with that terrific striped fabric, gorgeous lines...aaah perfection :)
Maychi said... (5/11/08 10:21 AM) Reply
What a fantastic dress! I need to make this one. It's simply perfect!
blue mooney said... (5/10/08 8:08 AM) Reply
Fantastic results!! That really is the perfect fabric for this dress. Good for you for getting busy with this issue right away. I am disappointed that this style only goes up to a 42.....maybe this will be my first experiment grading up.
lilyofthevalley said... (5/8/08 12:26 PM) Reply
You are a woman of action; see the pattern; own the fabric; sew the dress. Just like that! Your fabric could not be more perfect for this dress, and I love what the design lines do to your stripes. Your dress is utterly slimming and deadly attractive. Lovely, Lily
Nancywin said... (5/8/08 11:43 AM) Reply
This looks SO much better than in the magazine. Great job.
cathy45 said... (5/8/08 8:24 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I just love this pattern.
MelissaB in WA said... (5/8/08 0:16 AM) Reply
Awesome dress, you're so darn quick!!
Heatherrique said... (5/7/08 6:39 PM) Reply
Actually, your dress is more enticing than Burdee's! That's it, you persuaded me to add this to my growing list of projects!
mahalosu said... (5/7/08 5:26 PM) Reply
Ann, obviously I didn't really read the instructions because I didn't even know a zipper was involved! No, because I used a knit I skipped the zipper. It doesn't seem necessary. Plus the one time I tried to put a zipper on a knit I ended up ripping it out 3 times. That lesson was enough for me.
mahalosu said... (5/7/08 5:04 PM) Reply
Ann Smith said... (5/7/08 2:27 PM) Reply

