Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8096 (Vogue Men shirts)

Reviewed by:Beech FiveEight

About Beech FiveEightstar
MA USA
Member since: 5/29/08
Posted on:7/13/08 4:33 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
Mufffet said... (12/1/08 8:15 PM) Reply
WOW...great sewing! I like the fabric and the detailing is excellent! It pays to let your little ones use that sewing machine. They grow up sewing!
MaryBeth said... (10/23/08 11:29 AM) Reply
I love making men's shirts, have used this pattern and appreciate your review and photos. Nice to get a stitching man's view point. Your fabric photographs well. It is hard to find good men's shirtings but MichaelsFabrics.com gets some nice ones in (Zegna). Also Margaret Islander has a DVD you can rent now (!) on attaching the band to the collar and it is a technique I find very helpful. Hope to see more from you!
EveS said... (9/25/08 11:55 PM) Reply
Great shirt!! I'm one of the "odd" ones that likes to make men's shirts...lots of straight lines and cooperative fabric. A refreshing change from darts, gathers, zippers, sheers,........ Nice work and helpful review!
Beech FiveEight said... (7/15/08 7:46 PM) Reply
I want to thank you all for your kind comments. You all are really great. I have been thinking about what y'all are saying about men's wear being difficult to make. I think I feel the same way about making clothes for DW. You just have a horse-sense of what works and what doesn't. Not having this just puts you outside of your comfort zone. I think dresses are hard!!! So the one thing that gives me the comfort zone when I sew women's clothing is to measure meticulously. I keep a ruler (in metric!) at the sewing table, and another one at the ironing board-just like having a pair of clippers at each sewing machine. You don't want to have to go looking for something when you need it so often. Anyhoo, this was my crutch, might work for you. Mark Zieg
Kbenco said... (7/15/08 5:48 AM) Reply
I have this pattern but am unbelievably chicken about making a shirt for my husband. I think mens' clothing looks really tricky to sew. You have done a fantastic job. Thank you for your very helpful review.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/14/08 10:48 AM) Reply
Wow - you did a great job.
Bernadette W said... (7/14/08 10:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful work--you rock!
Athene said... (7/14/08 4:27 AM) Reply
Definitely very impressive results - I appreciate just how much time it takes to make a good looking mens shirt.
Margie T said... (7/14/08 2:57 AM) Reply
Congratulations on a great shirt.
Annette1 said... (7/13/08 11:20 PM) Reply
Man, you look like a million bucks in this outfit! Very classy. :o) Look how PEREFCTLY the lines on your pocket line up with the lines on the shirt. Is this trick photography? Ha! I do envy you being in Boston with (I would imagine) lots of wonderful fabrics from which to choose.
Karen8320 said... (7/13/08 9:02 PM) Reply
Fantastic work!!! You have done such a great job on that collar and on the felled seams. I am really impressed by your work. This is a seriously smart looking shirt!
Kay Y said... (7/13/08 8:41 PM) Reply
IMO the collar & stand is one of the trickiest things to sew in the entire world and your results look very professional. Superb.
Lynngray said... (7/13/08 6:16 PM) Reply
Great job. I just got this pattern also. I'm hoping I will be able to do it. Thanks for the great review.
Fictionfan said... (7/13/08 5:57 PM) Reply
WOW! This is a great looking shirt! Beautiful job on the felled seams.
Beek said... (7/13/08 5:24 PM) Reply
Great looking shirt and pants. I always felt that mens' clothing is SO much more difficult and time consuming than womens' clothing. So my hat is off to you!
frame said... (7/13/08 5:20 PM) Reply
Nice job. I really like the fabric you used. Thanks for the helpful review.

by: Jonni Ange...