Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5223 (Misses' Jacket)

Reviewed by:2BSewing

About 2BSewingstarstarstar
VA USA
Member since: 3/7/05
Posted on:5/19/08 5:19 PM
Last Updated:8/15/08 8:04 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Other Projects by 2BSewing using this Pattern

Winifred said... (8/18/08 6:40 PM) Reply
They are all - GORGEOUS !!!
Flying Seamstress said... (8/16/08 6:29 AM) Reply
This jacket design is a wonderful style on you! All your jackets/tops from this pattern are beautiful and you did a fantastic job with your fabric choices. Based on your earlier reviews, I purchased this pattern, now just gotta get to it...
KG2 said... (8/16/08 0:33 AM) Reply
You did a great job! AGAIN! I too, love this jacket. I have not done buttonholes yet.... I keep thinking I will go back on do button holes on mine though....Thanks for the review!
kimmielovesparis said... (8/15/08 10:02 PM) Reply
Super cute! I love you jacket and by all the comments here, so does everyone else. I gotta get this pattern. Thanks for the review.
Debbie Cook said... (6/30/08 11:46 PM) Reply
All 3 versions are really wonderful. I just bought this pattern so I'm catching up on the reviews for it. I love that last print ... very cute on you.
Annette1 said... (6/5/08 2:49 PM) Reply
This is MY favorite, too! That fabric suits this pattern and your sunny personality perfectly. :o)
ryan's mom said... (6/5/08 1:44 PM) Reply
All your versions of this are absolutely perfect!!! They look stylish, comfortable, and very RTW!
Rhoda K said... (6/5/08 10:37 AM) Reply
Good looking jackets and great review!
Nancywin said... (6/5/08 0:50 AM) Reply
so so cute! This is just the ticket when you just need a little something to cover up - or for a shirt. Very nice.
CurlyCrafter said... (6/5/08 0:01 AM) Reply
What a great jacket! You did a wonderful job and it's so lovely.
JDpenelope said... (6/4/08 11:41 PM) Reply
OK. Now I simply must get this pattern, whether it is on sale or not. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade: Your faux buttons demonstrate your genius for overcoming obstacles. I really like this pattern.
Dee2 said... (6/4/08 10:31 PM) Reply
Another beautiful top! Now I really have to have this pattern. Thanks for all the details on the changes you made.
Athene said... (6/4/08 8:12 PM) Reply
Love your new version also. Very helpful review - I could not resist - I bought the pattern today.
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/27/08 2:35 PM) Reply
Love your new floral version - just perfect for summer!
Annette1 said... (5/27/08 2:06 AM) Reply
This little jacket is just as cute as it can be! I love the flowered print for summer. :o)
Heatherrique said... (5/26/08 10:07 PM) Reply
Your versions are more enticing than what's picture don the envelope! You look marvelous!
LorrieAnn said... (5/26/08 9:53 PM) Reply
Both jackets(tops) look great - you did a very neat sewing and fitting job. Thanks for these reviews - am going to get the pattern.
JDpenelope said... (5/21/08 8:35 AM) Reply
It is so you! It's good to know that an intermediate sew-ist can get such good results from a jacket pattern. With your excellent descriptions and cautions, I just might get up the nerve to try it.
gatorgirl4325 said... (5/20/08 10:32 AM) Reply
I really like that jacket on you - it has a very contemporary look to it! It fits you well and the color is fabulous on you!
Jane S said... (5/20/08 8:40 AM) Reply
Wow, your jacket looks wonderful, lovely color and very stylish silouette. Thanks for sewing and reviewing it so quickly; I just bought this one and was curious as to what people thought of those pleats. Great buttonhole save, also.
carolynw said... (5/20/08 8:15 AM) Reply
I love your jacket - as usual you look as cute as a button and the color is for you!! Am adding this pattern to must get list. Thanks for such a helpful review
ryan's mom said... (5/20/08 7:16 AM) Reply
VERY cute! I love this!! Beautiful color, clean lines, and it looks great on you :) .
Danvillegirl said... (5/20/08 6:52 AM) Reply
I keep eyeing this pattern as I like the way it looks on the envelope. Glad to read your review, looks good on you.
BillieJean said... (5/20/08 6:13 AM) Reply
I just love this!!!
Athene said... (5/19/08 10:52 PM) Reply
I love your jacket - you look great in it. Nice to know about the sizing running fairly large. I think I will have to add this one to my list at the next Butterick sale.
Aunt Gail said... (5/19/08 10:25 PM) Reply
You just look TOO CUTE in this outfit! And how wonderful that other gals on here were able to help with a mini-disaster ( e.g. button holes=my worst fear)! With anything linen-nee ( made up word) I try to just do old fashioned stay stiching around every piece @ the beginning. A pro sewer told me so much "linen" now days has heavy duty amts of RAYON which is great to stretch out! great job. My jo-anns has buttericks on sale this week for a buck 99 - so this pattern just hit my list!
Aunt Gail said... (5/19/08 10:18 PM) Reply
BeckyC said... (5/19/08 9:50 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful on you! Your fabric choice and color is perfect for the style. A wearable muslin -- lucky you! I'm glad that you were able to repair your buttonhole - no one (except your FoPR) will ever know. : )
fabeins said... (5/19/08 8:33 PM) Reply
I love that jacket! Nice job.
mochalover said... (5/19/08 7:28 PM) Reply
Nice job. I picked this pattern up at the last sale you have inspired me to give it try.
merry-one said... (5/19/08 7:13 PM) Reply
Looks great and very stylish.
2BSewing said... (5/19/08 7:00 PM) Reply
Kellie, Judy, & Sue...thank you for the wonderful complements. I get such a "sewing high" when a pattern and fabric produces a comfy & wearable garment. Rhonda...I've been sewing a size 10 in some garments that have quite a bit of ease. If the garment is fitted, I've have to go up to a size 12. That's my personal findings so far. I started tracing Kwik Sew patterns and now it has become a natural habit for me. Plus, I am not too fond of the Big 4 pattern tissue. Thanks again for the complements.
sewsue said... (5/19/08 5:48 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review, I noticed this pattern yesterday when browsing on a pattern web site. I love it and after your review I am convinced I MUST have it too! Your jacket looks lovely.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (5/19/08 5:41 PM) Reply
Great jacket!! You like jackets lots, too, eh!! Do you USUALLY sew a size 10? (Should I stick to my "usual" size for this jacket?) You look fab in blue & black--that's why you have lots. Although the "fad" is HUGE buttons, I find we have our limits as Petites, eh!! Tell me, WHY did you trace your pattern? Do you usually? GREAT JOB!!
Judy Wentz said... (5/19/08 5:32 PM) Reply
Very flattering!!
Kellie R. said... (5/19/08 5:27 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you wrote a review for this!!! I love everything about this - the color, the fabric and pleated detailing. You did a great job; thanks for all of the photos and the great review! Enjoy wearing it - you look great!

by: Sheila457