Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8333 (Claire Shaeffer Couture Jacket)

Reviewed by:RMJ

About RMJstar
Member since: 12/14/06
Posted on:6/16/08 7:01 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 66 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
EmmieG said... (5/7/14 11:19 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. Thanks for the detailed review.
ak21 said... (1/2/12 10:10 AM) Reply
Wow, just gorgeous. you have inspired me to take this project on! I love your idea of colour contrast at the pockets - think ladies tux in black with black satin pocket detail..love, love, love. thanks for the inspiration.
4u2cme said... (1/7/10 5:01 PM) Reply
I also have this pattern in my stash. You did a great job on the jacket.
fiddlinglizzie said... (8/10/09 7:49 PM) Reply
Stunning! Thanks for the hints about fabric amounts. I've found whenever I am tailoring anything, or doing couture work, that purchasing an extra eighth or quarter yard is necessary. If I don't use the extra, I've got something to make a little cosmetic bag, or other accessory for myself or friends, which are useful last minute gifts too.
JamieLiz said... (12/27/08 9:19 PM) Reply
This is a really nice looking jacket, and a beautiful job on fit! Thanks for a great review -- very helpful.
sewbarbie said... (11/24/08 2:46 AM) Reply
WOW! This jacket is gorgeous! I love the fit and the pocket contrast, you must be very proud of this. I am just starting one and this has served as inspiration...thanks for the review.
velvetandlace said... (8/26/08 9:30 AM) Reply
Wow, that is incredible and very professional! What a lot of work! I have wanted to make this pattern for some time myself and would have made it for my own tailoring class if I hadn't been allergic to the wool they insisted we use. I still want to make it and this has inspired me even more! Congratulations on making this one!
kellyt said... (7/11/08 1:56 PM) Reply
Beautiful! You did a fabulous job!
EveS said... (6/28/08 0:40 AM) Reply
This is one of the patterns that really inspired me to get serious about sewing a couple of years ago. You have certainly done it justice...it's simply beautiful. And a very, very helpful review. Thank you for your attention to detail both in your sewing and your synopsis of the journey! Oh, and Ruthless? That may be the best dressform name I've heard yet (for a multitude of reasons). :)
pinkli said... (6/24/08 8:18 AM) Reply
This is one of the best pieces I have stumbled upon during my trawls through this site so far. Great attention to detail and craftmanship. It looks great on you, and I'm sure you'll wear the blazer for many years to come. Thanks for a great review and for inspiring me to take more effort. Couture techniques amaze and yet frighten me - but looking at the end result makes me think I should try it out. Thanks very much!
Charlene McGill said... (6/19/08 5:09 PM) Reply
AWESOME!!!!!
Beve said... (6/18/08 7:44 PM) Reply
What beautiful tailoring! This is a wonder...
Fictionfan said... (6/17/08 8:40 PM) Reply
You need to promote yourself to advanced now. That jacket is perfect! Minor details like what you chosse for the undercollar won't be noticed by anyone else, and the jacket fits you beautifully. Don't gain any weight! 8) Great job!
Jane S said... (6/17/08 7:10 PM) Reply
A spectacular jacket and such a helpfully detailed review. Thank you, I'm inspired!!
jhansby said... (6/17/08 5:42 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! Well done!!
quathy said... (6/17/08 5:38 PM) Reply
Very nice! Thank you for the very detailed review :)
AnneMarie60 said... (6/17/08 4:58 PM) Reply
Outstanding job--and I love the custom details.
Erica B. said... (6/17/08 3:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! I have this pattern also and plan to make this for the fall. Thanks for your review.
Peggy L said... (6/17/08 2:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket and an excellent review. I love your Harris tweed. You will enjoy this one for a long time.
frogs2 said... (6/17/08 1:23 PM) Reply
Wow. Just wow.
