Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 05-2007-19 (Hooded sweat jacket)

Reviewed by:Elsie14

About Elsie14
PA
Member since: 9/5/07
Posted on:6/30/08 9:55 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
Patzee said... (5/20/09 5:58 PM) Reply
Very helpful review. Thanks for the tip about the sizing.
jlbrannon said... (11/16/08 8:49 PM) Reply
I've been waiting to do my daughter's hoodie until I could find ribbing for the cuff. It looks like you did fine with the same fabric as the rest, so I may try that. Thanks.
Vintage Joan said... (10/19/08 10:58 PM) Reply
Fantastic work -- what a beautiful sweatshirt jacket.
kyartslave said... (8/30/08 8:28 AM) Reply
Lovely hoddie, I REALLY like that you shared the truth about the zipper. :)
Athene said... (7/11/08 8:21 PM) Reply
This hooded jacket looks great. Very well done.
Karla Kizer said... (7/5/08 6:34 PM) Reply
If someone said your jacket had a pricey name brand on the label, I would have no reason to suspect otherwise. It looks great!
AnneM said... (7/5/08 6:28 PM) Reply
Great sweatshirt. And it's a nice compliment that your DS wants one also. I really like the sweatshirt style, with the zip-up & the hood. Looks like you are on your way to a great sewing adventure.
CarolynGM said... (7/5/08 4:50 PM) Reply
Wow. I'm really impressed with that zipper and the entire hoodie for that matter. You'll be a sewing maestro in no time.
Elsie14 said... (7/2/08 9:07 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone! It was a little tricky lining everything up when inserting the zipper. When I first machine basted it in, I noticed that the 2 sides were off by about 1/8 - 1/4", and the perfectionist in me couldn't stand it, so I ripped it out. I then matched them up by drawing a chalk line across the zipper where the top of the pocket and the hemband should be and I used wonder tape and a couple of pins to make sure it stayed in the right place when I basted it again. It was a little depressing to rip out such a long zipper when it was so close to being right, but I do feel like it was worth it. I'm hoping that as I get more experience I'll be better able to keep things lined up the first time!
Sew4Fun said... (7/1/08 7:01 PM) Reply
Great hoodie! Very nicely finished. I'm also impressed with your zipper and how the bottom and pocket edges line up. I probably shouldn't tell you but this is hard to do. :) You should be very pleased with your first efforts at putting in a separating zipper.
busyozmum said... (7/1/08 6:01 PM) Reply
Wow! It looks amazing. You did a great job and a great review. :o)
ladybirdlove said... (7/1/08 12:19 PM) Reply
Excellent work!! This looks great!
shesflipped said... (6/30/08 10:51 PM) Reply
I love your sweatshirt! What a great project for the beginner contest~great job on the zipper! (something I haven't dared to try yet.)
misscoleen said... (6/30/08 10:36 PM) Reply
You did really nice work. It fits you perfectly. Congatulations - nice review too. BTW, you can use a longer zipper then needed, just cut off the excess and bartack across the teeth. It is easier apply a zipper when the zipper is longer because the pull can be beyond where you sewing, you don't have to try to sew around it. :)
rebija said... (6/30/08 10:33 PM) Reply
Wow. Your sweatshirt looks great! I've heard that Ottobre paterns are a little challenging. Thanks for the motivation!
JMarie1962 said... (6/30/08 10:31 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job on this sweatshirt! Plus... how on earth were you so lucky to find a zipper that matched your fabric exactly?? Wow!
CherylStillSews said... (6/30/08 10:25 PM) Reply
Nice job & great colour. Thanks for the reminder on this pattern - I need to make some sweat jackets and I'd forgotten about this one.

by: KathleenS