Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB027BH (Blue Sky Hats)

Reviewed by:LindsayT

About LindsayTstarstarstar
Member since: 8/2/07
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:6/26/08 9:41 AM
Last Updated:6/26/08 9:43 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 8 people
Sewingmi said... (6/26/08 5:24 PM) Reply
Very cute hat! It's great that you could modify it so it's just perfect for you!
Darla in PA said... (6/26/08 4:34 PM) Reply
Your hat turned out very nice and I would think that it looks great with a black suit. As far as the interfacing for the brim, there is a couple of weights of Peltex that are available. Peltex 70 is rather thick and Peltex 50 is a heavy-weight interfacing. Both are washable. Buckram would make a nice stiff brim but I'm unsure about the washability. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that. Good luck with your next hat!
Clareew said... (6/26/08 2:20 PM) Reply
Great hat, it has got my hat creative juices going. How about Buckram for stiffening? (I live in the UK and don't know whether it is available in the US)
pterion said... (6/26/08 1:38 PM) Reply
Love your hat. I have the pattern but have yet to make it. I would probably trim away some of that extra width like you did- it seems excessive.
HeyJane said... (6/26/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Love your edging idea! That's a great timesaver. I used cloth-backed foam in mine (1/4 inch) because it's light and dries quickly if you get the hat wet (which I do constantly wearing it in the pool). It worked well but ideally I am on the lookout for 1/8 inch foam but haven't been able to find it yet. There are also other closed-cell foams around that are even thinner but would still maintain the shape. Love your fabric, I can picture that it looks wonderful with a black suit.
Karen6790 said... (6/26/08 11:38 AM) Reply
This is so cute. I don't wear hats pretty much for the same reason, so it's nice to know the pattern covers up to XL. Love the edge treatment and the bling.
nicegirl said... (6/26/08 11:31 AM) Reply
That is so cute! I really love what you did with the edge of the brim, and the nailheads.
sewing for fun said... (6/26/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I suggest TimTex, which is a good stiff interfacing for hat brims, purses and the like. Another alternative at your local fabric store is the fusible stuff they use to make window shades - it's super-stiff fusible. The hat's very cute - hope you will make another and update the review when you have solved the stiffener problem!
sewonandsewforth said... (6/26/08 10:38 AM) Reply
Your hat looks great! I don't think you need the brim any bigger (deeper?) that it is; it is perfect the way it is. Good job and I hope you enjoy wearing it at the beach this summer. Looking forward to seeing any future ones you make, too.

by: emr