Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 02-2008-119 (Sleeveless Top)

Reviewed by:Cynthaz

Posted on:6/3/08 8:14 AM
Last Updated:6/3/08 8:23 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people

Athene said... (7/6/08 2:45 AM) Reply
Your top turned out great and such a fabulous print fabric. Congratulations on figuring out the collar - I made this pattern previously and I couldn't figure out the collar on my own, I had to refer to Nancywin's instructions on PR.
AnneM said... (7/5/08 1:51 PM) Reply
Fun top, congratulations. The advantage of sewing is that you can make your tops as distinctive as you want! (re your comment about not wanting to make a boring top.)
Sew4Fun said... (7/2/08 6:27 AM) Reply
Really nice top! Awesome job for your third garment, especially trying to follow Burda's instructions. Btw, Sharpie pens are now available in Oz. Safeway sell them and I'm sure other outlets would too.
kellymailinglist said... (6/28/08 10:00 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! Don't worry about how long it took... you've ended up with a project to be proud of!
Cynthaz said... (6/11/08 10:21 PM) Reply
Sadly Sharpies are not available in Australia. I'm currently trying a plain old ball point pen on the waxed lunch paper. It's actually working pretty well!
MagpieJen said... (6/10/08 12:36 PM) Reply
Great review! Groovy Pucci-inspired top - I adore it! For tracing I always use sheet plastic (I get mine in rolls at the hardware store for very cheap) and felt markers ('Sharpies').
misscoleen said... (6/4/08 7:46 AM) Reply
Wow, i'm really impressed and inspired. Great looking top on you! Coleen
Gelbean said... (6/3/08 7:35 PM) Reply
BWOF doesn't provide easy instructions for beginners. You seem to have mastered the foreign language of BWOF perfectly. Your shirt is beautiful. Excellent job!
patrica said... (6/3/08 7:24 PM) Reply
Congrats on your top very nice, great job.I use a double tracing wheel on waxed paper, for bwof it works just fine.
Annette1 said... (6/3/08 5:25 PM) Reply
Your perserverance has definitely paid off, as your top turned out SO beautifully! I LOVE that collar -- it was worth the two hours, ha! You'd better whip up a couple more, now than you have it mastered. :o)
fabeins said... (6/3/08 11:43 AM) Reply
Very nice top.
lcavagnolo said... (6/3/08 11:27 AM) Reply
So cute! Instead of a sharpie, you could always use your tracing wheel, too. I've found this works really well with the BWOF patterns, or you can trace them onto interfacing instead. Best of luck in the contest! :)
inkstain said... (6/3/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Great top! I use rolls of tissue paper sold in our grocery store for gift-wrapping. One side is glazed and the other side isn't--the plain side actually clings to the Burda sheet so there's less slippage and Iuse a simple sharpened pencil to trace the stitching line. Then I use a Clover wheel edging along plain carbon paper, held just clear of the side of the pencil line, to add the cutting line along a seam allowance of 1.5 cm. Best of luck with your future projects.
VtMartha said... (6/3/08 11:11 AM) Reply
Great blouse - your print is wonderful in this top!
Marji said... (6/3/08 10:57 AM) Reply
Congratulations! on several counts - Congrats on being the first entry finished in the contest. Big congrats on a garment beautifully constructed and well done. I'd say you have a bright sewing future ahead of you.
NicholeMc said... (6/3/08 10:56 AM) Reply
AWESOME job. I would never have guessed this was only your third garment ever. Love the print, love the style. Keep up the great work - you should be very proud!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (6/3/08 10:53 AM) Reply
Congratulations you did a fantastic job, your top looks great and you picked a perfect fabric for it. I've been sewing BWOF for years and I could not figure out that collar at all without help from other reviewers here.
michellep74 said... (6/3/08 10:52 AM) Reply
Wow--I can't believe that this is only your third garment. It looks great! Congrats on tackling your first BWOF.
sewing for fun said... (6/3/08 10:35 AM) Reply
Great top, fun print! I suggest using artsist's or drafstsmans parchment type tracing paper, thinnest weight you can get for tracing instead of wax paper (get mine form an art supply shop). I use Sharpie markers with extra fine point. I trace a LOT of Burda patterns. My dining room table has a glass top, I put a lamp without shade underneath and voila - a light box perfect for tracing Burda patterns.
Sigrid. said... (6/3/08 9:38 AM) Reply
Your top is wonderful. Really nice to see your results. Wouldn't have thought you just started sewing. (And you're proof that BWOF is not as difficult as a lot of people seem to think).
Nancywin said... (6/3/08 9:08 AM) Reply
Your top turned out great! Sorry you had to spend so much time on the collar - lesson learned: read the reviews BEFORE you make the garment (I have to keep reminding myself of that.) I made a tutorial on how to do the collar on my review of this top :-) Glad you figured it out - it turned out really well.
dbsewer said... (6/3/08 8:29 AM) Reply
You did a great job. Love the fabric. Aren't you brave to tackle BWOF as a beginner.
squirrellypoo said... (6/3/08 8:21 AM) Reply
Your shirt looks fabulous!! I'm so sorry you had such trouble with the collar instructions - they really are awful, but one of the first reviewers of this pattern took the time to write out and photograph exactly how to construct it which made this so much easier when I was sewing this up! Rule one of PR: read previous reviews before tearing your hair out! ;)

by: FreyaStark

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

U-Handbag: Lisa Lam It's a Cinch Tote