Pattern Reviews> Other> Issue 67 (Pretty in Pink, AustralianS&E)

Reviewed by:Kbenco

Last Updated:6/27/08 5:15 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 1 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Annette1 said... (6/29/08 0:57 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress for a beautiful little girl, and all the more special because of the story that comes along with it. :o) I LOVE smocking.
MagpieJen said... (6/28/08 1:44 AM) Reply
What a lovely story to go along with that sweet dress!
Kbenco said... (6/27/08 6:50 PM) Reply
Thank you for your kind comments, I agree, she is a gorgeous baby! Connie, Viyella is a finely woven wool fabric, originally English, I think. It tended to be expensive, due to its high quality. It does not seem to be readily available anymore, which is a great pity, as it is fabulous in drape and feel for dresses, blouses etc. It is a traditional fabric for baby clothes. I have only ever seen 2 pieces of it, one from my MIL that you see in the photo, and another that Marji who is a moderator here generously sent me. She said her fabric is about the same vintage. If anyone knows of a source for Viyella, please leave a comment, as I would love to get my hands on more of it!
Mahler said... (6/27/08 5:42 PM) Reply
Wonderful little dress worn by a real model.
Sandi S said... (6/27/08 1:01 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress! With that fabric, it is definitely an heirloom piece.
Heatherrique said... (6/27/08 12:11 PM) Reply
Such an enchanting and precious picture of the beautiful baby in her lovely attire! I see that baby adores her dress! Wow, you added your magic to a 35 year old fabric and the dress will be a treasured memento in the family! Your talents are so admirable and inspiring!
tatterbat said... (6/27/08 9:14 AM) Reply
Very pretty dress, and love the generational connection. My Mom had cut out and half-sewn baby dresses that were for me when I got married. Sadly, she'd passed them on before my own daughter was born.
CA Eisenhour said... (6/27/08 9:13 AM) Reply
Your little dress is so beautiful! I just received my smocking books, now to learn to do this fabulous craft! I'm so envious of you gals with this marvelous gift of smocking. Gorgeous work! BTW, what is Viyella? I've never heard of it before. ~Connie
JenniferBee said... (6/27/08 5:50 AM) Reply
Gorgeous baby and of course the dress is gorgeous as well. :-) Isn't Viyella a dream to work with, sadly I don't have any in my stash.

by: Missland1