Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5049 (Butterick by Connie Crawford)

Reviewed by:jbsew

About jbsewstarstar
Member since: 9/9/05
Posted on:6/12/08 4:15 PM
Last Updated:6/12/08 4:15 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 30 people

Klutzy said... (3/31/12 9:10 AM) Reply
I just bought this and am encouraged by the look of your lovely dress! I was urged to get this particular pattern by an expert seamstress who says it flatters every figure type.
carlton said... (5/21/09 7:48 AM) Reply
have just bought this pattern,in the instructions you do not place the cb to the fold but it does not tell you to seam the cb,very odd do like it though,jane
jbsew said... (8/10/08 5:34 PM) Reply
on this pattern the twin tucks work for the shaping and I don't think a dart is necessary
SavannahSue said... (8/2/08 8:00 PM) Reply
Great review and Great dress! I've got several of her patterns and wonder why most of them have no darts for us "mature figures". Would you recommend adding one?
jbsew said... (7/16/08 6:19 AM) Reply
I purchased the pattern at the local fabric store for $1.50 when Butterick patterns were on a great sale. I don't know about the on line service. No zipper - it is easy to slide on and off. I've had lots of compliments on the dress and have worn it to 2 weddings this summer.
CAgirl said... (7/15/08 3:51 PM) Reply
Lovely! I almost bought this pattern today, but resisted until I checked for a review! Thank you. Did you buy this pattern online or from a fabric store? She says the online patterns differ in paper /envelope quality and that customer support is for the online shopper. Just wondering... also, is a zipper required or is the neck opening large enough? Again... lovely dress!
Cherr said... (6/26/08 7:09 PM) Reply
Thanks, I plan to make this dress soon in a linen fabric with a matching jacket.
wvsher said... (6/13/08 3:28 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress! Thanks for the review.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (6/13/08 7:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful spring dress!
jbsew said... (6/13/08 7:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for the kind comments. The widest width on the size 16 was 20" so it would work on 44" fabric. I think as the sizes increase it would not work because of the flare of the skirt. Here is what the pattern says about fabric choices - " soft light to mediumweight fabrics: rayon, knits, cotton or linen."
Athene said... (6/12/08 10:18 PM) Reply
Lovely colors - it looks like a great summer dress.
LorrieAnn said... (6/12/08 6:53 PM) Reply
I love your fabric - gorgeous colors - and you did a beautiful sewing job. I see the pattern (online, at least) only specifies 60" fabric. Could 44" be used?
dbsewer said... (6/12/08 5:57 PM) Reply
Is this pattern sized for knits? It's awfully cute and looks like a perfect summer dress. I love your fabric choice.
CurlyCrafter said... (6/12/08 5:43 PM) Reply
That's such lovely material and looks like a comfy and pretty dress for summer!