Annette1 said... (6/17/08 12:33 PM) Reply
PERFECT in every way. Your workmanship is TOP NOTCH, and the jacket looks FABULOUS on you.
moushka said... (6/17/08 10:55 AM) Reply
You really aced this one! Fabulous jacket and terrific review. Glad you had such success with your fabric. I'm sure you'll wear the jacket with great pleasure for many years. Sue
ITAdmin said... (6/17/08 10:41 AM) Reply
Congratulations on finishing this great jacket. Everything looks perfect.
Lisa Laree said... (6/17/08 9:52 AM) Reply
That is a fabulous, classy jacket and you'll wear it for YEARS! Thanks for sharing it with us!
jbrewer said... (6/17/08 9:03 AM) Reply
This is spectacular! The jacket and the review are both very well done. (??Step 92??! Holy Cow!)
CarolynGM said... (6/17/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Beautifully tailored with a superb fit. Congratulations on such a successful project. Your use of handsewing techniques is truly inspirational.
Mahler said... (6/17/08 8:18 AM) Reply
Superbe ! I have that pattern too. I admire your patience. I think there are 7 pages of instructions. Your version came out wonderfully. It seam freshly out of a tailor shop. The fit is perfect. Bravo !
Dei said... (6/17/08 8:03 AM) Reply
You outdid yourself. You've just given yourself a class in couture techniques and graduated with flying colors. The tweed is sharp, but the pink muslin isn't bad either. Well done.
Beek said... (6/17/08 7:46 AM) Reply
Great pattern and good job at it's execution. Timeless and gorgeous jacket.
yorkshire lass said... (6/17/08 7:14 AM) Reply
Stunning work. Thanks for a really helpful review. Enjoy wearing your wonderful jacket.
halleyscomet said... (6/17/08 7:11 AM) Reply
Wow....looks like it fits you perfectly! Great job!
Danvillegirl said... (6/17/08 5:19 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. Excellent workmanship.
Sigrid. said... (6/17/08 4:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, I do have a Claire Shaeffer couture pattern to try. Your review is very helpful.
Margie T said... (6/17/08 3:25 AM) Reply
Congratulations on a beautifully made jacket.
CurlyCrafter said... (6/17/08 0:22 AM) Reply
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thank you for sharing your jacket and review with us.
dbsewer said... (6/16/08 11:31 PM) Reply
You did an outstanding job on this jacket. Very classy.
nancy2001 said... (6/16/08 11:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful, classic jacket, great workmanship. I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it for many years.
Puppy said... (6/16/08 10:13 PM) Reply
Very impressive and handsome piece of clothing!
Lori V said... (6/16/08 10:11 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket.
carolynw said... (6/16/08 9:57 PM) Reply
I love your jacket - I always get "happy" when I see somthing made by a PR member that looks so professional - I know how much work goes into getting this result. Bravo!!
Heatherrique said... (6/16/08 8:56 PM) Reply
Ruth, this is certainly a beautiful and a timeless piece!
MagpieJen said... (6/16/08 8:51 PM) Reply
My word! Smashing! Good for you for using the tweed - it looks fantastic. This is just gorgeously made.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (6/16/08 8:43 PM) Reply
Wow! That is one beautiful jacket. Anyone that can produce that kind of garment is Not an intermediate sewer. Time to grade yourself up!
Karen8320 said... (6/16/08 8:42 PM) Reply
Ruth, what a magnificent piece of work this is!!! I am so impressed. You really have done a fabulous job. The fit looks wonderful and this jacket is such a stylish and classic look that you will get heaps of wear from it. Your review is most definitely helpful and I have learned a lot from it. Thank you. Wear this with pride!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/16/08 8:29 PM) Reply
Fantastic tailoring work and a very informative review too.
Athene said... (6/16/08 8:26 PM) Reply
Wow, this jacket is really special. The fit is great and I love the look. Thank you for such a thorough review.
