Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics
Eureka! Pants that Fit.">Fun with Fitting - PANTS Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2889 (Oscar de la Renta gown)

Reviewed by:Georgene

About Georgenestarstarstarstar
Member since: 10/5/02
Skill level:Expert/Couture
Posted on:6/8/08 3:18 AM
Last Updated:6/8/08 3:37 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
pammieh said... (7/26/09 8:53 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!! Thanks for the honest and entertaining review!
Maileen said... (8/22/08 0:06 AM) Reply
I am currently sewing my wedding dress from this pattern, and I'm so glad to have found your review! So far I am about halfway through, though I skipped the invisible zipper part; I'll have to check out the link you provided. Thanks so much for the photos and for writing about it, this will surely help me as I'm sewing.
Mahogany Stylist said... (6/20/08 12:05 PM) Reply
Outstanding!
cindyann said... (6/12/08 4:42 PM) Reply
Georgene, I've been out of it so I missed this post until today. Can I say WOW? Just fantastic. Very chic save with the addition of the shoulder straps. They really look fantastic.
Mahler said... (6/10/08 7:19 PM) Reply
A piece of Art !!!! with a capital A. The shoulder straps are brillant... and I love the dress and dr martens combination. Vous êtes mon idole de la couture. M-a-g-n-i-f-i-q-u-e! et quelle belle fille également.
Jennifer shaw said... (6/10/08 1:12 AM) Reply
A collaborative coup for you and DD. This is one amazing and crackin gown on the elusive and beautiful DD.
Nancy K said... (6/9/08 1:22 PM) Reply
A beautiful girl in a gorgeous dress! Am I wrong or did the Vogue designer patterns of old actually have good directions? A labor of love. I loved the accessories that make the dress 'fierce' and fun.
Harriet Rogers said... (6/9/08 12:24 PM) Reply
Georgene: I WANT ONE! This is absolutely fabulous: just the dress for my "fantasy" life: nightly attendance at balls and operas with a handsome, worshipping escort! What a great dress: the order I would place with you would be for black silk taffeta. Thanks for "dressing" my dream-life!
meli88a said... (6/9/08 11:21 AM) Reply
wow, wow, wow - your daughter was the belle of the ball in the dress!
joan said... (6/9/08 11:01 AM) Reply
Georgene, the gown (and DD) are absolutely stunning. What a work of love you and she created. Love the denim, Doc Martens and make-up to enhance the whole image. Will we get to see it at BABES???
rmardel said... (6/9/08 6:56 AM) Reply
What a beautiful, elegant dress (and daughter). Your knowledge and expertise shine here (and part of that is knowing when and where to turn for assistance) and the dress reaally shines. I think the last-minute sleeves look like they were part of the design of the dress. Great save.
solosmocker said... (6/8/08 9:22 PM) Reply
Exquisite gown!
AnneM said... (6/8/08 7:54 PM) Reply
Wow. And Wow again. Beautiful dress. I really like the shoulders you added; they go so perfectly with the character of the dress.
Irene said... (6/8/08 2:20 PM) Reply
Your DD looks wonderful--and why not, having all her expectations met by Mom's skillful hands? What a fabulous way to celebrate these last days of high school.
Cecile Owens said... (6/8/08 2:06 PM) Reply
The dress and your daughter are a knockout! The boots are a terrific addition. She must have been(or will be) the Belle of the Ball & I think this pattern would make a beautiful wedding dress (maybe shelve the boots).
Liana said... (6/8/08 1:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful. A real work of art, and a labor of love. Vague indeed! It took someone with actual knowledge and practice to make this work, and you did it with no problem. Great job, and a beautiful (and helpful!) DD.
Ann Smith said... (6/8/08 12:31 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress on your beautiful daughter! I think your last minute shoulder/back coverage is brilliant and to me looks totally compatible with the dress design.
Erica B. said... (6/8/08 12:13 PM) Reply
What a fabulous "red carpet worthy" dress on a beautiful young lady! THIS is how young ladies should look for prom!
Frogstitcher said... (6/8/08 11:19 AM) Reply
Wow, this dress is gorgeous. I can't even imagine the hours you and your DD put into create this beauty.
MaryBeth said... (6/8/08 11:14 AM) Reply
Fabulous outcome especially considering the difficult pattern and fabrics. We're lucky to have the extra resources like Kenneth King and Susan Khalje's works as well as Els' zipper tutorial to see us through these types of often last minute, truly must-be-head-turning sewing jobs. Congrats to you and DD both!
GorgeousFabrics said... (6/8/08 9:03 AM) Reply
Beautiful, fabulous, jawdropping! Oh, and the dress is pretty too! ;-)
Kay Y said... (6/8/08 8:55 AM) Reply
That is one amazing dress!
Luckylibbet said... (6/8/08 8:42 AM) Reply
Stunning! Thanks for the heads up about being on your own.
LorelleD said... (6/8/08 7:04 AM) Reply
A beautiful dress. Your daughter looks gorgeous in it. I really like the choice of accessories.
Karla Kizer said... (6/8/08 6:57 AM) Reply
The results are fabulous and the review is both helpful and frightening. What a project! Warn your lovely DD that she will be getting married in this dress.
lyra said... (6/8/08 5:54 AM) Reply
Wow, it's gorgeous. I really love the deep blue color and that amazing skirt. :)
Georgene said... (6/8/08 4:53 AM) Reply
Just wanted to add that the double layer skirt is actually an effect made by bustling the longer length front skirt up to the lip of the underbodice structure. (all sewn by hand, of course). This was sooooo unclear from the instructions, it took me several readings to even come close to understanding this.
Athene said... (6/8/08 4:19 AM) Reply
A very beautiful gown and your DD looks fabulous in it.
Elona said... (6/8/08 3:26 AM) Reply