Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 2094 (Misses Tops 8 Great Looks)

Reviewed by:Charlene McGill

About Charlene McGill
USA
Member since: 3/15/06
Posted on:7/8/08 4:37 PM
Last Updated:7/13/08 1:15 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Nancywin said... (1/20/09 11:36 PM) Reply
I'm planning on making this blouse soon and just saw your review. this looks great on you and I think you got the fit down pretty well. NIce job!
knitlitcamper said... (7/17/08 4:06 AM) Reply
Your blouse turned out beautiful!
Mary Stiefer said... (7/14/08 10:39 AM) Reply
Wow - this looks like it fits perfectly. Well done - all of your research paid off.
QuiltersFan said... (7/13/08 10:34 AM) Reply
Great blouse. Really nice job. Flat fell seams are on my short list of things to learn to do. Yours have inspired me to move it to the top.
Mahogany Stylist said... (7/13/08 8:28 AM) Reply
Carlene, Congratulations on conquering your fitting issues. Your blouse is lovely. Well done.
tr1c14 said... (7/9/08 1:22 PM) Reply
Wow - perfect blouse much? It fits you beautifully! I've hereby added this pattern to my wish list.
Charlene McGill said... (7/8/08 10:19 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for taking the time out to read my review. Also, thanks for the wonderful comments and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated.
Debbie Cook said... (7/8/08 9:35 PM) Reply
Your blouse looks great. The color is pretty on you, and the fit looks wonderful. I hope you're proud of yourself - you deserve to be!
Annette1 said... (7/8/08 5:56 PM) Reply
Well, you may have had fitting problems about two years ago, but you by-gosh don't NOW. :o) This is a BEAUTIFUL blouse, and you look SO pretty in that color (which I think is a pale blue, right)? I've got this pattern too. I've always loved it, but seeing yours, I'm even more inspired to make it up! As for curved hems, I've done them in a variety of ways. If it's a shirt hem, then I'll turn up 5/8" and press, then turn up another 5/8" and press (or thereabouts, you know). Also, I very often add side slits at the hem, because they work well with my hippy figure, OKAY :o), and that makes it easier to maneuver the curves at the side too, because now you have a breaking point at the side. Or if I have a fabric that's pretty pliable, like a wool crepe or something, you can sometimes just steam out the little gathers that are irritatingly forming at the top edge of your hem. If that doesn't work, though, you can also run a basting stitch along the bottom edge, then press your hem up, and what won't steam out, you can gather slightly by pulling the basting thead, then steam the heck out of it. :o) OR sometimes I just say the heck with it, sew a piece of seam binding to the right side of the bottom, press it up to the wrong side, and stitch it down by machine or by hand, whichever my little heart desires. HOWEVER, all that being said, I don't see that you had ANY problem with the hem! :o)
CurlyCrafter said... (7/8/08 5:52 PM) Reply
Very classy blouse and it looks like you have a great fit!
bananaoil said... (7/8/08 5:38 PM) Reply
Hi Charlene, Your blouse looks very nice, just think how many variations you'll be able to make now you've taken the time to fit the pattern. I drafted a personal sloper this spring and so far have made 2 blouses and a shirtwaist dress with my pattern and am about to jump up and make a sleeveless blouse pattern to help with the heat. When I make a shaped hem, I PRESS that puppy into place before I stitch it. If the pressing (and some little pulling of the curve to make it go the right way) doesn't make it lie flat enough, I'll even hand baste it down. The trick is to make sure it's smooth before you go to the machine.
Plantwizard said... (7/8/08 5:38 PM) Reply
Nice shirt and it looks like it fits you well. Hey, anyone besides me think Deepika should have a contest for "Best Photo Shot in the Bathroom Mirror"? Pattern Review is a great place for checking out bathroom mirrors if you're planning a remodel!
HeyJane said... (7/8/08 5:12 PM) Reply
Wow that looks great on you! You can run a gathering stitch on the curved hem to ease in the fullness. Thanks for the info on this pattern. I'm off to your blog.....
Beek said... (7/8/08 5:06 PM) Reply
Gorgeous and feminine blouse. You look exquisite in it!

BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2013-119