Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2005 (Choice of T-shirts)

Reviewed by:Alliekat

Posted on:7/17/03 8:08 PM
Last Updated:9/26/03 9:00 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
Everyday Sewist said... (9/27/03 6:45 AM) Reply
I had the same problem with the neckline, the first time I made this t-shirt. I think the technique in the pattern instructions requires a lot of "fussing" with the neckline which (especially for beginners) can cause it to stretch out of shape. I was able to get my neckline almost back to "normal" by steaming it a lot. Also, sometimes the quality or type of the fabric can make all the difference. Some knits just have better recovery than others.
Georgene said... (9/26/03 1:07 PM) Reply
Allie, it just looks like you need to make the band you are setting in to your neckline shorter so you are stretching the band into the neck. Then when you release it, the neckband draws in and your neckline won't look stretched out. You are definately making progress, and I bet your next tee is even better.
AnneM said... (9/26/03 12:02 PM) Reply
Good job. Isn't it fun to see the progress from one project to the next? !
Alliekat said... (7/18/03 11:16 AM) Reply
That's a good idea, Karla. Thank you. Oh, and my husband pointed out to me this morning (when I told him about my first review) that the pattern has more than 3 pieces...oops!
Karla Kizer said... (7/18/03 9:10 AM) Reply
Alliekat, try measuring a knit shirt that fits you well. Measure across the front and back at the bottom of the armhole, then compare the measurements to different sizes on the Jalie pattern (remember to subtract the seam allowances.) That's how I found the size that closely matched my daughter's favorite close-fitting t-shirt. You are on the right track. Once you have the fit you want, you'll love thispattern. Keep us posted on the results.
Deepika said... (7/17/03 11:52 PM) Reply
so cool to have someone teach you! Very well written review and great t-shirt. Thanks!
Alliekat said... (7/17/03 11:52 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone! I'll definitely post pictures of next week's t-shirts too.
AnneM said... (7/17/03 9:48 PM) Reply
Congrats! I really have to consider getting this pattern; everyone gets such good results with it.
Jeanine said... (7/17/03 8:29 PM) Reply
I like your shirt, and it's so great that you have someone teaching you.
Lou. said... (7/17/03 8:28 PM) Reply
HI there Alliekat! You picked a great pattern as a starter! My first Jalie T shirt was a size too big as well, fingers crossed for next week! For a first attempt you did great! I don't know how many patterns you have but Kwik Sew T's are also good, Kwik Sew 3036 only has 2 pattern pieces and still gives a good shape!
Pam Z said... (7/17/03 8:26 PM) Reply
So lucky to have an Aunt to teach you! Be patient & practice often. Sewing is a very rewarding hobby. The process is as much fun for me as the new garment is to wear :)
Pattern Work
Pattern Work

Sure-Fit Designs Dress Kit

by: Annette Wr...

by: aaltje

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)

Islander Sewing Systems Details Express Shirt (Size 1X-4X)

SewBaby Quick and Comfy Dresses Pattern