Gelbean said... (6/16/08 8:03 PM) Reply
This jacket looks like it was made for you. Oh wait, it was. :) Excellent job and very detailed and informative review.
hongkongshopper said... (6/16/08 7:58 PM) Reply
You have done a fabulous job. And the fabric and style are very classic. You will get many years out of this jacket. Great review too.
frame said... (6/16/08 7:21 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Thanks for the very thorough review.
Olivia Sews said... (5/28/08 1:07 PM) Reply
It looks great!! Luv the tweed. It's a great time to get started on fall projects.
Kay Y said... (5/28/08 1:03 PM) Reply
It's looking good! The tweed seems to be taking a liking to this jacket pattern, which I have and hope to make someday.
Second Avenue said... (5/28/08 1:02 PM) Reply
Fabulous work, Ruth! I have been wanting to make this jacket every since I saw the pattern. The lines of the design are really flattering. Keep sewing! Second Avenue
Marita Kinnula said... (5/28/08 11:26 AM) Reply
I love your fabric, it's gorgeous, this far it looks very good:-) I also got this pattern when it was issued but it's still waiting for the right moment. Go girl!!!
nancy2001 said... (5/28/08 11:15 AM) Reply
Wow. I guess I was completely wrong. It looks like the Harris tweed is an excellent choice for your jacket.
MarilynB said... (5/19/08 4:47 PM) Reply
Love the way your jacket looks. I have had this pattern in my stash since it first came out and have been wanting to make this for the longest time. I think the Harris Tweed may be too heavy for this jacket. Also, you would have to treat the herringbone tweed like a stripe and make sure everything lines up exactly. Maybe if it wasn't so fitted it would be a good choice. I look forward to seeing your final results.
moushka said... (5/19/08 2:44 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket! If your husband likes the colour on you, then I'd try to find some lightweight wool in colour close to it, and make it up. It would be beautiful. I think V8007 (also Claire Shaeffer's) would be more suitable for your Harris tweed, although I agree it's not as spectacular as this jacket. V8007 doesn't require the tight corners that this one does that I think would be difficult to execute cleanly in a tweed, but it still has very flattering lines. Good luck, whatever you decide. Sue
Karine said... (5/19/08 9:05 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting this. I have the pattern but have not made it. After seeing your muslin, I like the pattern even more! I love the lines, especially on the back. Very slimming - makes it look like you have a 24" waist! Personally, I'd be afraid to use the Harris Tweed on such a fitted jacket. I always equate Harris Tweed with classic style, comfortable, understated. I wonder if this jacket has too much pizazz? I'll be interested in your final garment!
jent said... (5/19/08 7:22 AM) Reply
I have this pattern sitting in my stash. It's such a beautiful jacket. I just haven't found the right fabric yet.
CynthiaSue said... (5/19/08 1:35 AM) Reply
I just made a very similar jacket in tailoring class. I did use wool crepe and was both thankful and not thankful. The crepe is better for very fitted jacket but the tweed would have been much more user friendly. Crepe shows everything and you have to be an expert at all your tailoring skills, notched collars, roll lines, pressing, darts etc because crepe hides NOTHING! Tweed hides much. I think the tweed would work as long as it is not coating weight. Your muslin certainly looks like you know what you are doing!
Jennifer shaw said... (5/19/08 0:29 AM) Reply
Wow, this is one great looking muslin! I may have to take the plunge and get this pattern. I am excited to read about your progress with the fitting and when you start with your beautiful fabric..
Athene said... (5/18/08 10:46 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review - I have the pattern so I will follow your WIP with great interest. So far the muslin looks very good. Also helpful knowing that you had to raise the armhole a bit and take a bit off the shoulder.
goldenthreads said... (5/18/08 8:54 PM) Reply
You're right. This pattern has very good "bones". I've looked at it a dozen times without really seeing it. You've inspired me to go and buy this one. Good luck proceeding on the real thing. This looks like a great start.

by: cybperry