Ann Smith said... (5/7/08 2:19 PM) Reply
I no sooner look at this in the magazine but it appears on PR! How cool is that. Great dress. Question: did you use the invisible zip as instructed? or can you get away without it?
mahalosu said... (5/7/08 1:21 PM) Reply
Sorry I didn't mention the fabric I used. It is a knit, and I would only do this dress in a knit. Thanks for all the great comments!
blessedtosew said... (5/7/08 12:35 PM) Reply
That is beautiful!!! I got my BWOF a couple of days ago, and there are so many things I want to me---that dress being one.
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/7/08 11:50 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress - can't wait to see it on!
Luckylibbet said... (5/7/08 11:31 AM) Reply
Wonderful marriage of fabric and pattern - stars were indeed in alignment.
SandraB said... (5/7/08 10:49 AM) Reply
This dress is gorgeous! Now I can't wait to get my May issue so that I can make one of these for myself. Can you say what type of fabric you used? Knit or woven?
nicegirl said... (5/7/08 10:40 AM) Reply
You are a speed demon! I wasn't sure about this in the magazine but your version looks great. Can't wait to see it on you, and would love to see side and back views as well as I really can't work out what they look like.
carolynw said... (5/7/08 8:57 AM) Reply
How beautiful is this!!! WOW!!
cindyann said... (5/7/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Man, that was quick! The dress looks wonderful. There are so many great patterns in this issue, I had my eye on this dress. Thanks!
Gold said... (5/7/08 7:21 AM) Reply
wow !!I love it!Very very cute dress!!
3kids1036 said... (5/7/08 7:20 AM) Reply
I am so planning on sewing this as soon as I get my magazine! I LOVE this! You did a fantastic job!
Danvillegirl said... (5/7/08 5:23 AM) Reply
Cute dress and you were fast.
Squeezylemon said... (5/7/08 4:38 AM) Reply
Fantastic dress! I haven't even got my copy by subscription yet, but I'll definitely have this at the top of my to do list! A wonderful project and choice of fabric, everything about it I love!
Gelbean said... (5/7/08 3:06 AM) Reply
I love this dress. I cut out the pattern for #103 last night (the shirt that is similar to this dress). I am hoping my top sews up as quickly as your dress. I think I'll also put this dress on my list of things to make. Thanks for the review.
Peacock Chic said... (5/7/08 1:39 AM) Reply
wow that was quick and Fabulous!!! I like the print with the belt buckle. Very nice.
Sew Confused said... (5/6/08 10:37 PM) Reply
Wow! Wow! Wow! You are fast! Your dress looks amazing, a perfect match of pattern and fabric. Well done! I can hardly wait to see you in it!
Barbara V said... (5/6/08 9:55 PM) Reply
I have been admiring this dress in the magazine for a couple of days. It's fun to see it suddently appear as a successful and beautiful project! Good Job!
CarolynGM said... (5/6/08 9:46 PM) Reply
PErfect dress to show off a stripe!
EveS said... (5/6/08 9:39 PM) Reply
DOH! You are speedy!!! And I am jealous. This is my fav out of this issue. I just can't wait to make this one! Thanks for confirming that it's a good one. Lovely choice of fabrics for the pattern, too!
trinicity said... (5/6/08 9:30 PM) Reply
OMG, okay, this is HOT
Allie in Hong Kong said... (5/6/08 8:48 PM) Reply
Where oh where is my May magazine, your dress looks more fab than theirs, good to know it's easy too.
AmyABQ said... (5/6/08 8:43 PM) Reply
Very nice - I'm super impressed that you finished that in an afternoon
Karen6790 said... (5/6/08 8:22 PM) Reply
You are fast! I got my issue on Monday and I'm almost done #103, the top that's similar to this dress. I love the wrap and buckle on this one, and your fabric is fabulous.
Meggie LuLu said... (5/6/08 8:21 PM) Reply
That is SOOO CUTE!!!! Great job!!! What a cool design!!!!!
Helen near Sydney said... (5/6/08 8:17 PM) Reply
Gorgeous fabric, gorgeous dress, wish I had a waist .....!
hongkongshopper said... (5/6/08 7:48 PM) Reply
Now that was quick! Very nice!!
cindy-lou said... (5/6/08 7:10 PM) Reply
Oh, thank you! Beautiful dress in beautiful fabric! I have this fantastic black stretch with vertical gold stripe... I saw this dress and thought 'hmmmm..... ' but your review seals it. Beautifully done!
mahalosu said... (5/6/08 7:00 PM) Reply
I will post an updated picture on me when someone becomes available to take it!
mahalosu said... (5/6/08 6:23 PM) Reply
I will post an updated picture on me when someone becomes available to take it!
cabinbaby said... (5/6/08 6:19 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this dres!!! This is one I really want to make. When do we get to see it on you?
Izzie said... (5/6/08 6:10 PM) Reply
Awesome dress! The fabric is perfect.
Puppy said... (5/6/08 6:01 PM) Reply
That's a "hot" dress"!
So So said... (5/6/08 5:58 PM) Reply
Wow , You have just possiably solved my dilemma- to sew or not to sew for my son's wedding- only thing stil waiting for my copy of this issue to reachmy newsagent. any day now and i will be making a muslin of this.Infact I think I might have the very fabric for a wearable muslin, how flattering using the stripes.Thanks I will now sleep tonight. Edit- Your version makes this dress BWOF version looks absolutley nothing. thanks again
michellep74 said... (5/6/08 5:37 PM) Reply
Wow! I can't believe you've finished this already--I just got my issue yesterday. Great choice of fabric--I like your version better than the one in the magazine!
Lori V said... (5/6/08 5:28 PM) Reply
Wow, you are quick. That is the perfect fabric and I like your buckle. Great job.
squirrellypoo said... (5/6/08 5:07 PM) Reply
It's lovely to see this made up already, wow! This one was the one that really stuck out for me in this issue, but mine hasn't even arrived yet!
SueV said... (5/6/08 4:42 PM) Reply
wow! perfect fabric and wonderful dress! I got my BWOF yesterday too, now to check out that pattern further! s

Fehr Trade 000

by: squirrelly...

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2002-130