Pattern Reviews> Studio Kat Designs> 01300 (The Odyssey)

Reviewed by:quathy

About quathystar
Member since: 6/3/06
Posted on:7/7/08 3:01 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
kineret said... (10/7/08 2:05 PM) Reply
I'm struggling with the GadAbout pattern right now and find this review spot on, almost identical with my experience, excluding mistakes - which I have not yet made (but am in imminent danger of making any moment..) Thank you for an accurate and honest review.
quathy said... (7/8/08 11:39 AM) Reply
thanks kellymailinglist for reminding me to post the photos... i'd forgotten about this work in progress - i guess i'm just too distractable! marthamyers - i did the quilting using my Bernina 630 BSR, a free-motion quilting foot that regulates the stitching. i didn't use batting, just stabilized with interfacing and away i went. it was FUN... and yes i did find the instructions a little overwhelming, but mostly that is because my brain just doesn't think in '3D' so i have a hard time understanding pattern instructions in general ;) thanks everyone for your kind words - i'm sure if you try this pattern you will be just as pleasantly surprised as me. i can't wait to make another!!
Patti B said... (7/8/08 11:00 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous backpack bag! It was worth the puzzling and reworking. Your choice of fabrics and the quilting makes this quite spectacular in a chic way. Congrats on a job very well done!
marthamyers said... (7/8/08 9:46 AM) Reply
Another great pattern from Studio Kat! Thanks for the review. Your result is lovely. I hope you'll email it to the folks at Studio Kat so they can post it on their site. The quilting is wonderful. Did you do that with a long-arm or with an ordinary sewing machine? BTW, I've made several Studio Kat designs and find them all to be a bit confusing, mostly because the designs are so great and different. My approach is always to just do what she says and it generally works great. I also have had to apply binding by hand with her patterns due to the thick layers. Nice work!
Clareew said... (7/8/08 2:51 AM) Reply
Brilliant. I have the pattern for the Gadabout bag but have been put off making it because to the copious instructions. Maybe if I try I will get a bag half as good as yours.
Heatherrique said... (7/7/08 8:26 PM) Reply
Very cute and nifty!
CurlyCrafter said... (7/7/08 6:11 PM) Reply
Such beautiful quilting on the purse and it's a great style and size.
QuiltersFan said... (7/7/08 5:56 PM) Reply
Love the bag. Well done on the quilting. I am in the middle of making my first handbag and I can see that there will be more in the future. Thanks for the review.
SewLil said... (7/7/08 4:37 PM) Reply
What a great bag!
maryfrana said... (7/7/08 3:05 PM) Reply
This is just outstanding. Thank you for powering through it and reviewing it. I would be giddy too if I had made it. Kudos.
kellymailinglist said... (7/6/08 8:14 AM) Reply
I'm a backpack purse fan, too, but since I'm a vegetarian, I prefer not to have leather, and as you point out, that's what almost all backpack purses are made from! That's why I'm particularly interested in this pattern. I'm glad you got results you're happy with, even if it was a trial, and I doubt your difficulty with the instructions was due to any inadequacy on your part. Clear, simple instructions are obviously few and far between, if you are to go by the huge number of comments we folks on PR have on them! I'd love to see a pic when you get a chance. Thanks for reviewing this!

Sew Much Ado The Seafarer Top

by: KateS

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Lazy Girl Designs Bendy Bag Paper Pattern