Pattern Reviews> Petite Plus Patterns> 103 (Button Front Blouse)

Reviewed by:kellymailinglist

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Plus
fourkid said... (2/26/09 11:43 AM) Reply
Beautiful bouse - I think it looks great. I just ordered the pattern and have been reading reviews of it first. Thank you for you honest and great review - keep sewing - you are doing great!!
said... (7/12/08 2:47 AM) Reply
Congratulations! I think this blouse looks great and I *love* the fabric. You may not be entirely happy with it but think of it this way: you learned to do a whole bunch of techniques *and* you came away with a lovely, wearable blouse instead of a wadder. BTW, thanks for sending on the mis-sent BWoF issues. They arrived today and I hope that the package I have sent you arrives soon. (Couldn't send you this message directly since your PR settings have receiving personal messages turned *off*.)
Click here if you wish to edit your comment
Athene said... (7/11/08 7:28 PM) Reply
A very well done job on the blouse. You got a very good fit.
Heatherrique said... (7/11/08 8:42 AM) Reply
Fantastic fabric and style! Your version is more enticing than what I see from the pattern! Hey, I empathize with your experiences. I still have those moments, especially when I misinterpret and cannot interpret given steps! Very helpful, entertainig, and lively review!;-}
kellymailinglist said... (7/11/08 6:36 AM) Reply
Hi all: Just wanted to thank everyone once again for the kind remarks. Fictionfan, I'm glad to know that even more experienced sewers found those steps problematic--I feel a little less brainless, so thanks! I also wanted to mention that the book I'm finding most valuable right now for basic stuff is Connie Crawford Amaden's book on Fashion Sewing (can't think of the exact name at the moment). It was very helpful with this project and I've found it to be for most others, too.
Sew4Fun said... (7/10/08 7:22 AM) Reply
You did a wonderful job on this shirt, especially given there were so many firsts. Well done!
AnneM said... (7/5/08 11:15 PM) Reply
Great job. The fit, while not perfect, is certainly is reasonable - definitely wearable.
michellep74 said... (6/29/08 3:29 PM) Reply
Wow, you really did a great job on this! This is a pretty challenging project for a beginner, and I think that you executed it very well. You should be proud of all of your hard work!
Jane S said... (6/29/08 12:36 PM) Reply
Wow, you've learned so much on this one pattern, bravo. Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy your new shirt. I think your details made it really work for you...and I think you picture manipulation is so enjoyable.
Fictionfan said... (6/29/08 11:57 AM) Reply
You did a great job on this blouse, especially considering that you had no help with those tricky steps. They really should have had an illustration for that kind of step, because even I as an experienced sewer had to read that a few times before I figured out what they wanted you to do. You are on your way to sewing anything you want! If you can figure out this pattern without having done facings and interfacing and side slits before, there is no limit for what you can accomplish. However, I suggest that you invest in a good reference book, like Reader's Digest Complete Book of Sewing or Vogue book of sewing or Simplicity's book (that one may be out of print). With a reference book that has good illustrations, you would not need to consult tea leaves in order to put your item together! You don't look dumpy in that blouse, BTW. The style looks on you as it is supposed to look. But maybe what you want is more shaping with waist darts to achieve a more fitted silhouettte?
QuiltersFan said... (6/29/08 11:23 AM) Reply
Great review and wonderful job on the top. You obviously also have talent in manipulating photos to alter the background and add text details which is a nice touch. I liked the X stitching of the button with contrasting thread. Thanks for sharing the tip on button shank length - new for me.
Peggy L said... (6/29/08 9:34 AM) Reply
Nice job and informative review.
Mary Stiefer said... (6/28/08 11:22 AM) Reply
What a great looking blouse. All of your persistence paid off because you certainly have a winner here.
ChristineBR said... (6/28/08 9:40 AM) Reply
It might have been tricky, but the style DOES work for you.
tashainflorence said... (6/28/08 9:30 AM) Reply
You are so not alone with those kinds of instructions, believe me! I think this top looks great, and I like the top-stitching. Very cool fabric & buttons. Brava!
kellymailinglist said... (6/27/08 9:22 PM) Reply
Hi guys--Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one forever wondering about pattern instructions. Sigh. And craftygamma, I, too, would probably never spend $20 for a pattern. I bought this one for far less from a PR classified! Gotta love it!
Meggie LuLu said... (6/27/08 7:39 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! You did such a NICE job!!! It's looks WONDERFUL!!!
craftygamma said... (6/27/08 6:57 PM) Reply
Love your review--so realistic! I have carried fabric & pattern instructions into different rooms hoping that would help me understand them, like maybe if I sit in my favorite chair it will come to me..sure. I, too, hate it when facings don't stay in place. I never thought of doing a decorative stitch for double duty. Good job! A $20 pattern??? It would have to sew the garment for me in order for me to spend that much.
kjcaron said... (6/27/08 6:13 PM) Reply
It's looks great! You did a wonderful job sewing this!
misscoleen said... (6/27/08 4:49 PM) Reply
Very nice top. AND I really enjoyed reading about your adventures in sewing this one up especially the tea leaves comment - how i can relate to that one!

by: ladyithis

by: pinkcatflo...

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)