Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5204 (Italian Blouse)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Lisa Laree said... (10/9/03 9:44 PM) Reply
Mini has hit the nail on the head...the blouse fits and drapes pretty, but the instructions and the misprints on the pattern are very disappointing. That's something I've noticed about a number of the independant pattern designers (I can think of three off the top of my head); makes me wonder if they proofread their products before they're marketed....
Mini said... (10/9/03 7:22 PM) Reply
Lisa, you should be teaching a class in creative problem solving! Teri, for what it is worth, this blouse pattern is very similar in style to the Kwik Sew blouse pattern in the Easy Sewing the Kwik Sew Way book. There are differences, but they are minor. The mock cuff/band detail is nice but you can get it from a sewing book. Claire Schaeffer's Sewing Shortcuts has a version that is easier to do. This is a nice enough blouse, but the instructions are, frankly, awful for a pattern this expensive.
Julie Culshaw said... (10/9/03 7:00 PM) Reply
What a wonderful thorough review. thanks so much - I appreciate all the detail you gave us. And your blouse looks great on you. Julie
Teri said... (6/30/03 2:59 PM) Reply
Lisa, I love your pictures. What a great outfit! Your shirt looks like it has a very nice cut.....I might just have to give it a try.
Georgene said... (6/30/03 0:53 AM) Reply
Lisa, this is a great looking ensemble. I like your twin print, and the way you put them together.
Jules/Vancouver BC said... (6/30/03 0:03 AM) Reply
That's a very stylish looking outfit, Lisa - perfect for so many different situations...I like your mix of prints - I didn't notice the tiny print on the collar at first, but when I looked at it again, I have to agree with you that it was a good choice - the big print might have been overwhelming. Very flattering lines on you too!
Lisa Laree said... (6/29/03 7:51 PM) Reply
Teri, I haven't tried any of the KS campshirt style blouses yet, so I can't compare them (I have one in the 'to do' pile, though!). I'm going to have to fix the CF (therefore button/buttonholes) mark, but the rest of it was pretty much just being aware of potential problems (like knowing to stop the collar stitching at the dots). If you've made shirts like this, between the guide sheet and the reviews it wouldn't be a big deal; if you've never made one before, KS might be a better start; if nothing else, the instructions will be better (and it will be a bit cheaper...;) )
Teri said... (6/29/03 6:49 PM) Reply
Lisa, thanks for the very good review. I have my eye on this pattern. Is it good enough that the fussing with it is worth it? Not to mention the price? Or can you get the same results from a KS pattern?
Mini said... (6/29/03 6:17 PM) Reply
Good and interesting review. The instructions for this pattern are just not very good, so your comments will be very helpful. As you noticed, the fit in the pattern cover photo is not what the blouse looks like on most people. The model may be wearing a blouse several sizes too big: the shoulders look very dropped on her blouse, and she appears to have shoulder pads holding them up. I agree that this isn't a beginner pattern because of the drafting and instruction glitches.

by: cybperry